Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood I understand that, I was just trying to see if Burst could be used on a real production (class10 cards) or if it was just pure experimental material...

SEDNA.png
    960 x 408 - 475K
  • @sage, which version of Sedna?

• Alright guys, I'm gonna do it! I'm going to finally hack my GH2 with Sedena Q20, but once again I would like to ask, and especially to @driftwood, is it possible to have it as 50(low bitrate)/100Mbps(high bitrate) CBR???

I was told it can be as simple as typing it in the bitrates. I await to hearing back from you guys :D

• @Driftwood. Can you elaborate on what the differences are between Sedna and Mysteron and what was your main focus? Also, if de-blocking in Mysteron has improved the quality, can the same values be added to Sedna settings?

• Quality is in the heart of the human soul... and vision... let you be the judge. I can say that when it comes to detail in the lows Mysteron is KING, Sedna is QUEEN. Visually I like them both. Technically Mysteron should be better. Main focus is always quality and filmic look.

• @driftwood. Thank you. That's what I was looking for. Will give Mysteron a shot.

• Are people still generally using -2 on all settings for Sedna/Mysteron, or have some been doing things differently in light of the matrix changes?

• @peternap

JMU? As is James Madison University?

I'm about ten minutes away from JMU. Were you visiting the area or are you from the area?

• A couple of stills from a shoot yesterday with Mysteron (pre-burst release).

ISO 640, using Nikon AI Manual lenses (105mm 2.8 Macro & 85mm 1.8 @ 2.8). 24H, Shutter 1/50 - stills out of FCP. Very very minor colour correction (3-way only with a slight push of mids & pull of blacks).

Richard_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Richard_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Richard_3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Richard_4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @lumina

Gotta love those Nikkor AI and AI-s lenses. They create the most "filmic" looks I've ever seen on both Canon DSLRs and this GH2 -- not to mention their build quality and handling.

The two you mentioned are wonderful. I prefer the 85 f/2 AI-S because it's the sharpest wide open lens I've ever encountered. At f/2 it's sharper than the Zeiss 85 f/1.4 ZF up to f/4.

• @onionbrain Haha wow, small world. I'm at VCU in Richmond here.

• @onionbrain - yeah they're great :)

They're old beat up looking lenses I carry in a backpack with 2 GH2's but they just deliver. Thanks for tip on the f2

• @molloy1011

Any other Virginians on here?

We should see if there are enough of us on here with ideas/assets to make some money -- uh -- I mean create some artistic collaboration.

For example, I'm sitting here with three feasible dramatic scripts -- and all I need are a handful of free actors with visual appeal that don't suck.

• @lumina

If you want a real "tip" -- get your hands on the Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S (that is very different from the f/2 or f/3.5, and not to be confused with the AI or D that are also different). One the sharpest lenses ever made by Nikon, essentially no distortion, and, obviously, functions as a 56mm on the GH2. It's the only lens I've ever heard of in which diffraction sets in at f/5.6.

The Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S may be the best lens in the universe to stick on a GH2.

• @onionbrain - thanking you, noted. Don't have any nikkors in that range.

• @onionbrain

You may know this already, but the Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S is still available new:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36925-USA/Nikon_1420_NIKKOR_28mm_f_2_8_AIS.html

• @ChrisPeters

Yes, and its availability keeps the used lens prices lower. I picked up an "EX+" at KEH for less than three hundred dollars some time back. And this is stunning considering that it rivals Canon "L" anything or Zeiss anything. The sharpness and lack of distortion is what sets it apart from everything else.

And, frankly, it's worth it at the brand new full retail price. It's a near perfect "normal" lens on the GH2 -- complete with that super "filmic" look you only get from AI or AI-S Nikkors.

• @onionbrain Sent you a PM and the Nikkor 28 f/2.8 A!-S is what I was using today! Love it on my 7D too.

• @onionbrain Gh2 video is not 2x but 1.85x So it's 51.8... But it's still a 28 (ring and lenght)... Angle of view and focal are two different things...

• @LumixUser Sedna grades much better? Please elaborate... (Version? Why? What picture profile?)

• @onionbrain Well, the 28nikkor is nice but the 28 zeiss zf2 2.8 is better.

• @peternap I responded. Yes, that's a magnificent lens. I also used it on a 7D with outstanding results. Although, it's also the best wide angle I've ever used on a 5Dm2.

• @terry2

Thank you for the explanation

No, the Zeiss is not better. I own the ZF version. It's not close to as sharp wide open, probably not as sharp stopped down, the distortion is worse, and you get that cool Zeiss color rendition that doesn't punch you in the face as "filmic" the same way as the classic Nikkors.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the focus handling on all the classic Nikkors is a dream compared to the cold, stiff turns of Zeiss anything.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions