Personal View site logo
18-35mm F1.8 Sigma DC zoom lens
  • 335 Replies sorted by
  • @stylz, it's a stills lens. 35 mm longest focal length at f1.8...stills shooters aren't going to need OIS. We're spoiled by Panny lenses having OIS as their secondary motive is video.

• @Gerondo, I like. What focal length, you know? Do it vignette at all on the GH3, if so at what focal length?

• @itimjim no vignette in video, for me its a video lens, sharp low light beast for my steadicam or a steadyHand :P

• @starios. For me it's a video lens too. But...what I'm trying to say is that it isn't 'manufactured' as a video lens. Hence don't be disappointed that it's not got OIS and other such cine delights. Hell, an aperture ring would have been nicer than OIS :D

• @Gerondo
    Thanks for posting. Looks good!

If you get around to it, I'd love to see some video tests, both in well-lit situ as well as low light tests.

No expectations, just a wish. ; )

• @_OZ Here two small samples of the speed booster and Sigma 18-35 with GH3: both in low light with wide open aperture. All settings dialed down to -5. No sharpening or other post. Recorded at 50p and conformed to 23.97

• @Gerondo Could you do a focus pull @ 18mm and 35mm to check lens breathing?

• @oscillian Sure, tomorrow I will post some more

• @oscillian Breathing test Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 with Speed Booster in the extreme ends: 18mm and 35mm. Aperture wide open. Distance between door in front and computer screen in the back is 7,5 meters

• Very impressive at 35mm. Hard to judge at 18, since there's not much detail on the wall.

Quite some distortion at 18, but then a Panny 12mm has even more on a BMPCC.

• Im wonder if anyone seen This lens results of Autofocusing in video on Nikon cameras?

• This lens really is magical in many ways. That breathing test is impressive to say the least.

• Tomorrow i finally have the Nikon Mount version of this lens after a long search and wait till the product finally was in stock again.

I have ordered the Nikon G speedbooster as wel, which will be delivered next week. For now i can use a standard Nikon G to MFT adapter. If anyone is interested i can post some footage of this lens on the regular adapter tomorrow.

• @Gerondo Fantastic! This is cinema glass quality :) Almost no breathing, parfocal, constant aperture and with the speed booster you get declicked aperture?

How is the focus travel? It looks like you could pull rather smoothly.

• @oscillian Focus is smooth enough. Not so smooth as Voigt, but comfortable anyway. I am just got my super combo - Sigma+Speedbooster+LCW fader. I am happy about it, but LCW is crap, Polaroid fader much better. Today i am already make some work with it, but have no rights to show it for you. But i have some quick street frames, near post office where i recieved this combo. I will upload it soon.

• @ala_img Great to know :) How long travel to do a full focus turn from infinity to up close? Half barrel? Quarter?

• @oscillian Full focus is about quarter (90 degrees), and it can focusing very close, almost like macro lens.

• This is just quick shaky frames. All frames was taken with wide open aperture on gh3. pass: PV

• That's it, my Voigtlanders are going on eBay. Love the flares :)

• @ala_img Great flares! It looks like a killer combination!

• RAW photo sharpness > Sigma 18-35mm with Speed booster and GH3 > 400% , 100% and actual photo.

boot-400%.jpg
    1603 x 1198 - 174K
    boot-100%.jpg
    1590 x 1149 - 241K
    boot-actual-picture.jpg
    1586 x 1162 - 239K
  • Real max aperture of Sigma 18-35mm + speedbooster is about 1.4. I am check it. It is just slightly lighter then Samyang 85mm at 1.4, and same as Panaleica 25mm at 1.4