Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH6, final m43 camera, again with bad AF
  • 402 Replies sorted by
  • There was a strange twitter message from Andrew "EOSHD" Reid yesterday which seemed to imply that he had hold the GH6 in his hands? Is Andrew back in the Panasonic influencer/ambassador fold this time around?

andrew_reid_gh6.png
    900 x 240 - 33K
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev "For normal average user proper PDAF implementation and much improved auto modes mean 10x more compared to all rest bells and whistles."

Totally agree with what you've said, and even pros would appreciate those features properly implemented IMO!

• @EspenB

He did similar multiple times. I mean having access to some cameras.

I strictly propose that everyone who has access to camera prior to wide release should have NDA that holds 6 months after release. So only people who really want to do internal tests and will do some feedback will remain.

• The DP Review TV seems to go a long way to suggest that the OM-1 review was shot on the GH6.

"This episode was shot on a bunch of different cameras"

In the last section "Who is this for?" there is a clear nod to the GH6 being the prefered new m43 camera for both video AND photo.

• Looks like a monster.

The actual image of the LUMIX GH6, which is expected to be announced on February 22, has finally begun to leak. The overall silhouette is similar to the GH5 II, but with the addition of two front Fn buttons, you can see that the logo has changed position. Looking at the image on the side, there is a part like an intake / exhaust hole that seems to be an air cooling fan. It seems that the body design is relatively focused on video.

https://asobinet.com/info-rumor-lumix-gh6-image/

Leaked GH6 information from Panasonic

• Announced at 10:00 on February 22, 2022
    • Abandoned the announcement in 2021
    • Newly developed processor image sensor
    • Unlimited recording
    • 4: 2: 2 10bit DCI 4K 60p
    • 4: 2: 2 10 bit Cinema4K 60p
    • 4K 10bit 120p HER / VFR
    • 10bit 5.7K 60p

Any idea on that cine lens in picture 2?

Read more: https://photorumors.com/2022/02/15/panasonic-lumix-gh6-camera-specifications-and-pictures-leaked-online/#ixzz7L0y8Mt1F

Panasonic-LUMIX-GH6-camera-leaked-pictures-1.jpg
    1014 x 688 - 245K
    Panasonic-LUMIX-GH6-camera-leaked-pictures-2.jpg
    1460 x 781 - 180K
  • Any rumors on if this is a multi aspect sensor?

• @plasmasmp There has been basically no leaked specs, most details are from the may 2021 developement announcement.

For the sensor it's suggested that there is a 5776x4336 pixel count (Lumix Live videostream) and that rolling shutter has basically been eliminated (43rumors). The wild card here is if it will remove the mechanical shutter like the Nikon Z9.

• Full spec leak and photos in Digicame.

https://digicame-info.com/2022/02/gh6-10.html

Big 32 minutes video (dunt know for how long) showing the camera in detail.

• This is a massive tool. I guess the only issue here is the AF which is still DFD. :-/

Design wins:
    * 25 MP sensor (so different from OM-1)
    * 300 FPS (HD?)
    * Apple Pro Res
    *4 PCM audio channels with XLR adapter
    * ISO usuable up to 3200 before needing de-noising
    * Insane bitrates up to 800 Mb/s
    * Some sort of dual ISO HDR merging for video
    * Camera body perfectly matches pink/yellow pastel outfit from the 1980's

GH6_slide_100.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 569K
    GH6_slide_101.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 619K
    GH6_slide_102.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 520K
  • Yeah the AF sucks ;-( watch it at 13.34

• This leak was totally about video.

I still wonder if the camera has a mechanical shutter for photos or not.

• If it has 4 channel audio that is actually a good feature. XLR means absolutely nothing because the audio goes to a ribbon or circuit trace, but 4 channels can make a very good vid.
    In other news, the dreaded fan makes its appearance.

Fan on GH6 side.png
    700 x 418 - 484K
  • There is a full spec list leaked here:

https://photorumors.com/2022/02/16/panasonic-lumix-gh6-mft-camera-full-specifications-leaked-online/#more-146766

Image Sensor Type = Live MOS sensor (17.3 x 13.0 mm)

Camera effective pixels / Total pixels = 25.21 megapixels / 26.52 megapixels

Latitude Dynamic Range = Boost ON: 13+ stops (V-Log)
    Latitude Dynamic Range = Boost OFF: 12+ stops (V-Log

Motion Picture Recording file format =
    MOV: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, H.265/HEVC, Apple ProRes
    MP4: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, H.265/HEVC

Audio format
    MOV: LPCM (2ch 48kHz/24-bit, 96kHz/24-bit) (4ch 48kHz/24-bit, 96kHz/24-bit)
    MP4: AAC (2ch 48kHz/16-bit)

Viewfinder Type = OLED Live View Finder, Pixels Approx. 3.68 million dots

Rear Monitor Type = TFT LCD monitor with static touch control, Monitor size Tilt free-angle, 3.0-inch, 3:2 aspect Pixels, Approx. 1.84 million dots

Focus Type = Contrast AF system, DFD technology

Focal-plane shutter

TC In/Out = Yes with BNC Converter Cable (bundled)

Fan = Auto1 / Auto2 / Fast / Normal / Slow / OFF

• Spec sheet.

559418125-Panasonic-Lumix-GH6-MFT-Camera-Full-Specifications.pdf
  • In short: No PDAF. But Prores. Higher res EVF and screen. 6K and higher data rates. Higher audio samping rates. That is pretty much it.

Unless sensor does magic, this cam will not be a great success I guess.

• GH6 have the same EVF and LCD as the GH5II.
    It has been pointed out that the OM-1 has a higher resolution electronic viewfinder. Rear LCD on the other hand has a few more dots.

Viewfinder Type = OLED Live View Finder, Pixels Approx. 3.68 million dots

OM-1: Eye-level OLED electronic viewfinder, approx. 5.76M dots

Rear Monitor Type = TFT LCD monitor with static touch control, Monitor size Tilt free-angle, 3.0-inch, 3:2 aspect Pixels, Approx. 1.84 million dots

OM-1: Monitor type = 3" vari-angle monitor (electrostatic capacitance touch panel), Approx.1.62M dots (3:2)

• @EspenB

Thanks for lot of info.

I updated first post, btw.

• In my opinion the OM-1 looks so much better compared to the GH6 speck wise and that CDAF only will make the GH6 in 2022 a DOA!

• DFD killed the video star?

I was so ready for this, even going in with a few more high end lenses. But a night of bad sleep has somewhat given me cold feet.

Given that "GH" is a moniker for G-series Hybrid, this cam seems much more video than photo. A camera for a cage and the follow focus wheel. But heck, we have not had many photocentric leaks yet. 25 MP is nice upgrade if ISO performance is not affected. But still focal plane shutter and not some mini Nikon Z9 shutter less design. Which might still be cooler on paper than in real life.

But the AF issue is still a let down due to previous wild rumors about phase detect. Then some sort of DFD-AI with should work five times faster/better/quicker. But now is down to three times faster in the leaked material. Clearly the DFD was not up to the competition these days, but still not much has improved. I guess Panasonic will never get that PDAF from any Sony sensor. For reasons not officially given, but still clearly known. Is like being the only car manufacturer with three wheels when everyone else has four. And the dealer gives you some small support wheels so you don't tilt the car over in the fast turns.

Comparing the OM-1 and the GH6 also is somewhat strange as it's like two completely different solutions to the high end m43 camera. Are there secret meetings where "Oly" and Panasonic deliberately split the market instead of making a true hybrid?

• @Eno

the OM-1 looks so much better

For photo and video hybrid tool yes.

• Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the only thing the GH6 has going for it is the high bitrate ProRes... and that's considering you're okay with using expensive Cfast cards on what's supposed to be budget friendly hybrid camera. Another thing altogether is that those codecs only make sense on a sensor that has been noticably improved... and from that ISO test in the video it looks like any improvement is more imaginary than real. At one point it even looked worse. Maybe it's due to early firmware, though. Next is the frame rates - if it does 300fps in clean 1080p, good. But, you'll need lots of light for that. Same goes for the 120fps in 4K. If it's a low light scene you'll need prohibitively expensive lenses. And then there's the AF. While it might be early to tell for sure, I have my doubts that CDAF will be usable in low light. Remains to be seen if it'll be usable at all. No real dynamic range improvement to speak of. IBIS is great but not all that important for me. If this came out two years ago, it might have been relevant to the market. But today, I fail to see how it can compete with the likes of Sony and Canon.

• I'm curious to see the above video about the GH6, can anybody share it in a way that can be seen? Now the video is private and can't be accessed. Thanks!

• @Eno--there's an English translation on YT.
    Re OM1 vs GH6 for some of us video types, the 5.7K is a big adavntage, even though the camera is kind of dated. Although rolling shutter is interesting. We shall see.