Personal View site logo
Panasonic DC-S1H Lumix Cinema Camera - S1 with fan and articulated screen
  • 218 Replies sorted by
  • @Pedro

there's this new thing it's called google. Try it and you will find all flavours of adapters. Nikon, FD, C/Y you name it

• "As it stands there is no way to adapt vintage glass to the L-mount, is there?"

I consider my mint condition 1980's Nikon AI-S lenses to be vintage and there are Nikon F ---> L mount adapters.

What glass do you want to adapt ?

• As it stands there is no way to adapt vintage glass to the L-mount, is there? @Vitaliy, do you predict the price tag on the S1H will drop highly as well?

• Panasonic S1H interview

Dave is good interviewer, but started licking ass of companies without any limits lately.

Dave Etchells: We were curious in terms of just the timing and strategy, why did you wait until now to introduce the S1H? Was there a technology that you needed to wait for, maybe it was the improved autofocus? Or was it more just a matter of releasing the two products and then at this time later, the market responds?

Yosuke Yamane: It's been eight years since I decided to develop full-frame cameras. And officially, we decided to develop the full-frame camera two years ago. At that time, we intended to develop both cameras, still picture-oriented and video-oriented cameras. But the most important thing for developing the camera is [to decide] which mount should we introduce? That's the point. And in order to decide the mount, we have to firstly develop the still-oriented camera.

Eight years is complete myth, as during S1 introduction Panasonic did not have ANYTHING working and whole development had been in such hurry that engineers never saw such.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/09/03/why-did-panasonic-wait-before-demolishing-video-competition-with-s1h

• About blue color clipping with VLog

Maybe this happen even with the S1H?

• Not even a single mention of the terrible grip. I hold the S1's about once a week, hoping my hands grew to like them, and always shake my head in disbelief. dimensions of grip are almost good, but it's like they gave up before smoothing it out to actually be comfortable, and added chunky rocks under your pinky just for good measure. Considering the weight which many cannot accept, it seems making it as comfortable as possible should have been goal 1. They only need to look Olympus's $3000 offering to get it right...

• @hardimpact

If you only shoot nothing but raw the c200 might be the better option - but the S1H gives you a lot more not speaking about the photo options

• @hardimpact

Such raw approach is again due to Red, as they made special agreement with Ninja maker.

My understanding is that such way they hope to avoid inevitable end of their patents. As it limits number of users and hence management do not see the damage directly.

• concept is good, but after needing to buy a Ninja V to support importing RAW(whenever that comes out, price comes up to about similar to a Canon C200, lol.

• @Faudel

Most funny thing is how extreme is Netflix compression :-)

And this guys due to big money shortage try to increase it as far as possible.

best thing is not to require some weird things from cameras, but to triple the bitrate on delivery.

• Something is really weird in the IR video between 02:10 and 02:21. I give you a clue: blonde hair and blue spots... Another subject 07:02 What's the hype about Netflix and camera approuved list ? We saw this more and more but if you read camera requirements some lines later , we can see that even cameras like GH5/s or XT3 fit the requirements in theory.

• Ass licking by bloggers and sites that are in the inner circle set new records

I just watch this and I see industry deterioration. Where people just tell that marketing team expect them to tell. And panasonic (not Panasonic!) returning to worse time they had in 7-10 years ago where they used lot of fake accounts prizing the products. Now you don't need this, you have hungry bloggers.

• Inside

Notice secondary board - this is unique for such form factor cameras.
    And lot of cooling elements.
    This is that happens if top management dismantles LSI teams and sell some factories.

sa9861.jpg
    745 x 505 - 45K
    sa9862.jpg
    794 x 523 - 54K
  • Delayed raw thing press release, note that it never says that it'll be free on Panasonic side:

Atomos is excited to announce co-development with Panasonic of RAW over HDMI from the brand new Lumix S1H to the Atomos Ninja V 4K HDR monitor-recorder. The RAW update will be available free on the Ninja V when released by Panasonic.

"We are very proud of continuing to develop new ground-breaking technology with a company of the caliber of Panasonic. We are both highly committed to the democratisation of filmmaking for creators, and the ability to transmit RAW over HDMI from the S1H to a Ninja V is a major leap forward in this endeavour," said Jeromy Young, Atomos CEO.

As the world's first full-frame mirrorless camera capable of 6K internal video, the Lumix S1H combines the quality of professional cinema-grade video cameras with the size and photo capability of a mirrorless, making it the perfect companion with the Ninja V.

"The leading brand of external monitor-recorders is definitely Atomos. Both companies have a very good relationship and we have been providing 4:2:2 10bit HDMI output recording for the Lumix GH series for years. We are very proud to be developing RAW output via HDMI with Atomos for the S1H," said Panasonic at their launch event in LA.

Added Young: "Our advancements in screen technology now allows creators to accurately monitor RAW video in real-time as it would be viewed in the home or cinema for perfect preservation of creative intent. Our pristine custom Atomos HDR screens are second to none in colour accuracy and representation of brightness from RAW signals. When combined, these advantages create a dream workflow for filmmakers."

The new Lumix S1H will be shown working with the Ninja V at the upcoming IBC show in Amsterdam from 13 September at the RAI Hall 11.D25, more information on the combination will be available during the show.

• Looks good

• Notice that "ProRes RAW" options (for Atomos) will be also delayed, same as Nikon.

It seems like part of plot that Apple now plays to cut some income that RED otherwise can acquire.