Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic G5 topic
  • 264 Replies sorted by
  • @ihunter

Vitaliy, if the G5-community is ready for "crowd-funding", would you be able to find time to extend the PTool? Thanks!

Let's move forward with GH3 and existing bodies first.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 surprised me a bit. This is the first m4/3 from Panasonic that I've actually enjoyed using and would endorse to other users. Be it known that I haven't used them all, but I've tried plenty of them. It doesn't come without some quirky design decisions but overall is a very mature product that offers a shooter on a budget a massive array of tools to make images and videos alike. It does so with fast performance, and very good image quality overall. My time with the G5 has overall been pleasant.

This is a camera that you could explore for quite some time and still find new ways to tweak modes or customize a good couple years after first purchase. It's that loaded.

http://photographic-central.blogspot.fr/2013/08/panasonic-lumix-g5-full-review.html

g5_1.jpg
    800 x 582 - 98K
    g5_2.jpg
    800 x 587 - 84K
    g5_3.jpg
    800 x 553 - 72K
  • I do not have G5

Vitaliy, if the G5-community is ready for "crowd-funding", would you be able to find time to extend the PTool? Thanks!

• I like to think that when Panasonic gives out such small trivial updates as like this for the first firmware update release it is because they're trying to lend a hand to Vitaliy by getting out a firmware update early for him ;-)

• Vitaliy, Are you interesting this ?

I do not have G5 and have no plans yet. May be in future.

• Haaaa. OMG. Vitaliy, Are you interesting this ?

• pretty silly firmware update is available

1.Correction of wording on [Motion Picture] menu

Correct the wording "60p/60i/30p" of AVCHD frame rate on [Rec Quality] menu to "50p/50i/25p". This update is for PAL broadcast regions only, and you don't need this update if wording is already "50p/50i/25p

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html

• Regarding manual video on the G, GF and GX series: I am wondering if there is an alternative that is more easily accomplished and provides a similar level of control? For example, is it within the realm of possibility to have the AE lock hold mode respected while filming? I.e. if I start a video while AE lock hold is set, would it be possible to have the video mode not engage AE? Even better if iA+ mode can be made to respect it too. And while I am positing hair-brained ideas, is it possible to have the flicker reduction mode respected while filming in scene modes or iA+ mode? This would allow the retention of the 180 degree shutter and coupled with the AE lock hold would provide enough control to make these cameras quite useful. Or am I hallucinating?

• Guys, as I said, no firmware exist, plus I really have no time.

• I am also waiting for the hack and willing to donate ...

• Would love to see the hacked G5 as well. Happy to contribute.

• +1 for a firmware hack; new G5 owner, happy to donate.

• Just adding my support for a hacked G5 software, happy to donate etc.

• I've been trying to figure out from posted videos what the actual detail/sharpness level of the G5 is in comparison to GH1/2 but I haven't seen anything definitive. Can anyone who has shot with both cameras attest to the actual detail/sharpness level of the G5 footage?

• How to remove hot pixels in video? "Pixel refresh" doesn't help.

• Hope won't die.

• Hi! Just another G5 user, hoping for just the basic manual video hack some day ...

• Hi Thanks to all on your impressive work. Is there a hack for the G5?

• Been testing this camera..and it´s great..if Vitaliy" ever sometime would hack this camera I will absolute donate ..It has better IQ than Nex7 in video..it has 1080 50p and a GH2 sensor..the evf is better than nex ..and the lcd sharper..no aliasing ...no overheating..

• Agree..he is doing a fantastic job..but it seems that we want every new camera to be hacked by Vitaliy.. I just bought this G5 and it looks pretty good. To bad no manualmode in video..but if you use old manual lenses and set aperture on the lens and use flkr decrease to set the shutter ..your almost there

• Vitaliy_Kiselev,

Just wanted to say hi and thank you for your work. I also wanted to say I am a new G5 owner and wanted to keep this thread going. I would like to respectfully request a hack for the G5. Thanks again.

Brian

• AltairZ, ok. I can't check this cause I've sold the cam already. I think you need to report Panasonic support about that.

• stacid, I refer to a different video mode, not AVCHD PSH (60p), but AVCHD FPH (30p).

In the AVCHD PSH (60p), I also do not have problems - scan type : Progressive - ок. But in the AVCHD FPH (30p), I have problems! - scan type : Interlaced (must be Progressive).

P.S. Available recording modes in Panasonic G5: [AVCHD] [PSH]-1920k1080 60p; [FSH]-1920k1080 60i; [FPH]-1920k1080 30p; [SH]-1280k720 60p;

• AltairZ, at maximum video quality settings and flicker red. 1/50 mediainfo shows: "Format : AVC, Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec, Format profile : High@L4.2, Frame rate : 59.940 fps, Scan type : Progressive." But as I said above, actually it is doubled 30p. It is visible watching it frame by frame. I don't see any interlace artifacts.

• stacid, please check when you record VIDEO -AVCHD FPH mode what is the format of the video file you have Progressive(30p) or Interlaced(30i). Should be Progressive(30p)..., but I have Interlaced(30i) ! This is a bug!

I look metaInfo in Media Player Classic - HC (http://mpc-hc.org/)