Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Digital Bolex raw camera, no longer made
  • 1130 Replies sorted by
  • @lunalobo75 thank you very much for your satisfactory answer :)

• @AlbertZ Thanks, man. Yeah, a tad over-saturated, blacks a little crushed. Since I was shooting so wide open (1.2 to 2.0) in lowlight conditions, I was worried about the noise in post. I could go back and get it perfect, but sometimes you gotta let things go into the ether.

As for Colorgrading D16 footage: there isn't any real "tried and true" method to grading since every program debayers the D16 DNG footage differently (hence all the "magenta" complaints in the beginning), and, supposedly, the D16 color gamut is closer to rec.2020 instead of rec.709, which is why all the oversaturation from earlier footage.

Personally, I use Resolve 11 and it's BDfilm presets and use the Camera RAW controls: no issues with magenta and skin tones are SPOT on, especially since the D16 has only Daylight, Tungsten and Flourescent white balance setting; and since it's RAW you can change it easily in post... such an easier workflow for me. Everyday peeps on the D16 forums are coming up with new LUTS and workflows that compliment and explain it's colorspace. In the beginning, it was a bit frustratinf colorgrading/correcting the D16, but my Resolve workflow has tightened my confidence when shooting with the D16.

Here's a few good forum topic if you are interested: http://www.digitalbolex.com/forum/post-on-the-d16/davinci-resolve/#p12501 http://www.digitalbolex.com/forum/post-on-the-d16/sample-grades-workflow

After effects Camera Raw does a pretty good job too, but, until I'm shown differently, Resolve 11 is my choice. Hope that helps?

• @lunalobo75 nice look :) maybe a bit oversaturated, however the "milky look" is not a dogma ;)

I have noticed that D16 ungraded footage has a more vivid color profile than s-log2 or prores from blackmagic..is it only my opinion? Slog2 and BMPCC flatter profile are no doubt an ideal solution for colorist with good grading skills, however the truth is that many one-man-band videomakers have to focus on other aspects...Maybe a less flat profile like D16's one can be helpful for the videomakers not having remarkable grading skills since it offers a starting point closer to the final result but at the same time flexible...Sincerely I am satisfied with my gh2 and blackmagic pocket cam combo, but what's your experience in grading D16 footage?

• Promo for a band using the D16

Short version:

Longer version for Miss Sacramento pageant:

Lowlight 400 ISO (just broken practicals in the studio, and an Ipad light). Not the best grade (crushed the blacks too much, oversaturated it a bit much) , but it was a quick turnaround. All in all, for run n' gun... D16 did it's thing. I can't wait to use it on a more professional shoot.

• here is a "spaghetti-western" Digital bolex commercial, natural light and Bolex Series 1 Prime lenses.

• That Sleeping With The Enemy short may be the best thing that I've seen shot with the Dbolex.

• @elle wow fast work, lovely look, really sweet. Congrats.

• BTW that shoot was for this video:

Very low budget, had 3 locations, 5 crew, and ~60 shots to get in one 11 hour day. Think it turned out pretty well! And yes, that's Joelle Carter from JUSTIFIED. This was before we got our first shipment of Switronix batteries, and when you don't have a budget for a genny... all hail extension cords :) 220 cuts in 4:04... not too shabby.

• Editor from the Netflix series HEMLOCK GROVE, Bert Kish, wrote a post about the Digital Bolex: http://www.digitalbolex.com/guest-post-bert-kish-editor-netflixs-hemlock-grove/

• The "sleeping with the enemy" footage looks superb, very organic, no brittle video look. Nice little film to boot, well done mr villars.

• Is it just me or the lens axis is kinda at a weird angle (pointing up) compared to the camera body?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Please stop doing it! I´m cracking up here ;o)

This is the most professional amateur set I´ve ever seen!

So it´s a good marketing for the right target ;o)

• Is that 'Justified' they are shooting?

• @DouglasHorn

You do not understand. Look how strategically it is placed. In next second girl will trip and her head will go directly to the mattebox. It is just crash test :-)

• Akk! Making actors step over your stingers performing the scene? Hell-to-the-no! Joe, stop sitting at that prop table and dress the @#$%! line.

• D16 in production with Elle & Joe. Don't trip! image

D16 shoot on FB.png
    1229 x 584 - 879K
  • Spectacularly organic. The filmicity was to die for. Stellar. I cried. Sniff.

• This was shot with only available night, and mostly done at night:

• Article about DB usage in actual project - http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ac/ac0714/?ap=1#/16

• If anyone is a fan of Hemlock Grove, and want to see teh D16bin action, they just released season 2 today. They used the D16 on a few episodes. Here's a statement from one of the editors Bert Kish: This morning, at the stroke of midnight, Netflix released season 2 of Hemlock grove. I was not only very fortunate to have had the opportunity to edit 4 of the episodes but to also connect with Joe and Elle and bring them on board to test the D16 along side the Alexa. The original idea was to use the camera for second unit dream sequences in order to bring a fresh style and look to a whole new way of watching television. As it turned out the D16 made its Hemlock debut on main unit for an episode directed by Floria Sigismondi and then later for an episode directed by Peter Cornwall. It was finally used on second unit for the last episode directed by David Straiton. The tests were a great success; the camera worked flawlessly under fire and the images it created were unique, filmic and new. Who is the d16 for? We certainly liked it on Hemlock Grove! Thank you to Joe and Elle for the opportunity to test the camera and for allowing us to be part of Digital Bolex history. Most kindly and Humbly Bert

• They got my camera working, Was a firmware issue, and they fixed it in about 3 days. Spike Lee Shot this with 2 D16 cameras:

• @DrDave Yeah, it sucks. At least I got to shoot some footage (low light isn't that bad, even at 400 Iso)), and the image is pretty fantastic. I haven't sent the camera back yet, since I'm waiting on their tech guys approval. Another owner on the forum said it took a week to get his camera back, so that's pretty hopeful. I have to say, they are pretty good as responding to my emails in a timely manner. Especially Sylvia, who handles most of the emails... nice lady and always informative.

Also, a user on the forum, came up with a work around for the magenta bias: http://www.digitalbolex.com/forum/post-on-the-d16/davinci-resolve/ I've tried it, and it works pretty good without any loss of dynamic range. At least I have my GH4 to shoot with;) Great camera too.

• @lunalobo75 Wow....so sorry you had to wait all that time for the cam and it did not work properly. Did they say how long it would take to replace it?

• @lunalobo75 Thanks - will check out his page. Hopefully you get a fully intact one when they send the replacement!