Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • @m_c

I really have no idea.
    Most probably you are doing something wrong.
    If nothing helps, just go to service center and tell that you can't update firmware.
  • thanks
    but thats what im here to find out - what im doing wrong
    anyone know of any possible problems?
    im on hold now to panasonic to see if they tell me what im doing wrong to update firmware
  • went through step by step on the phone with panasonic,
    they said i was doing everything right, and it didn't work, so they didn't know what the problem is.
    went a bought another brand new 2gb SD card, formatted in camera, turned off, inserted sd card into usb adapter, dropped panasonic firmware on root directory, ejected, put back into camera, turned camera on, pressed play, still nothing
    panasonic referred me to a service centre that said they would charge me $66 to upgrade the firmware!!!
    anyone got any ideas?
    thank you
  • phew. left it off for 5 mins, turned back on, pressed play, voila...finally loading panasonic firmware.
    fingers crossed i can finally do ptool after this.
    the ONLY thing different here was that i left it for 5 mins with the card inserted before trying again.
    don't know how that even effects it, but it worked
  • Sorry I dont know speak english so well but I need help and you are the masters, Im trying to use the Driftwood patch but no works, I have the ptool 3.62d with the base file GH2__V10.bin, when I put the .ini in the same folder with the ptool doesn´t recognize the .ini I dont know why, Im on a PC, then I change the parameters manualy and save the new setting whit the new name GH2__V11.bin I put the file into the SD card fromated, I have the Sandisk 32GB extreme pro and when I press play nothing happens only say, no valid picture to play and does not recognize the new frimware. I dont know if Im doing all bad, I dont know what to do, please help me Im very excited with this patch . thanks
  • Cross posting from dvxusers.

I am a bit new to hacking the GH1 and have tried some of the premade configs I have found on various forums and websites. They are great, but most of them have issues with filming a long nonstop clip.

I have a Gh1 with a 16GB Class 10 transcend card. I am looking to set up the camera to film for at least 2-3 hours at a time non stop (8-10 hours would be best). Shot duration is my #1 priority (File spanning?), software stability is #2 (since it will be a continuous shot which I can't restart in the middle), and then quality is #3.

Is it possible to completely disable audio recording to save on space and allow for more video bitrate?

Could anyone please give me some advice on how to achieve this? Specific bitrates etc would be best, I don't really have time to test this out in the "real environment".

Edit: Looks like the GH1 & GF1 : Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch - Version 2 in AVCHD mode may be the solution?
  • May be this is old questions, but I can't find answers...
    Is 1080p24 mode has less noise than 720p50 at same ISO?
    Canon 5DmkII and 7D has preferred ISO stops - 160/320/640/1250/1600.
    Is it right for GH2 too ? What preferred ISO's for low light with less noise? Thanks
  • Most important question for me now is:
    How possible to recover files 0kb created by low battery problem?
    Same problem after message about "writing limitations due to the memory card" - after that camera freezes there are only option to remove the battery. I heard there are some programs helps to recover these clips.
    I tried program for recovery that comes free with Panasonic AF100, it recovered all clips from my Transcend 64SDXC, but not desired missed clips. I don't feel safe that I shoot important event on GH2.
  • Total noob question. Lumix 1.7 lens 20mm. In manual focus mode, how do you lock on infinity? Trying nighttime sky photography and having little luck. Using GH1.
  • -> post moved
  • @rbna

Do not constantly reposty such large things.
    Edit original post.
  • I need help!

First of all, for a amateur like me, should I hack the GH2?

My goal is always to make it look like cinema!
    Second of all, when I shoot 24P on my PAL camera I can only choose 1080i in the camera? shouldn't it be 1080p? Will this be different with the hack?

And if I shall hack the GH2 what hack would be good for a beginner like me? something that is stable but still good!

The question is, and that I can't find, how much will the hack improve the camera? Could I, an amateur even tell the difference? Or is it mainly for people who are "extreme"?? And if it is a big improvement on the camera, would the, for example, 44 stable hack be sufficient?
  • I've read for a few hours on this, but still can't figure out a clear answer. My question is: which SD card should I purchase right now if I want to use driftwood's low GOP 176mb/s? Is it the Sandisk Extreme Pro HD Video 16GB 30MB/s?

The 45MB/s cards seem to be UHS-1 and not fully supported by the GH2 and thus less reliable and support lower r/w speeds.
  • What body firmware will it show after the GH2 its been hacked? ver 1.0 or ver 1.1

Thanks
  • Also, where can I download pappa's spinning star chart (death chart)?
  • Sorry for the stupid question but how can I check the patch was apply? the bitrates of the MTS would be higher?
  • What about maximal number of patch versions at same body GH2?
    How critical to add new number version to every new firmware of GH2__V10.bin?
    What if 99 versions will be exceed?
  • @andycorleone Yes, if you applied a patch with bitrate parameters set higher than the stock settings

@act You can use the same filename such as "GH2__V11.bin" over and over again if you wanted to. No worries of "exceeding".
  • i cant hack the GH2

i put together all these screen shots so you guys can point me to right path
    http://ruta43.com/hack/1.jpg

http://ruta43.com/hack/2.jpg

http://ruta43.com/hack/3.jpg
    im using Driftwood 176M GOP1 'reAQuainted' patch AQ3 "seta", version increment 10 saving as saving as GH2__V12

http://ruta43.com/hack/4.jpg

http://ruta43.com/hack/5.jpg

I press ok to upgrade to version 1.1

http://ruta43.com/hack/6.jpg
    Its loading...

http://ruta43.com/hack/7.jpg

Once is finished i format the card turn off and on
    but version firmware is 1.0

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 71K
    2.jpg
    640 x 720 - 114K
    3.jpg
    640 x 720 - 152K
    4.jpg
    640 x 720 - 158K
    5.JPG
    2256 x 1504 - 401K
    6.JPG
    2256 x 1504 - 451K
    7.JPG
    2256 x 1504 - 449K
  • @jpchavez It stays at Ver. 1.0, you're doing nothing wrong.
  • Thanks Maca for answering =) also i will be checking files on stream parser to be sure 100%
  • i found the answer "Firmware version will not change. I think you have the settings you did load. The behavior of the camera when updating the firmware is exactly as you described. After completion it goes back to business with the new firmware but the same version as the original used for the hack(currently 1.0).

Thanks
  • Just a quick question. For the GH2, in theory...it is impossible to get 12-bit raw sensor video output, right?
    Because of the restrictions it will always be 8-bit video output? Not that it's just now not possible but it will always be, correct? Unless Panny updates the firmware with a codec that stores at 12-bit?
  • @starstuff considering how far VK and Team has been able to push this camera- who knows!

But realistically 12-bit is not going to happen. As for the 12-bit codec- that is also a big ask. Its remarkable that AVCHD has been able to be beaten into the shape of AVC-INTRA!
  • I just used Ptool for the first time and set the AVCHD compression at 3200000 for 24H mode and changed the 24L mode from 160000 to 2200000. If no other changes were made, would the result be that the 24L mode is now the same as the original 24H mode, or are there other factors involved ?
    Thank you.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions