Personal View site logo
GH2 720p50/60 and 1080i60 Settings
  • 254 Replies sorted by
  • @konjow The tradeoff in picture size/macroblock size = quite a drop in eoshd patch - just isnt worth it for me - its just going too far. I'd stick with Chris's 66M. Maybe mix it with Raph_b's 720p patches and see how it works for you. Getting INTRA out of 1080i/720p (especialy 60fps) is problematic. 720p50 / 1080i50 intra isnt bad though :-)
  • I'm completely ignorant on the topic and and have my hands full with other testing at the moment, so would anyone care to sum up the difference (or relative lack of) between Chris' 66Mbps and bkmcwd's 66M as used in Sanity?
  • bkmcwd is doing good work with GOP3. Havent tried sanity version of bk's (looks similar to chris's), though Ralph_b has a case with his findings in 720/1080i.
  • Ive had 1080i60 churning out hi quality at around 90M when setting bitrate to 147M or 220M (pro res style!) but will give in around 20 secs... this is having toyed with other settings... still playing...
  • Thanks, I appreciate the info.
  • thank you driftwood Im going to mix Chris's 66M. for 1080 24 with Raph_b's 720p.
    Will this help or change anything if I will ignore 1080 50i and and 60p settings and live them unchecked because im not going to use them anyway
    thanks again
  • Just want to give you guys an update about Sanity - 1080 50i works fine, but not at 44M. You need to lower the bitrate somewhat. I set FH/H to 32M for this purpose. But with further testing I found I could set FH/H to 38M, and 1080 50i records fine. Keep FSH/SH at 44M and you've got all the bases covered for 50/60 p & i recording.
  • Florida Stone Crab show, filmed with gh2 and the gopro
  • Thanks for all the props for my work on the GH1 from everyone here. It was really just the starting point for the tremendous strides that Vitaliy, Chris, Driftwood, Ralph, and numerous others have accomplished with the GH2. I know we're all patiently waiting for Vitaliy to unleash his upcoming hack of the v1.1 firmware, and yes, I do have a patch I've been working on... it should require just a notch more thorough testing...
  • New theory fellas. 'Bottom' bitrate setting controls buffer and 'Top' bitrate setting controls declared bitrate, overriding the compression bitrate which is still needed for timing issues.
    Try this, Quantum v6, its not a final still, but it incorporates the findings.
    Driftwood Quantum BETA v6 - seti.zip
    916B
  • ()K, here's my first outing with the Sanity hack. It's a bunch of clips taken around Boston in a few places. All of it are 720 60p and I exported it to a little over 40Mbps to preserve the quality as much as possibly. Exporting that high is the next best thing to showing the original clips but it ended up being a 2.5GB file. I would still recommend people to download it if you don't mind wasting all that bandwidth and time just to download this video. It was worse for me. I mean it was really a pain in my behind to upload that clip.

I might put a longer version on YouTube in the future but mix it with my SD600 clips.
  • @Paulo_Teixeira Next time you might want to just use the Cineform codec (since they now give a version of it away for free, that I initially paid over $100 for last year).
    http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/

Once you get above 40mbps, MP4 doesn't make the most sense. You could use the "low" setting for Cineform for this sort of export and then use anything from "higher" to "filmscan 2" settings for your digital intermediates. :)
  • I'm not sure what you mean. I edited the whole thing natively in Premiere CS5 and then exported it to slightly over 40Mbps to upload it to Vimeo.
  • @paulo_teixeira You exported an MP4 file to Vimeo, which is fine. But if you are really worried about people being able to get the quality of the original, there are other export options you can send to Vimeo (like a Cineform file) for them to download that would give better quality at the same file size. That's all I meant. :)
  • thepalalias, 3d-cineform-studio-software dosent support mts files?
  • @mozes When you install the software, it installs the codec (which you can use in your normal editing software and has been solid in my experience) as well as the Cineform Studio application (which I've found too buggy to use on my own system). The latter may not support MTS but the former works just like any other codec you use in your application
  • Its a bit offtopic..
    But i see not much differences in the codecs.
    If you set the settings good, all codecs are almost the same (for online), they just naming the container different.
    mov, avi, mp4.
  • @Mozes When posting on Vimeo, there are often 2 concerns.

1: How can I avoid degrading image quality so that the additional compression Vimeo applies for streaming does not result in obvious recompression artifacts?

2: How can I provide a file for people to download that is as close to identical to my master as possible?

While Cineform's benefits may be less noticeable for the first (I'm often happy with a 20 mbps DivX or MP4 etc.) the advantages for the second are more pronounced, especially if the file is meant to compare different settings. There is also something to be said for using a codec/bitrate combo that has "some breathing room" as opposed to one that is "just barely making it" so that you don't have to spend effort checking for compression artifacts.

10 years ago, with audio, I used to have to carefully check MP3s I encoded to see whether careful sound design held up. Now, I can usually send lossless files or post a lossy 256 or 320 kbps AAC file that still has yet to do horrible things to my mix.

But back to the MP3s: for a lot of more up-front mixes, it sounded okay. But I had one track in particular where it eliminated an important, rather subtle synth sound entirely. Hours of sound design would have been lost completely if I had not checked.
  • @Mozes Also, there is a very minor issue of semantics that I hope you don't mind if I address.

The same codec can have lots of different file extensions depending on the container format. The container determines the extension as opposed to the other way around.
  • *** NEW *** Quantum v7 (this is v6 updated - don't bother wiith v6) Tuned buffers 70% of bitrate all round. Plus, 1080pL setting is slightly down on bitrate/buffer ratio - test for spanning please. 720p now on AQ2 for balance. Everything else virtualy the same. This patch looks great in real world preliminary tests. Use the L setting for 80% mode. Tested on Voigtander 0.95 manual lens. I kinda' like the look of this updated v6 patch with GOP3 1080i60 and GOP15 720p60. The next version will have 50i & 50p primed.

Driftwood Quantum v7 BETA - seti (7th Jan 2012).zip
    849B
  • Thank you driftwood, 24H, 1080i, 720P works with my shitty sandisk 16gb. 24L doesn't span. Many other patches give write speed errors.

• @driftwood "The next version will have 50i & 50p primed"

Cool - I am looking very forward to test the next version!

• @paulo_teixeira I watched your New Year footage - good job! Just an observation - many of the scenes are too dark. Don't be afraid to use higher ISOs. I do a lot of night shooting myself. It's far more important to see what's going on, than to worry about a little noise. Besides, there's always Neat Video...