Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • RRRR yea i enabled pal/ntsc switch. We are using the cammera on Oktokopter and i need it to see what i am i filming.
    Not only the output of the camera, the recording also switches to interlaced wich did not happen with no hack.
    Why is that???
  • I had a nightmare trying to use my GH2 today, on a visit to an arboretum near where I live (a big park with lots of diverse trees, all turning red right now).

HEaring of all of the 24p troubles for us in PAL-land, I figured I'd shoot in 720p50, so I loaded the CBrandin 44Mb patch, as I wanted a long record time.

So, unlike the GH1, I discovered you can't shoot 720p in the creative movie mode, so I did so in M mode.

In M mode, I set the video out to PAL, and mode to SH, etc. so it should be 720p50. Set the ISO to 160, as it was a nice day, hit record, and the ISO instantly turns to AUTO, and the exposure meters vanish!!??!! What the f*£k? Why? What am I doing wrong?

I am sorely missing the standard 25p and 50p of the GH1 right now.
  • Oh, by the way I tried AQuarius first, the latest one, and it crashed my 30MB Sandisk Extreme after 1 minute of 720p50 so I gave up on it for now and installed the 44Mb to see how it looked.
  • @Lanzar: you should be able to switch to PAL output then.. Not sure why your camera started up in NTSC, unless you bought it abroad. The issue with external monitoring and interlacing has nothing to do with the hack as far as I know. I'm interested in a way around this myself.
    If you cannot switch to PAL output, I suggest you redo the patch just to make sure everything is A-OK.

@LucasAdamson ignore "AutoISO" whilst recording. It's a display bug. The camera does not suddenly switch to Auto when you shoot unless you make it shoot in Auto. Do you shoot with the dial in Manual? I suggest setting the dial in Video instead for best reliability that you actually get the settings you want / that everything is what it says.
    Unless you have artificial lighting in the scene, I would not worry too much about shooting 24p. Even if you have some artificial lighting it might be ok. It depends on circumstance, really - but you will no doubt notice flickering if there are problems with a certain scene. If there are artificial lights nearby - but no flicker - Just check the light sources nearby (by pointing towards them) - because stray light can cause flickering that is harder to detect. A good general tip is to push record before doing the actual shot to see what you get.

Did you format the card in your camera with AQuarius installed? I had to do that even with a low level formatted card to be able to use AQuarius without issues.
  • @RRRR OK i see i can change to pal and if i reformat the card everything is working. I also found out that this 1080i limitation is from panasonic and has nothing to do with hack. Btw i see that hack does not work for pal settings. my 720p bitrate is 12, on ntsc its 38. Am i right, does the hack only change the ntsc or both.
  • @RRRR I hadn't anticipated all these bugs, as the GH1 hack is so stable and bug-free.

Thanks for your advice. When you say that I should shoot in the VIDEO rather than MANUAL, what do you mean? The creative Video mode (camera symbol) has only 24p options - no 720p at all! For 720p, it seems you have to go into any of the other modes, of which I presumed M was the most user-controlled. Not only was the AUTO-ISO displayed during recording, but it also gave me no exposure indicators.

I do hope there is a 1080p25 option this side of Christmas, as I am not able to use this for anything serious and that's what I had intended to do.
  • @Lanzar
    hack works for both pal and ntsc, although it's more difficult to get good patch settings for 720p60 (ntsc) than 720p50 (pal) for instance.

@LucasAdamson
    The gh2 is a different entitity. Much more powerful but also hampered by poor decisions from Panasonic. Thank god there will be 25p soon. And I'm guessing that they will have to sort out the hdmi output / recording issues aswell.

I'm talking about what you set the mode dial to. M, S, A, P or Creative Video Mode (film camera symbol+M) e.t.c.. From Creative Video mode there are three choices - Manual, 24p Cinema, Variable movie mode. Out of the 3 video modes you choose the first (manual) when you want to use 720p50 or 1080i or motion jpeg. 24p cinema for 24p. The third is a way to get 30p out of 24p (80% speed recording).

You also have to go trough all the settings in the menu to get what you want from the camera..
    Although it sort of looks and feels similar to the GH1, you really have to get to know the camera, it's capabilities and limitations to make proper use out of it. Don't count on previous experience with the GH1. I have all the info I need whilst recording (exposure a.s.o.), so you need to get into the settings for your camera and set it up like you want to have it.

The autoISO bug remains, however I think Vitaliy is working on a fix.

• @Lanzar by the way.. read trough this thread for more info on the hdmi output: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/356/gh2-hack-hdmi-output-testing/p1

There is a way to resample the signal from the hdmi output with acceptable results, but it seems too complicated for my own usage of the camera.. Maybe you will find it more useful.
  • @RRRR Thanks so much. Somehow I had missed the top menu for Creative M mode, with the 3 options. I'll get there. Panasonic did really make a dog's dinner of these menus though...it looks like it was outsourced to some clerks, like the manual.
  • IN-CAMERA aspect ratio w/ AVCHD:

I'm working with a Sankor 16c which has a 2x aspect ratio.
    My question is if it's possible to work with an IN-CAMERA aspect ratio of 4:3 using the AVCHD codec.

Essentially what I'm looking for is to shoot 1960x1475 in AVCHD. Is this hackable?
  • No, today it is impossible.
  • Hi again all. I installed Driftwoods "beautiful buffers" patch just to get a good all around patch for comparison with the stock settings. All around I was very pleased. There were a couple card write speed errors though and I have a Sandisk ProExtreme 45mbs card, so I'm guessing the card is not the issue. Does it matter which version of Ptools you use relative to the hack? I have Ptools V 3.63. On a side not when I would get the speed error, I could not turn off the camera without removing the battery. Is this normal for card speed write errors?
  • @mee: the card can still be the issue. A low level format (on a PC computer) of the card should do the trick. Unless formatting the card in the camera worked. (Remember to format the card in the camera for each new patch you install)
  • @RRR, thanks for the response. I have been formatting the card in the camera between every set of pics I upload to the PC. When you say low level format on the PC, do you mean what the computer refers to as "quick format"? What is the advantage here? Also is there a reason so many recommend the Sandisk Extreme Pro 30 mbps card? Is it just the price to performance aspect, or is it actually better than say my 45 mbps card?
  • @RRRR, I just realized you were talking about the card which I put the patch on. So in that case, with the first patch I installed which was just for changing the language to English I formatted the card using the PC with the card actually in another camera, and then of course put the patch on the card with the GH2 connected to the PC. This patch worked flawlessly, but then it was nothing more than a language change. With the second current patch I formatted the card in the GH1 if I remember correctly. So bringing me full circle but with the same question, what advantage is there to formatting it with the PC rather than the camera?
  • @mee: it's not a quick format.. It might be named LLF or something in win7, I've just done it on a friends computer so I can't really give you closer information about it - just that it makes the card perform a lot better. (it doesn't replace the need to do cam format in-between patches). It'll take 15 mins or so to do a low level format on a 16gb card. Remember it is an option for FAT32 file system.

I'm talking about the card which you plan to use for shooting with the updated firmware. For making driftwoods high end patches work flawlessly.

• Hmm, well the only options I am given with the Windows 7 format are NTFS, FAT32 (Default), and exFAT. I am given the ability to choose a default allocation size or several other sizes. But other than that I am only given the choice for a Volume label, and the choice to un-checking Quick Format. The only thing I can guess is un-checking quick format may be it. Otherwise I am stumped. I hate windows. I am a Linux user for most things, but don't know how to use Linux for the patches. I would guess I can get Linux to work the Low Format magic, since they have a program for everything.
  • what's the latest hack for GF1 as of today?
  • What settings are you guys doing to include the 12800 ISO on v3.63?
    I tried a few and not able to produce it? Or is this for testers only?
  • I'm getting a strange issue, which hasn't been solved by following what's been said. I have patched my GH2 several times, first time trying Driftwood Aquarius, then back to vanilla, then Driftwood reAQuainted, and now for a movie project I need to bring it back to vanilla (since we'll be doing longer shoots than 176M allows me to do)

But it won't update! I did as usual, format card, turn off, turn back on, put firmware in, turn off, unplug from computer, turn back on, press preview play, and nada.

I figured, well, maybe version increments will fix it. I had never touched the version increment before, but I thought if it's not detecting the new firmware, let's try upping it. So I upped by 2. Nothing. 5? Nothing. 10? Still nothing. 20? Nothing. Even 100, nothing happened. All it does is it pops up this thing saying "These pictures are displayed at 16:9!" and then "No Pictures to Display."

I'm not sure what to do now... Help?

• Hi everyone, Im new to this hacking thing and I wanted to know if it is possible to use a low GOP with a bitrate lower than 176mbit. I don't have enough space for that... maybe like with the 44Mbit.
  • ok, finally got to the right section... sorry :(

Hello all :)
    I've been browsing the internet for a long time looking for this info but couldn't find anything relevant about it.
    I understand that HDMI output while recording has been hacked, but what about component liveview output, has it been hacked?

Thanks for your help,
    Bob
  • GH2 has HDMI output by default.

>what about component liveview output, has it been hacked?

No. Use either camera aimed to screen (for remote) or HDMI to composite converter.
  • ok, thanks Vitaliy :)
    camera aimed to screen, not really an option because of possible flare and extra weight/complexitiy/failure cause.
    HDMI to component converter... all those I tried wouldn't work or weight a lot :(
    Would you have a link to something light I could use please?

Bob
  • @zoke, sorry for the late reply, I'm shooting the doc at -2,-2,0,-2 on smooth. I use driftwood's latest highest bit rate patches for b-roll, and aquamotion for interviews -- and of course dos some colour correction as the smooth profile is a little drained. Always have a black frost, pola or nd (or some combo of the three) on the lens.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions