Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • Can somebody please explain to me the logic behind the patches names? I see names like, Pictoris, Quantum X, Orion, Rocket, GOP6 AQ2 'AQUAMOTION', SPANmyBITCHup, Flow Motion, Zero Gravity... and the list goes on and on. I noticed different flavors of Quantum X with different version numbers. Do these names have a real meaning? Who name the patch, the tester that creates it?

• Q: How can I revert my camera back to the original Panasonic firmware?

Copy the Panasonic firmware file to the root folder of an SD card formatted by your camera.
    Make sure there is only one firmware file on the SD card.
    Make sure the camera battery is fully charged.
    Turn off the camera and insert the SD card.
    Turn on the camera and press the green Playback Mode button.
    Select Yes in the Version Up screen and press the OK button.

Is this still work with the new Ptool? I tried but it won't. Also I have to bring up the number like Now GH2__v15.bin, next change settign should be Gh2__v15.bin. Worry abt I will end up with GH2__v20 then it won't work any more! Any one could explain?

• Thanks for all the great work and info on here, guys, but this really is just a monster amount of a thing for a newbie to wander into.

Looking for VERY STABLE (lots of people involved, and it would be a nightmare to have to reshoot) solution for highest practical quality indoor studio greenscreen work. Output will be youtube.

Recommendations are: Video Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Bit rate mode : Variable Bit rate : 5 500 Kbps +++ Width : 1 920 pixels Height : 1 080 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate mode : Constant Frame rate : 29.970 fps Scan type : Progressive

Audio Format : AAC Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 256 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Channel positions : Front: L R Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz

If it matters for matching gh2 patch codec with NLE, I have FCP available at a friend's place, and I think he has AE as well.

I've read up as much as I can about quantum 9b, orion, short GOP, etc, but think I need a bit of a step back to absorb the big picture before comitting to the details. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for greenscreen, it would be preferable to go with GOP 1 since the key requires getting the crispest edges possible, and longer GOP are by definition blurring the very edges I'm trying to sharpen. Right so far?

Also, it would seem that shooting in 1080 gives more total color information, so even if it gets dropped down later to 720, I started with more color info, and key should be better. Right?

I can either buy memory cards, or a blackmagic card... will do whichever gives best results, but the more I read about the hdmi output, the less I'm sure it's worth the issues that come with it.

So, am I on the right track here? Is the basic direction I want to be going to shoot 1080p with GOP 1 onto spanning class 10 cards? If not, I'd appreciate any pointers as they will help to determine the exact patch that fits my optimal workflow. If so, what about the framerate? Don't really see 29.97 being discussed much.

thx.

• Thanks for all of the hard work and great utilities for making the GH2 a phenomenal camera. I love the results!

I'm using spanmybitchup v2b settings by @driftwood with the new ptools and firmware 1.1. I shot almost two consecutive hours of video on 24L last night, and I noticed that time remaining seemed very unreliable. I've read that some of the VBR settings will cause the time remaining to change depending on the type of scene shot, but this dropped much faster than it indicated even while shooting a static scene. Is there any reliable way to determine time remaining on a card or should I just test my settings and cards and see how long I get?

Also, I'm obviously interested in settings for shooting long continuous shots and I was thinking about testing out Rocket, but I can't figure out what the differences between it and spanmybitchup are, any info or recommendations on that?

Thanks again!

• @csync thanks! Any idea on the greyed out iso choices or the viewfinder darkening when i hit record?

• New here and looking for some info before I decide which camera I'll buy.

I'm currently working on an art project for which I'm making photos with a particular composition. I'm making series of pictures all based on 4 different geometric constructions. Since I've started this I've dreamt about a firmware hack that would enable me to use custom grid lines. Last week I found out Magic Lantern allows you to make custom crop marks and grid lines in their hack for canon 600D and the likes. But the 95% OVF doesn't fit my shooting style and the live view is slow and cumbersome. And the 7D is too big to take anywhere (I always carry my laptop and drawing stuff as well) I'ld rather go with m43 and EVF.

For the GH2 I only found this quote from Vitaliy:

is it possible to create a custom gridline overlay?

In theory, yes. Right now - no.

So my question - if anyone can answer this one: Do you think custom grid lines will be available within the next months on the GH2? If the G3 gets hacked, will it also get the same functionality?

I could keep working with transparent film with marker lines. But since this is a long term project, having these grid lines in camera would be awesome. And I'm willing to make a donation for this of course!

cheers, pitrak

• So orion is out, but i'm not sure if I should go to it from quantum v9b. What i'm most confused about is how this patch relates to other settings.

Like if I put orion on, what does it do to my 720p settings? I'm currently using "sage's" nine patch.

And the 720p stuff is amazing.

Does orion help in this department?

• @bullet2 - an easy way to check is to divide the file size by the length of the clip. You can also use @cbrandin's wonderful StreamParser to more closely have a look.

• EOSHD Guide states to shoot at Cinema 24p, if I shoot at Cinema 24p with Aquamotion v2 Hack am I still getting the 88m/s?

PV's FAQ page states to shoot at HBR.

Which method makes use of the hack the most?

Thanks for your help. Could not find a simple answer via Google or the search function of the forum. If there is a newbie page out there that explains this in non-techie language, please forward me to it! Thank you.

• Oh, one more thing, I thought the patch removed the iso limits on movie mode, but there are several greyed out.

• Hi. Day one with the gh2. I have loaded v4 orion (dated tonight) onto the camera. I assume its working right. How do I know for sure? Where do I check the bitrate to be positive? Also, and I feel really dumb for this, since its really novice stuff: 1) Shoot in movie mode or M mode? 2) So im looking through the viewfinder, i hit record, and the image darkens slightly, losing a lot of detail. What do I do to get a correct view of what is going on? Regards! Jarrett

• @shian, yes I have after effects, where can I find your solutions, do you have any link?

• @gameb if u have after effects, I've addressed this issue in ColorGHear creating a way to reduce it without reducing luminance.

• @graphicism I never use auto white balance. Or I use presets or set it manually. But I think its somehow a general effect, a greenish tone in the images of the gh2, and in the past I heard other people complaining about it, trying to resolve in post. But somehow there must be a solution. Its really disturbing.

• @driftwood I have found a "patches for end users" only setting for GOP6 (1080) that works in all PAL moods. I have stress tested it with high movement and my normal pan test. The only thing that I don't like is that the bitrate is slightly over 36 and the ratio between I and P frames. AQ=2 solved it! The result looks good to me. any comments/improvements? Thanks for your hints. It probably won't span but lower the bitrate from 36 to 32 will probably fix that. @Vitaliy_Kiselev Should the heading in PTool "patches for end users" now be renamed to "settings for end users"?

Tomaso 44_36_24_GOP6_AQ2_v1.0 HBR.png
    1303 x 688 - 99K
    seth.ini
    622B
  • @jimmykorea ideally you want a PC with a Nvidia graphics card with Cuda. The latest hack is here: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2364/driftwood-quantum-x-v3-rocket-v4-orion-#Item_432

@gameb are you using auto white balance? If so set your WB before recording and see if you still get a green tint to everything.

• Haven't got any suggestions for my concern a few days ago: "Anybody knows how to get rid of that greenish tone that often appears in gh2 footage?" It appears in darker areas and as soon as you push record button...

• What is the current best hack which has high quality movie movement and picture quality?

• what processing power do I need if I buy an Imac, use fcpx and want to use a high quality bitrate hack? *Is converting footage to ProRes a good solution?

• I'm going to have a read through this thread and might be able to answer my own questions, but for now...

• Should I shoot with the camera in Movie mode on the dial, or should I leave it in M?
    • If I leave it in Movie mode do I use HBR mode?
    • What should my shutter speed be at? I tried 50 and 100 and it's quite blurry, 500 seems better and 1,000 causes it to crash.
    • I'm getting really bad banding especially with lower (50,100) shutter speeds, is this to do with frame rate?
    • How is frame rate related to shutter speed, 60i? 24p? I'm not sure I understand it.

Thanks in advance for you help!

I have an Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC Memory Card with Driftwood Quantum X (v4 Orion).

• @jrd v1 firmware favourites will be upgraded so you can expect a new Quantum 100 version soon. @Tomaso bkmwcd is working on a GOP6 total setting.

• Im sorry if my question is very naive, my english is not the best and I get confused with some technical terms, I wonder if there is trouble, what the hack is suitable for Sandisk Extreme card 16GB @ 30MB/s? currently Im using the Terraquake and I like it, but I like know if there is something for my card best and reliable.

Thanks

• This is for @driftwood, but anyone else, please feel free -- is there anything which prevents a user from changing the CBR 154mbs rate of the Orion patch down to something a little more manageable -- say, 125 or even 100 -- and still get all the other benefits of the patch? Or should one we be using a different patch, if lower rates are wanted? Many thanks....

• @driftwood Thanks! Currently Quantiser is not ticket. I guess then I should try to set it higher. I´ll start with 22 for 1080 modes.

• The only hint you need is get Q sorted first. what Q have you got it on? Plus you have to take into account you are using B frames on 720? Then ensure you manually edit 'GOP Related' to weight over to B frames for 720 as Im not sure if that is auto calculated yet in ptools 200212 - @vitaliy_kiselev ?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions