Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood I'm sorry to say I'm still having troubles with my card with terraquake. It did get me up from about 10 seconds maximum record time before card read error to between 15 and 30 seconds. I guess I will try one of the lower hacks and see what happens.
  • @mee I guess you got a duff card. Have you tried others?
  • So I'm a very happy GH13 user and GH2 owner and I've been playing with GH2 hacks. I shoot almost exclusively with 720 at 60P AVCHD by the way. The TerraQuake has been a lot of fun but it's more bit rate than I need and filling up a 16gb card in 24 minutes is overkill for how I use these videos.
    I tried taking TerraQuake and using a lower bitrate like in cbrandins 44 but the IQ just wasn't right - in fact the stock setting looked better!

I'm wondering if someone could point me towards an AVCHD 720/60P hack somewhere in between the stock and most awesome you guys have been developing? Maximum versatility and stability are paramount.

Thanks!
    Tim
  • Hi,

I found this description of the patch: "AQuamotion v2 is medium-high quality with decent spanning recording times + 80% slowdown / EX TELE."

Could you, please, explain what does "80% slowdown" mean?

Thanks,

G.
  • I too am having trouble getting the camera to do anything other than say "No Valid Picture to Play" when I hit the play button. I have followed directions meticulously and am using aquamotion on a GH2 delivered yesterday. Card is Sandisk extreme class 10 previously formatted in camera with GH__v11.bin loaded 15,234 kb showing in root directory. ????

Okay, got it to work, changed increment number to 2 as Vitaliy suggested a few days back. Yaaay

Thanks
  • @driftwood, Yeah I kinda feel like this card should be doing better. I bought it directly at Yodobashi in Japan so it is more than likely a legit card, just a troubled one. I don't have a card that comes close to it's rating for comparison, but my wife has a class 4 Sandisk which which sadly almost keeps up with this one. I patched the camera with your SpanMyBitchUp early this morning, and now it is fully functional without the write errors, but I am already missing the features of your higher end patches. I plan on talking to Sandisk on Monday and trying to get a replacement. Maybe I will bump up to their 95mbs card if they give me decent customer service.
  • @el3nd1l 80% slowdown is pure INTRA at 30fps roughly. However, that mode does not record audio. People use it for effects.
  • @evanflys Im having no problems with TerraQuake and 720p, also you could try AQuamotion v2.
  • @driftwood,
    Looking forward to corroborating spanning on 95MB/s 64gig Sandisk!
    (And checking out your new super settings!)
    :-D
  • @alcomposer Hi mate, yep, and pushing the frame limits further :-)
  • go easy though man- let me enjoy the spanning on your settings for at least one day.
    ;-D

One question @driftwood, (directed at you because you have so much knowledge of PTool and Intra):

With bit rate exceeding already that of AVCINTRA 100, does the added quality of 4:2:0 allow higher quality in the 0 colour channel when converted? (this is to say that 4:2:0 at 200mb/s can look as good as 4:2:2 at 100mb/s) Kind of like saying super high quality luminosity 'punches through' the chroma channels...
  • im looking for applicable night time (latest) hacked settings for GF1. kindly point me to the link.
  • @alcomposer that's a very good question. If I remember @Ralph_B conducted chroma /colour tests on the original 220m intra patches and found it much better in the colour channel and easier to grade. I dont think youre going to c much difference in the latest intra patches like seaquake. Its time for more tests on this. How have you found it?
  • I have to do more work on Seaquake... but I am very impressed to say the least!
    The idea just dawned on me that even high end encoders will NOT retain as much data as some of your settings are... so where is it all going? I have been thinking of conducting controlled tests between different settings and subtracting the images to see where the differences lie. The theory is (and as @Ralph_B tests seam to prove) that pushing quality insanely high has a 'domino' effect for chroma encoding as well... (Possibly we could even get what turns out to be medium quality chroma 422 and super quality 420? Poor mans 422 perhaps?)
  • @Driftwood, well this is interesting. After shooting with the SpanMyBitchUp patch all day and with zero problems and using 80% slowdown often, insomnia got me curious and I patched my GH2 with Seaquake just cause this is your one high end patch I had not yet tried. For some reason, very very curious as to why, Seaquake works with the 80% slowdown, when Terraquake and AQ2 did not. I have yet to test the whole board, but this is encouraging and curious... encourious... sorry, insomnia. Off too the bunny cafe tomorrow to test it. Yes Japan has a bunny cafe. Real bunnies, not sexy girls.. but they have those too ;)
  • I may have jumped the gun on my last post. Though I can get it to record continuously at 80%, I have to make it pretty dark. First test was on a bright moving object though, so not sure why that one worked. Otherwise it is working well on the other settings though with the exception of one right error, forgot if it was 24p or Manual.
  • I love Japan. Been there twice; Kyoto, Kobe, Shinzuka, and of course Tokyo. Keep trying out the patches, it could be your sd card and you may want to test another card.
  • The max ISO in AutoISO is 3200, and was wondering if VK, now that the ISO has been released for video, can do this for AutoISO? Probably not since this is probably a table in the AutoISO that cant be made larger? Al
  • I can't get ptool to run. I'm running on an Intel Mac with wine bottler. When I launch ptool3.exe, wine seems to run fine, there's no error message but nothing happens at all. I've downloaded ptool several times and unzipped it using different utilities with always the exact same result. Any ideas??
  • hi

I did the whole step by step update firmware, battery charged, hacked firmware on card. but when i power the camera y press the playback button, nothing happens, anybody knows? I tried the whole process 3 times, nothing happens when i press green button.
  • @aljimenez, this is something youu can test for yourself easily. Auto ISO with the ISO limit removed appears to go up to 6400 or so.
  • Lowrider, if your camera is brand new, set the increment number to 2 at the top of the ptool window.
  • scaper . Its brand new and I did hacked it (1 month ago) with the 3.62 V and blackpowell patch works great (now It has the Version 0.0 installed) Im trying to install the patch Timelapser ans Driftwood patch but after all the required steps, when I turned the camera on, the camera does read the new firmware version, stays the same,
    I did try the new 3.63 V as well but it does not read it anyway, any thoughts on this?
  • Lowrider, I'm too new to have a clue.... sorry
  • Hi folks, one question: Up until now my friend had been sending the patched zip files that I would just drop onto my SD card and hack away with. Now Im wondering-I have the direct files from the latest hacks from the patch thread but how do I then get that file onto my SD card to update camera? I have the new Ptools open but where can I load the patches in? Im on a mac using wine bottler. Thanks
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions