Personal View site logo
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • Short doc shot entirely with Intravenus II. Love this hack.

• The GH3 matrix trial 2 looks to be on a whole other level to my eye. The improvements (mainly colour and tonality) I have noted with the GH3 now appear to be on the GH2 for the most part?

I have tested an arse ton of patch settings but this seems to be the holy grail for me.

It's like a completely different camera! No more muddy colours!

• @matt35.. you might wanna check out Sanity patches... they are very nice for your type of requirement at low bitrates..

• Sorry if this is the wrong spot to post this, but alot of experts seem to be in this thread I have a quick question about shooting at lower bit rates, such as between 30 and 40. I do a lot of event filming so shooting at super high bit rates is not economical at the moment. Will the hacks still look better than stock shooting at these bit rates? I have not purchased a sandisk 64gb 95mbs card yet, so I can't run a test.

• @2many I use Intravenus V2 and like that it isn't too sharp. But if you want sharper, maybe you should try the Moon Trial 5 hack setting by Driftwood. It can be found on this forum in the thread on Cluster. Some peoole also like the hack setting called Flowmotion, also available on this forum. Both of these should give you images that look sharper than Intravenus V2.

In terms of lenses I think the consensus is that the Panasonic Lumix lenses tend to be the sharpest. There should be a thread on that somewhere on this forum.

Best of luck finding your prefect image style.

• @davidhjlindberg All the excitement has transferred over to Driftwood's Cluster X thread. The Moon one is pretty highly revered right now. I'm an NTSC man, so I don't know how it is in 25fps, but I'm sure it's worth a try.

• It has been a while since I was here now, been focusing all on post now and very little shooting so I'm not up to date with the hacks. I have a question and would appreciate any advices you can give:

I'm going for a shooting gig tonight and will shoot in 25fps with my GH2. What's the best hack for now that is pretty reliable, but most of all is giving the best amount of details and overall image in general? Any tips on what I should try?

I know all hacks is good at different things but is there some hack that is overall good and that you would suggest me to use?

• Hello guys! Sorry if I write here, but it seems more appropriate: I'm working on a long movie just 1 minute. So really short ... I shot some scenes with my gh2 and the hack v7 cluster apocalypse now sharp 2 version .. I edited with sony vegas and exported the movie without compression to avoid losing quality ... but weighs 8 gigs! And the 8-gigabyte file is too .. I can not even see fluid on the pc .. It 's normal? Where did I go wrong? Tips on how to compress without losing too much quality? thanks

• these are two uncorrected intraVenus V2 frames.

640iso / 3200K f 2.0 / Canon FD 28mm -2 -2 -2 -2 dynamic

shot under 2x 8watt fluorescent bulbs inside a soft box type of thing.

this isn't my sharpest lens; especially not at 2.0 but is it normal that this footage seems to lack some resolution? When you view it at full resolution there seems to be a lot of detail missing. Is this because of the low light and/or the lower bit rates?

should I look for better lenses or is there another way to get more sharpness?

I find it odd because everyone on the forum is looking to make their footage less sharp, while imo my frames are still lacking a bit of resolution, even when there is ample light available.

Thank you for the hard work! Sharing is Caring :)

testtest0.png
    1920 x 868 - 2M
    Sequence 010.png
    1920 x 868 - 1M
  • sorry but i'm not sure,,, best guess is standard, -2, -2, -2, 0 2nd guess is smooth, -2, -2, -2 -2 thanks for watching

• @weomck.. Nice footagte. What picture profile do you use with IV2?

• IV2 all shot on 720/60p then modified in premiere, added a bit of contrast too

• Short film I made in black and white with Intravenus v1

• Wedding Portrait, all shot with Intravenus II

• @mangotree72 Thanks man! All shot with 12mm Magic SLR. Wide open in some cases to bring out the haze and flare. Picture profile setting was Smooth (all settings to -2). Went for a warm custom white balance to get as much of the look in camera. It was a bright day so 320 ISO was used throughout. I also shot with a 1/30 shutter and Variable ND. The look was a quick and dirty curves adjustment. It's maybe a little excessive. The blacks and whites aren't balanced either. For pro job, I guess I would have also done some secondary on the skin tones. I like the foliage but the skin tone is too yellow. I added film grain (which didn't quite translate well after Vimeo's compression). For online streaming, I think you want to use either a lot of grain (after de-noising and encoding at the highest bitrate possible) or none at all. 20% grain is just going to muddy your footage. While I'm not necessarily proud of the technical aspects of the video, I'm proud of the subject matter. My niece is growing up fast and this is a lovely reminder of her sense of adventure.

• @rorykane - great vid. Could you say what lens you used? Also, you say room to grade - have you graded the piece at all? Would you be able to divulge some info, it would be appreciated, man. I'm trying to achieve that sort of 'look' for a short film. I have GH2 with intravenus II. What colour settings, iso, shutter - any post.

This site is amazing - as a long time GH2 owner - just brilliant work and effort by all.

• here's a little boring test of a x1.5 anamorphic i did the other day,... Apocalypse Now Boom + contax zeiss 50mm planar + Izukar scope x1.5 anamorphic lens (fixed focus dual optic, not mirror prism).

mostly shot at f2.8-56 with a bunch of ND filters and a polarizer stacked in front.

straight out of the camera, no levels/effects of any kind as this is sample video for the auction listing of the Izukar scope. ( if you're interested just search for Izukar scope on that big ass evil auction site :P )

absolutely looooving Boom!

• Aww shucks. Thanks @brucker! She was re-enacting her own unique version of the Wizard of Oz. I really wish I could have afforded the CGI she needed!

• @rorykane that was beautiful!

• Thanks man! She makes for great subject matter! Really grateful for all the work you do here :-)

• Some fun in the park testing Intravenus II. Lots of room to grade. Thanks Driftwood. I think this will be my go to patch for non-event stuff.

• Thanks everyone for the reply. I had the same errors shooting at night. I will download and reinstall the hack. I usually record no more then 20 seconds per shot for stock footage. Unfortunately I don't have the original but I'm planing to shoot this weekend. I will try the hacks you mention Azo/thepalalias. I hope I get some god footage. I'm using the 95ms card.
    It seems that the error happens when the scene has a lot of details.

The picture below was shot the same day, same card and it works fine.

stv-726 001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @jramos I have to ask, what card are you using?

• @jramos I really like Cluster V7 sharp 2 as well, but for me I found that it does not span reliably. The Cluster X Nebula Trial 6b and Slipstream #3 are very reliable in terms of spanning and provide excellent quality as well.

Best Regards