Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @HillTop1 The E Series version of this lens has 5 elements in 5 groups. The AI-S version has 8 elements in 8 groups. Not even close.

• @driftwood @disastronaut

hi guys fantstic work.

I'm a bit confused as to the burst mode. I love mysteron v.1 and also want to really test this new burst mode version. Please could you or anyone briefly explain the burst mode and how i activate it. Is it 24p mode or stills mode?

Sorry if this is basic question.

This is my first test of the Mysteron v.1

• @onionbrain, do they have different variations of the Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S, cuz I saw some say Series E, while others are not.

• @cinemon Sedna A AQ1 for maximum detail an sharpeness.....but now mysteron burst mode has more of it,...i didnt test mysteron burst yet but read almost all the posts about it,..hopefully will test it tonight

• when it comes to quality what is better, Sedna AQ20 or AQ1?

• @Bueller "Merchandise, merchandise!!"

• Haven't had the chance to shoot with the Sedna yet. But here is a short Dark Matter V3 test I did. This hacking stuff is getting into "Ludicrous Speed" territory now.

• I like it. GH2 becomes GH11

• @terry2 Every time I see your avatar I feel like Yoko Ono is tring to stare me down from the net clad in some outlandish 80's cosmic ensemble... it's freaking me out, dude

• @peternap The "11" was a Spinal Tap reference, as in Mysteron Burst Mode goes to 11.

• @Driftwood I just tried the Mysteron Burst. I'm stoopid because I still don't understand the 11 seconds. If push it with TE on and the screen of death, I get a card speed error and with the TE off, it ran until I stopped it. Where does 11 seconds come in?

• @onionbrain I'm close enough to Richmond but even the paid actors suck. We're gonna catch hell if we don't get back on subject.

• @leejb4

Well, we've now got three in the Richmond area -- and I'm over here in The Valley. Anyone else in Virginia?

And, anyone in Virginia got free actors that don't suck? :-)

• @onionbrain Hold on, you referred to the 28 2.8 right? Bacause the 28 1.4 is a different beast (3,500$ used on ebay)... THAT yes is the best 28 ever PERIOD...

• @onionbrain Richmond, VA here!

• @onionbrain With all due respect for different taste (which is what lenses come down to) but in a filter combination (lens plus filter), ZF2 Duclos modified are better. I have the 50mm 1.4d and a Zeiss 50 1.4 and a 28 2.0. But with filters, the nikon lenses are too soft. Don't get me wrong, I love Nikon period. I'm allergic to the word Canon, I was beta testing the D1 in France for them. But No, the modified Zeiss are better. So, if you prefer the Nikon to the Zeiss, then you can't stand the adapted Leica neither.

• @terry2

Thank you for the explanation

No, the Zeiss is not better. I own the ZF version. It's not close to as sharp wide open, probably not as sharp stopped down, the distortion is worse, and you get that cool Zeiss color rendition that doesn't punch you in the face as "filmic" the same way as the classic Nikkors.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the focus handling on all the classic Nikkors is a dream compared to the cold, stiff turns of Zeiss anything.

• @peternap I responded. Yes, that's a magnificent lens. I also used it on a 7D with outstanding results. Although, it's also the best wide angle I've ever used on a 5Dm2.

• @onionbrain Well, the 28nikkor is nice but the 28 zeiss zf2 2.8 is better.

• @LumixUser Sedna grades much better? Please elaborate... (Version? Why? What picture profile?)

• @onionbrain Gh2 video is not 2x but 1.85x So it's 51.8... But it's still a 28 (ring and lenght)... Angle of view and focal are two different things...

• @onionbrain Sent you a PM and the Nikkor 28 f/2.8 A!-S is what I was using today! Love it on my 7D too.

• @ChrisPeters

Yes, and its availability keeps the used lens prices lower. I picked up an "EX+" at KEH for less than three hundred dollars some time back. And this is stunning considering that it rivals Canon "L" anything or Zeiss anything. The sharpness and lack of distortion is what sets it apart from everything else.

And, frankly, it's worth it at the brand new full retail price. It's a near perfect "normal" lens on the GH2 -- complete with that super "filmic" look you only get from AI or AI-S Nikkors.

• @onionbrain

You may know this already, but the Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S is still available new:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36925-USA/Nikon_1420_NIKKOR_28mm_f_2_8_AIS.html

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions