Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 720p50/60 and 1080i60 Settings
  • 254 Replies sorted by
  • This was shot on a sandisk 8gb 95mb which doesn't span. just a little test shoot out doors to see what quantum v6 is like, I really like it however even with the iso at 160 in this video there does seem to be some noise, it isn't bad at all and could most likely be covered up with neat video but I was just wondering if this is normal?

• @mozes Thanks for the report. Yes, class 6 cards are dicey, but they should work OK if you use them with 24L and FH/H modes.

• just tested sanity v3.1
    The trancent 16gb class6 gives porblems but works fine with sanity v2
    The sandisk extreme pro 45mb works just great with v3.1
    i have done all posible options, and no hickups or anything else.

just one thing.
    after some video shots, i did make a picture in raw format.
    after that, the camera says, file number exeed, and i had to remove the batterie.
    in menu change the setting in video out from pal to ntsc.
    powering down the gh2, and powering up, and set it back to pal.
    After that everything works great again.
    Even when i take a raw foto picture it dosent give any errors anymore...

720p Screen-shot (from sony vegas when collor correcting... )

Image15.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 215K
  • I know what you mean and I actually do have neat video although I did not use it in this piece. I somehow wanted to see how it would look without the ISO being too high for most scenes although for scenes like the traditional dancing, I kept it at 3,200 so it can be seen more clearly and it was very good. Still, when it came to scenes with the ice, it was my intention to only show the ice well and not care about anything else.

The next time I used that hack was this Moday for behind the scenes shooting for the music video "Beautiful Comeback". It was the 1080 24p H mode and in this case my PNY class 10 had not one issue.

Please don't mind the changing of the lighting in the first scene. That window was being a pain!

I took a heck of a lot of footage on that day. The music video was shot entirely on the 5D Mark II by another shooter. I'm not sure when he'll finish editing the music video but when it's done, I'm going to mix some of my GH2's behind the scenes footage with some of the music video's footage for a behind the scenes video and it'll go on that kids YouTube channel. What I might also do is put it on my Vimeo account with a high bit rate so that people can see the quality if they download it. I'm still planning on how it'll look but at least I have some time to think since the music video needs to be out first. I do have good ideas so far.

That video I'm showing is just a couple of clips that we decided should be online right away.

• @paulo_teixeira I watched your New Year footage - good job! Just an observation - many of the scenes are too dark. Don't be afraid to use higher ISOs. I do a lot of night shooting myself. It's far more important to see what's going on, than to worry about a little noise. Besides, there's always Neat Video...

• @driftwood "The next version will have 50i & 50p primed"

Cool - I am looking very forward to test the next version!

• Thank you driftwood, 24H, 1080i, 720P works with my shitty sandisk 16gb. 24L doesn't span. Many other patches give write speed errors.

• *** NEW *** Quantum v7 (this is v6 updated - don't bother wiith v6) Tuned buffers 70% of bitrate all round. Plus, 1080pL setting is slightly down on bitrate/buffer ratio - test for spanning please. 720p now on AQ2 for balance. Everything else virtualy the same. This patch looks great in real world preliminary tests. Use the L setting for 80% mode. Tested on Voigtander 0.95 manual lens. I kinda' like the look of this updated v6 patch with GOP3 1080i60 and GOP15 720p60. The next version will have 50i & 50p primed.

Driftwood Quantum v7 BETA - seti (7th Jan 2012).zip
    849B
  • @Mozes Also, there is a very minor issue of semantics that I hope you don't mind if I address.

The same codec can have lots of different file extensions depending on the container format. The container determines the extension as opposed to the other way around.
  • @Mozes When posting on Vimeo, there are often 2 concerns.

1: How can I avoid degrading image quality so that the additional compression Vimeo applies for streaming does not result in obvious recompression artifacts?

2: How can I provide a file for people to download that is as close to identical to my master as possible?

While Cineform's benefits may be less noticeable for the first (I'm often happy with a 20 mbps DivX or MP4 etc.) the advantages for the second are more pronounced, especially if the file is meant to compare different settings. There is also something to be said for using a codec/bitrate combo that has "some breathing room" as opposed to one that is "just barely making it" so that you don't have to spend effort checking for compression artifacts.

10 years ago, with audio, I used to have to carefully check MP3s I encoded to see whether careful sound design held up. Now, I can usually send lossless files or post a lossy 256 or 320 kbps AAC file that still has yet to do horrible things to my mix.

But back to the MP3s: for a lot of more up-front mixes, it sounded okay. But I had one track in particular where it eliminated an important, rather subtle synth sound entirely. Hours of sound design would have been lost completely if I had not checked.
  • Its a bit offtopic..
    But i see not much differences in the codecs.
    If you set the settings good, all codecs are almost the same (for online), they just naming the container different.
    mov, avi, mp4.
  • @mozes When you install the software, it installs the codec (which you can use in your normal editing software and has been solid in my experience) as well as the Cineform Studio application (which I've found too buggy to use on my own system). The latter may not support MTS but the former works just like any other codec you use in your application
  • thepalalias, 3d-cineform-studio-software dosent support mts files?
  • @paulo_teixeira You exported an MP4 file to Vimeo, which is fine. But if you are really worried about people being able to get the quality of the original, there are other export options you can send to Vimeo (like a Cineform file) for them to download that would give better quality at the same file size. That's all I meant. :)
  • I'm not sure what you mean. I edited the whole thing natively in Premiere CS5 and then exported it to slightly over 40Mbps to upload it to Vimeo.
  • @Paulo_Teixeira Next time you might want to just use the Cineform codec (since they now give a version of it away for free, that I initially paid over $100 for last year).
    http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/

Once you get above 40mbps, MP4 doesn't make the most sense. You could use the "low" setting for Cineform for this sort of export and then use anything from "higher" to "filmscan 2" settings for your digital intermediates. :)
  • ()K, here's my first outing with the Sanity hack. It's a bunch of clips taken around Boston in a few places. All of it are 720 60p and I exported it to a little over 40Mbps to preserve the quality as much as possibly. Exporting that high is the next best thing to showing the original clips but it ended up being a 2.5GB file. I would still recommend people to download it if you don't mind wasting all that bandwidth and time just to download this video. It was worse for me. I mean it was really a pain in my behind to upload that clip.

I might put a longer version on YouTube in the future but mix it with my SD600 clips.
  • New theory fellas. 'Bottom' bitrate setting controls buffer and 'Top' bitrate setting controls declared bitrate, overriding the compression bitrate which is still needed for timing issues.
    Try this, Quantum v6, its not a final still, but it incorporates the findings.
    Driftwood Quantum BETA v6 - seti.zip
    916B
  • Thanks for all the props for my work on the GH1 from everyone here. It was really just the starting point for the tremendous strides that Vitaliy, Chris, Driftwood, Ralph, and numerous others have accomplished with the GH2. I know we're all patiently waiting for Vitaliy to unleash his upcoming hack of the v1.1 firmware, and yes, I do have a patch I've been working on... it should require just a notch more thorough testing...
  • Florida Stone Crab show, filmed with gh2 and the gopro
  • Just want to give you guys an update about Sanity - 1080 50i works fine, but not at 44M. You need to lower the bitrate somewhat. I set FH/H to 32M for this purpose. But with further testing I found I could set FH/H to 38M, and 1080 50i records fine. Keep FSH/SH at 44M and you've got all the bases covered for 50/60 p & i recording.
  • thank you driftwood Im going to mix Chris's 66M. for 1080 24 with Raph_b's 720p.
    Will this help or change anything if I will ignore 1080 50i and and 60p settings and live them unchecked because im not going to use them anyway
    thanks again
  • Thanks, I appreciate the info.
  • Ive had 1080i60 churning out hi quality at around 90M when setting bitrate to 147M or 220M (pro res style!) but will give in around 20 secs... this is having toyed with other settings... still playing...