Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere else, this forum has gotten so large after the GH2 hack was released.

My question is, if you hack the GH2 say with the 172mbps patch, will the camera consistently record at that bit rate no matter the subject matter, or will the camera only use that horse power if it needs it?

If the camera only uses the horse power if it needs it, how can one explain the overall better picture quality when comparing the 42mbps patch to the 172mbps patch no matter the subject matter?

Hope this make sense, thanks in advance to anyone with any useful information.
  • @Vitaliy
    Can't wait for v3.63. Take your time, I know all of us here want it ASAP, but I'm sure we would all be willing to wait so that you can work out an issues there might be. Keep up the great work, we all appreciate it.
  • @Vitaliy will there be any new features for the GH1?
  • Yes, if you can share to us some of what we will have in the next ptool.
  • Take your time. Looking forward to it :)
  • @Vitaliy nice some more testing for us to play with or at least hope for boundary's to be pushed.
  • :-) Can't wait! Anything that you can share with us re: features?
  • Unfortunately, I had not been able to finish v3.63 on this weekend, so we'll need one more week before release.
  • @crackermd

I am working on this.
    Few guys already tested early patch versions.
    We need to improve few things.

• To set it manually right away, would of course be a nice addition.
  • I think a higher ISO for video would be a great idea. I use my GH2 as my all around camera for when Im hanging around with friends/family or working on a film project. Even if the higher ISO caused quite a bit of grain, it would be great for when Im just hanging out with friends say in the desert (which we do from time to time) and there isnt much light at all. In cases like that I can deal with the grain as I dont need it to be picture perfect.
  • I would also like to have higher ISO for video, Grain can easily be hidden with artificial grain in post, also if it get really bad it can be stylistic
  • Any chance to have bigger ISO value for video recording? (6400, 12800,...)
  • Vitaliy do you still need a GH1? I have a hackable GH1 not hacked yet but it has some physical and electronic damage but it still functions and may be good for testing.
  • I'm using a hacked gh2 at 42 mb/s, but every time I look at the footage properties it always shows that it's shooting around 15 mb/s. Does anyone have this problem? This has happened on 2 gh2s already, and I've done everything according to the instructions.
  • @pletysmo

Thanks for posting, but, please use one of the topics in Showcase category, ok?
  • Has there been any progress on allowing sound to be recorded on 24H 80% variable movie mode so we can have true 30p with sound? Even if it's recorded on a separate file.

Thank you!
  • @neveraholiday I will clarify if "reliable" spanning on followup reply.
  • @NickBen "... C. Brandin 66mbps setting, ... It normally spans fine for me prior to that."

The 66mbps are really spanning on your cam? I thought it wasn't, see http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1047/gh2-avchd-spanning-#Item_13

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    Nice! What few other things can we expect? Any news on Film modes? Peaking assist?
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Based on 90-95MB/s SDXC cards coming from SanDisk and progress with the hack from driftwood and all other generous contributors, will higher image IQ be obtained at the higher rates?

At this stage with 176mbit/s, in comparing to external hdmi recording devices like Ninja or uncompressed HDMI recording to Blackmagic shuttle... am I simply better off waiting for faster SDXC media and avoiding those devices (even for greenscreen use)?

I have been trying C. Brandin 66mbps setting, with some success and at times message " Exceeded file limit" on 64GB Transcend SDXC card which then stops recording ability. It normally spans fine for me prior to that.

Thank you for all your work!
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    Special thanks for your great work!
  • I'll be releasing new PTool version this month.

It'll have import/export capability, so it'll be easy to export any settings and make zip file ready to upload with separate simple txt description inside.

Few other things will be included.