Personal View site logo
18-35mm F1.8 Sigma DC zoom lens
  • 335 Replies sorted by
  • About 50% of the video is stabilised with a small 10% crop, the rest was shot on a tripod and so on those shots the only alterations in post are the grade. Film Convert is very good, I highly recommend it.

Bokeh is very clean on the lens. Much cleaner than the Voigtlander 25mm F0.95 and less coma.

• @SeekingHeartwood

Personal Messages are weird for me on the forum, sometimes they don't go through, but I sent you one with an offer to test.

• I live in Long Beach, not that far from you kholi, i already have both the nikon sigma and speed booster though. was able to pick up one last week on amazon. just haven't had a chance to really go out and put the combo through it's paces.

• @vapourtrail

=T Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Nikon version in sight around here. If it works out, I'll probably have my canon mount converted to Nikon to keep the barrel rotation.

I'll see if there's one at Samy's or somewhere similar to rent out.

• @kholi I live in Santa Monica and have the nikon to mft speedbooster. I don't have the sigma 18-35 (yet). If you know someone local with the nikon mount I'm more than happy to do a meetup and test out the combo.

1. I don't use a lens support with it, either. You can, but most of the time it's just on the camera.

2. IS isn't a problem really. The lens adds weight to the otherwise feather-light body, and actually helps to stabilize it. From 18-24 it's easy to hold without a cage, at 35 it gets shaky.

With the Viewfactor cage and just the lens I can hold it fine, with my camera built out I've gotten accustomed to holding it very very steady at all ranges.

On the topic of Speedbooster footage, if you have some @SeekingHeartwood I would love to see it. That video is over sharpened and punched in because of all the stabilization going on, thus I can't tell anything about Bokeh, sharpness wide open, etc.

Please, if anyone else has simple footage of the SB + Sigma combo on the Pocket or 2.5K camera, I would like to see it.

• I'd love to hear from someone how problematic (if at all) the lack of IS on the lens is (especially for use with the BMPCC).

• Interestingly he's not using a lens support with the BMPCC.

• I was going to post some samples of this lens, but Andrew's article should suffice for you guys

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11294/ultimate-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-lens-sigma-18-35mm-f1-8-speed-booster

As he says, this lens, combined with the speed booster, is a revelation.

• @matt_gh2 thanks for the tip but I'll hold out till they pop up here in NL. VAT, warranty benefits and all... Also the speedbooster is out of stock so the lens by itself would be useless to me. Don't have a regular nikon adapter.

• Do the Nikon mount sigmas rotate in Nikon direction?

I should be getting my Switchable PL / EF mounted 300' rotation sigma 18-35 likely next month.

• I was going to trade out for the Nikon version, but remembered that I prefer the barrel rotation on the Canon (same way as cinema glass).

So, I'll likely shell out the money to get it mount converted if the Speedbooster combo actually looks good. Wish I could just test it myself, but the conversion is supposed to take a few weeks and do not own an SB.

• @dtr Looks like a seller on Amazon has Nikon mount Sigma 18-35, but is trying to get $899 for it, when it should be $799. Maybe contact them and ask if they'll sell for $799. Here's link - good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00DBL09FG/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1381613473&sr=8-2

• Lens support issue solved! The speed booster has an integrated mount... Now if both the nikon lens and the mft-nikon SB would come in stock...

• I'm just curious... What is exactly a speed booster? Is it all about just getting a wider angle of shot? I was planning to you it as standard zoom so loosing some angle doesn't matter. The thing is that I don't have much of Nikon Lenses around me nor my friend and school so it is quite a burden to spend $500 just for one lens. I'm sorry for keep asking questions I'm a newbie in this field and need lots of study.

• @punghyang

Nikon version must be available soon. Hence it is best idea to use Nikon adapters (including SB).

• So if I want to use it for camera like GH2, I should get a GH2 with a Nikon Speed Booster? Can't I just use canon adapter with aperture nor a simple Nikon adapter with aperture?

• @VK Some nice shots there - thanks for posting. I'm dedinitely trying out this Sigma 18-35 for next poject.

• @Daomay Gorgeous shots! Those super slo mo shots are envious. The day I can afford a FS700...

So the Sigma almost covers full frame then? Speed boosted on your S35 sensor it seems pretty darn good. I suppose you're getting corner vignetting and have to crop?

• I thought I read somewhere that there's barrel and pincushion distortion between 1-1.9% depending on where you are in the zoom range. I'm not too familiar, but does this mean the image is warped, or are those numbers so low that the distortion is basically imperceptible to most viewers?

+1 re sigma+spedbooster+pocket cam. Very curious what type of images could be produced from that combo.

• I want to see the 18-35 Nikon and Speedbooster on the Pocket Camera and 2.5K camera.

If it's sharp wide open and no weird double line bokeh stuff, it will sell me on the Speedbooster.

The SIgma is definitely a winner wide open, so this will tell the tale.