Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • I have a question regarding shooting 1080p 24p video with the GH2 hacked GOP1 176Mbps.

I set the shutter manually at 1/50. In order to make everything not over/under exposed, I've been adjusting the F-stop. Is there another way to do it? If not, is there anything I should avoid doing while setting the F-stop? I have the highlight feature on while recording so it shows me overexposed areas, I adjust the F-stop using the dial until the blinking disappears.
    Oh and about the ISO - I set that to whatever is needed first. I shoot outdoors in daylight nearly all of the time, so my ISO is 160 or 320. Haven't tried any higher.

Any replies are appreciated. Love the camera and the hack ... truly wonderful effort.
  • Hi,

I have a question regarding these settings:

"Video Bitrate 24H=44000000
    1080p24 FB1=1566720
    1080p24 FB2=1968046
    1080p24 Frame Limit=15728640"

I have put in all the setting into the PTool as described. Video Bitrate 24H=44000000.
    But I cannot find anything regarding the next three lines: FB1, FB2, Frame Limit etc. Don't know what it is, don't know where to activate it in the PTool. Cannot find any explanations about it. So I cannot finish my first hack.

Can anybody please help.
    Thanks to all you guys for the enormous effort and for one of the most amazing revolutions in modern filmmaking. Cheers
  • Just found myself the answers. These settings are changeable only in "Patches for testers". A bit scary to use immediately these advanced settings, when you use PTools for the first time. Easier to use the settings that let you stay with "Patches for end users". Cheers
  • Just use .ini files made for you by our sleepless heroes!
  • Could you explain what do you mean? Dont understand.
  • @gameb

".ini files" are patches. He's suggesting to just download some which set the parameters for you.

Patches: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-patch-vault-most-popular-patches-in-one-place#Item_14

Read this entire thread before asking a question. Most likely your question has been asked/answered before.
  • I have set the camera on the 44Mbps settings with AQ on 3 (most on details), but have disturbing horizontal lines on normal camera or action movements. ISO 320, Shutter 50, nostalgic all to -2, SD-Card 16GB lexar prof class 10 20mbps, do I have to change the sd card for a faster one or change the settings for AQ (maybe to 2, some to details)? Anybody has other ideas or experiences with that issue? Thanks for helping.
  • Horizontal lines? Are you shure you are shooting progressive?
  • thanks nomad, yes, I am shooting progressive. 24H, nostalgic mode. May be horizontal disturbing lines is the wrong description. Its not aliasing. Its like when I do a pan, certain images are like horizontally "broken". Like in old video times with old tapes. Sorry I dont know the precise technical term for it. Same thing happens if there is normal slow motion action in the image. If the camera and the action dont move, everything is fine.
  • @gameb

Do you have a good computer? Is playback like that within the camera?
  • Thanks Macalincag, I have a Macbook Pro 13", 2.3GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB. Can see it playing on MPlayerX and also on Final Cut. I checked it on the camera right now, cannot really see it, but cannot make sure its not there. Its too small.
  • @gameb

Transcode it to Prores HQ or something similar and see if the problem persists. It'll be playable and will look like the original. If the image looks messed up in the transcoded version then you know those "disturbing horizontal lines" were really captured that way...
  • @Macalincag
    Thats what I did when I did "log and transfer" into Final Cut, I reckon? I imported it, converting into ProRes 422 (HQ), cheers
  • @rbna Do you know what AQ is for? I know it stands for Auto Quantizer but what does it do?
  • If it's just a horizontal tearing of the image, that's normal an a computer. No computer screen can handle 24p, only some HDTVs. Most computer screens have 60 Hz (or more).
  • If you hack the GH2 say with the 172mbps patch, will the camera consistently record at that bit rate no matter the subject matter, or will the camera only use that horse power if it needs it?

If the camera only uses the horse power if it needs it, how can one explain the overall better picture quality when comparing the 42mbps patch to the 172mbps patch no matter the subject matter?

Hope this make sense, thanks in advance to anyone with any useful information.
  • @flibnarb
    Q>If you hack the GH2 say with the 172mbps patch, will the camera consistently record at that bit rate no matter the subject matter, or will the camera only use that horse power if it needs it?
    A>The camera will only use the bandwidth that it needs (to provide detail dependent on PTool settings)- up to 172mbps - normally I have found the bit rate to be steadily >100mbps.

Q>If the camera only uses the horse power if it needs it, how can one explain the overall better picture quality when comparing the 42mbps patch to the 172mbps patch no matter the subject matter?
    A>Because 42mps patch is also the 'max' that it can achieve. (max 42 is lower than max 172)

Conclusion: AVCHD is a variable codec- this can NOT be changed- the hack forces AVCHD to keep more detail - where it would normally just throw information away. (this is called a Lossy Codec) All codecs that are not 'uncompressed' do this- even raw.

Anyone have a better answer? (The 172mpbs popular patch is Reacquainted- there is LOTS of stuff going on there not only bitrate- also Intra GOP etc- like anything since 1997: Google is your friend)
  • @nomad
    thanks, yes, that could be the answer. Will do some testing today and let you know. Definitely it has to do something with "movements or motion", regarding camera or action, in these moments some element is "stressed", thats for sure.
  • Hi! I'm about to get a new G2 but I read something about some new G2's are unhackable. Some says its all are hackable. I'm confused. I need some help about this. Thank you!!!
  • @jamesjay

G2 since some time are unhackable as I know. It is quite long known fact.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

So how we understand which G2 is hackable and other is unhackable? Because I guess the G2 is not enough to buy without hackable features.
  • @nomad
    Done the tests, different location, same conditions, moving camera moving person, images look perfect, no disturbing lines. Local card writing problems? Or location (hospital close to bed and electronical medical machines, may strange inductions?) Cheers
  • Anyone knows every GF1 are hackable?
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions