Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Digital Bolex raw camera, no longer made
  • 1130 Replies sorted by
  • Digital DOH! Lex

• Yes, the influential people are the new media with their blogs.

• Egg on Paillard Bolex' s face then. The company's always had a prestigious reputation.

• Yes, the influential people are the new media with their blogs.

Worst thing that as usual media they have zero responsibility.

• who are these influental people then? This might be a good place for a digital pillory (is that the right word?) on personal-view?

• One big DBolex fan in the early going has a name that rhymes with Flume.

• @rockroadpix

I don't wanna make the advocate here, but i think he was a fan like we were on it, he can't predict the future. Good would be if he would make a video now, where he says that this bolex thing ended up badly (until now, we hopes) for kickstarter's backers/investors.

• Jean71 - Being that he is followed as much as he is, he probably should have not backed the KS. I'm not sure that a bunch of others followed him off the cliff b/c he did it, but it sure felt like some advocacy to me...

http://philipbloom.net/2012/03/13/digitalbolex/

I'm pretty sure his KS disclaimer followed after the post had already been up. I could be wrong, tho. On the face of things (hipsters that didn't seem to know what they were really talking about/big promises), they should never have gotten that many backers as it was. Maybe everyone will get one of those neato leather cases...

• +1 rodroackpix - I never name names, maybe is that an italian thing? Jocking :-) I haven't read the disclaimer, thank you for pointing me on it. As far as the things went for now, you can be right, and i can just say: "Who knows?"

• Like I said, "I could be wrong". For all of the people that invested more than $250K, I hope that I am wrong.

• Fellas...c'mon now

I have $3500 of my money in this. On my blog post, if you care to check it out, I clearly state "buy this at your own risk"....even a few days before Kickstarter ended I updated and said if you are not sure and are worried now is the time to pull out as you can before it closes. Investing in Kickstarter is a risk. There is no comeback. I also clearly state this on my blog. At any point until the campaign closed you had a chance to pull out.

So if people want to blame me if for some reason it doesn't come out, go ahead and if it makes you feel better about yourself blame me for your the fact your are not getting enough work, the fact your football team sucks and for your lack of success with the ladies! :)

You are all grown ups and therefore should be able to make decisions yourself and not just follow what someone says they are doing, I shared an interesting project on my site. I said I was going to take a punt. Did i tell everyone to go buy it? Nope. Did I warn people that this is risky? yep. What do you want me to do? Hold your hand before you press enter when using paypal? C'mon guys take some damn responsibility. I am not your mother.

Anyway I am still certain it is coming out. I spoke to Joe just this week....yes, it's still not ready. When? He didn't commit to a date but he has invited me up to the production line...that's a good sign no?

Peace and remember, saying incorrect unbacked things online is actually a rather bad thing and generally not considered acceptable. Just because it's online doesn't mean it doesn't count.

Oh yeah I am talking to you mr rockroadpix, utterly out of order my friend and rather childish. If people want to make decisions then let them. If people buy something just because I have (despite given them more warnings than I could possible give) then it's THEIR responsibility. If I say "hey guys just saw Alvin and the Chipmunks 2, loved it" and you hated it for some unknown reason don't blame me. I just like Chipmunks. (BTW that was a joke...please don't go and buy the bluray...or do...dont listen to me please!)

Thanks

P x

• Boom!..... or perhaps more aptly Bloom! Seriously though guys get a grip lets not start blaming people it this random unfounded way, I follow Philips blog and he is one of the most on the level bloggers out there he lays it all out very clearly.

• Agreed. Everyone knows Philip's an honest bloke... And he loves his mum. (That little video he did of her cooking chicken is an absolute gem!)

• Place blame where blame is due. This is obviously Romney's fault...

• (Yes. That was a joke.)

• @PhilipBloom +1 mate. Hope it works out, the more tools we have as filmmakers, the better for all of us.

• @PhilipBloom

It is really good that you put your money into this. And did not pull out as most of other loud proponents.
    I really wish you to loose them (as it'll make you much more careful).

Anyway, responsibility of media persona must be different comparing to what you wrote here.

Had it been failure for DB if not few personas? Without doubt.
    Are this two guys look like Sitz-Chairmans? Of course.
    Who is responsible is it'll be complete flop? No one. And it must be this media personas. Paying from their income.

• @sherwood you know who else loved his mum? HITLER!

PB gets alot of flack, but I can't fault him for getting excited over the initial buzz of the digital bolex. It would be a great thing for the project to come to fruition, and people giving there money over to it should have been aware that funding a kickstarter project does not mean no risk.

• @PhilipBloom - Nowhere in my posts did I place any blame on you if the product does not materialize. I have no issue with you backing it, I'm just not so sure you should have been public in your backing the project. You can do what you want, that is obviously your right. Most people can make decisions for themselves and I'm sure some of their backers never saw your blog, BUT there are some people out there that only need a small push to become overly giddy. (I saw it here in the days leading up to the GH3 announcement.) You know this, and this is why you usually preface every item you review with some word of caution. IMO, Kickstarter is a dangerous, but glorious thing. Then again, I think of myself as cynically pragmatic. You may think me a hater (not), but I DO respect you and I DO enjoy your blog. Sorry if you think I am blaming something on you.

I don't want you or anyone to lose $. I would say that makes me a pretty decent person.

& my football team won in glorious fashion this weekend! :)

• @rockroadpix

I think Philip might have been talking about proper football (as in soccer), and not American football. That was a good game though. Too bad I can't say that about any games from my Cal Bears this year...

Anyway, I thought the Digital Bolex was a good idea. I didn't pull the trigger (saving for a BMC one day) but I still hope for all the best for the engineering/production team. Competition and innovation is good. Calculated risk taking and initiative is commendable :)

• Yes we are looking at early next year. We will hopefully have an in-body prototype camera next month or very soon after, and then the 100 kickstarter cameras early next year. I know the wait has been long, but I believe it will be worth it. The camera has gotten over 100 changes since the proposed camera in March.

This guys still can't do even one prototype camera. :-)
    It is really amazing that no one went and checked this guys. As I am sure that it could be revealing facts.

• finally they starting to elaborate about a workflow and price: "The grand total of your purchases is $2,459"

http://www.digitalbolex.com/digital-bolex-software/

it still fits perfectly the vaporware dramaturgy ...

• " I had Skype meetings with several companies, but none of them seemed in sync with what I was trying to do."

The guy still hasn't been forthcoming with a camera yet he's going to revolutionise post production too!

He's starting to sound like someone who hasn't been taking his lithium. ;-)

• finally they starting to elaborate about a workflow and price: "The grand total of your purchases is $2,459"

As I understand it is storage only. taken completely our of his head during writing.

And looking from this, now they want to recreate Davinci, from scratch.

I think this guys just got leak about Black Magic upcoming camera, I mean here their boss. And he fast figured out how to organise and get money out of this.

The one caveat is that right now, our software at launch will only work with OSX. We hope to build a Windows based system soon afterwards, but we’ve heard from most of our backers that a Mac workflow was a priority.

This one is also cool.

One thing I don't understand, why pepole so want to sue BM, but no one will make same to this hipsters spending money on bullshit.

• optimistic predictions.

at the time D-bolex will be released:

gh3 will be fully hacked and it will become the low budget industry standard; bmcc will be at second generation, fully available, the low budget RAW killer; nikon j3 (or hacked j2), the 16mm sensor size cam, will shoot 24p with good quality; pana af200, raw, high frame rates will be out there; new chinese cams will apear;

at the time D-bolex will be bug free and stable (if not die after release, we are optimist here):

4k will be standard; raw will become fully available at top dslr and mirrorless (or via hack); bmcc will be at 4th gen, many different models and sensor sizes; red mini scarlet will be cheap and popular; chinese manufactories will copy and build good cameras like they do tablets today.

10 years later:

D-bolex will cost a fortune, they crappy looking footage will be cool and find one of the 10 running models available in the world will be an indiana jones task.

)