Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @ fomalhaut3 the answer to your question lies here. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/90/sandisk-extreme-sdhc-cards#Item_233 In short UHS-I seems to be the problem. As for the return, it's a life time guarantee. They will try and claim it's your camera being not compatible with the card. They know it is a lemon, be relentless like me, and you can get a replacement. This really is all off topic though, so take it to the other thread please.

• @mee, yep thanks for your help!

• @liquidify. The 720p60 and 1080i60 settings that come with Orion v4b or Sedna settings looks very good. The problem is that they are having write errors on the cards I use (Sandisk Extreme HD 30mbs or Transcen 64GB SDXC class 10) once the bitrates exceed 60mb. Sanity with FSH/SH at 44mb along with long GOP provides good quality and works with majority of the class 10 cards.

• @Zaven13 Limit FB2 to 140.000 and multiply by 8 for FL. These numbers work for me.

• Shoot all the day with Sedna Q20 A on 720 50p. Only very few time had write error because the card is to slow. I have SanDisk HD Video 30 Mbts. The colours looks already like graded (standard -2-2-2-2) maybe a little to much. Anyway thank you Driftwood! Wonder what you can now bring out with the next settings!!

• @driftwood Shooting with Driftwood Cluster V1 , wonderful, no crashes, no writing errors, mainly HBR and 24P. Thanks so much Nick, fantastic work.

• Quick note on diffraction/optimum resolution/etc. (started a few pages back but I think @Onionbrain was addressing it).

• The highest resolution apertures vary from lens to lens. Often especially fast lenses encounter it at faster apertures than slower lenses
    • For my L series zoom lenses f/5.6 and f/8.0 have been optimal almost across the board with resolution slowly decreasing above 8.0. With the Nokton 25mm f/0.95, the optimal setting were f/2.8 and f/4.0 if I remember correctly. f/16 was really low detail.
    • The Panasonic 20mm pancake had optimum resolution at f/4.0 and f/5.6.

All the lenses started to have their resolution progressively suffer as you went narrower than the narrowest optimum exposure (f/8.0 for the slowest lens and f/4.0 for the fastest out of the ones mentioned). In all the cases I tested, f/11 was already less than optimum resolution.

In other words, if you are mainly using fast lenses, f/8.0 is likely too narrow for optimum resolution.

• There is many great patches here. Respect for driftwood and Vitaliy Sedna its probably best so fare except 720p errors rapport's. I wish to be able mix a patch with Pictoris bitrate, sedna matrix with sound improvement settings :) with special attention for 720/50p and HBR for pal users. For now till Ill be able work on it i will go for cluster 1 after research here. thanks

• @Konjow Remember, the audio settings have worked fine with every other patch tested so far. There should not be any reason why they would cause problems on other new ones, so go ahead and mix. :)

• @konjow

fabulous idea,,, went ahead with sedna a on b pictoris...

14mm screenshot of african violet.

also, attached the set i used.

cheers!

vlcsnap-2012-03-21-13h25m01s41.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    sete.ini
  • HY ANOTHER EX. GHE SEDNA Q20 AND LENS: TAMRON 60MM F 2.0 FOR CANON::::

• @artardi your video is private

• Just finished a teaser before I release my film The Final Dance.

GH2, Orion v4b, Nostalgic -2+2+1-1, Samyang 35mm 1.4

• @driftwood, just quick, your film? pm me, would like to ......

• @davidhjlindberg Holly Sweet Jesus! i Love your work Bro. and again that lens is super can't wait to see this

• @andyvia68 I am sure there is better quality on your system but your work is butchered on YouTube. Try Vimeo, its a little better.

• @davidhjlindberg great job (bra jobbat)

• @Tifose @feha Thank you so much! (Tack så mycket)

• thanks thepalalias and flaschus. If i change gop in 720/50p pictoris cbr patch from 6 to 12 and live rest settings as they are, will this still work properly? or is this connected with other settings? in theory that is good motion for 50p, my preferred file size and look with sedna. I know this is a tread for best possible patches (sorry) but as a pal user I fill forgotten:) so looking for something optional and this may work on sandisc 30mbs which is another good thing. amI wright?

• @driftwood, for Sedna 720p I tried lowering the frame limit and FB. At about 1300000-1400000 there was no write error for a demanding conditions however the image was breaking up a lot of details. I lowered the frame limit and FB more but the same problem. Of course there is no problem with 24p.

• @islanders66 Thanks for looking. Yeah I'll take a look at a few adjustments. Dont really want to lower frame limits that low as it affects 1080i60/HBR too. Some other things need looking at.

• @driftwood I am using a Sandisk 95mbs but 16gb version and lowered frame limit on 720/60 till it was stable in 1000 increments as you recommend and by the time I got it low enough there was some weird blocking etc in the image. I used some of your settings from 720/60p Orion and edited the Sedna C settings and I'm getting better images at 60p and it will shoot about a minute before it stops recording. I think it's GOP 6 and it's averaging 67mbs. Can I just straight copy your Orion 720/60 settings into the Sedna C patch and not effect the kick ass image of Sedna 24p? I dont care about 50p or 1081i 24p is all I shoot and 60p if I need to overcrank some footage. Again thanks for everyones efforts.

• @davidhjlindberg Very nice david... Looks clean too.

• Driftwood put out Sedna while I was in Puerto Rico, so I shot a few clips while out on the beach. Just the standard 14-140 Lumix Zoom lens, and Sedna B AQ1.

• Was out and about the other day with Sedna A AQ1. I took some portrait type shots with soft lenses and settings (rather than using Sedna C which should be better for this kind of thing). Apologies for the wind noise.

Results were okay, was pretty easy to work with in Nuke. I really should get around to creating colour matrixs specific to the film modes of the GH2 to use as starting points, rather than using different hue correct nodes to deal with the green/red issues prior to doing anything else. If any Nuke users have already done this please share the numbers.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions