Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • Very excited about this project, any news on the progress?
  • >Very excited about this project, any news on the progress?

I am working on it. As soon as any meaningful (for public) news will be available, I'll post them here.
  • Small status update. I am still working on reversing and ptool related code. All is going good.
    This thing requires time and I do not have many available, unfortunately.
  • Take your time. No hurry. My GH2 is taking a backseat after GH17 took over the mounting plate of my rig.

Heck let's wait until Panasonic releases new GH2 firmware. Sony NEX-7 is expected next month. It's about time for Panasonic to boost GH2.
  • >Heck let's wait until Panasonic releases new GH2 firmware

I have big doubts that we'll see any firmware GH2 from Panasonic.
    I think that they don't give a shit about NEX-7 (as well as for all their own products :-) ).
  • Oh really? Panasonic don't give shit about it?

I think they do care. Sony releasing NEX-C3 this week. GF3 next week. GH2's competitor is A77 coming next month. $1099 w/ a kit zoom. Maybe GP1 to fight off NEX-7 this summer. Fight!!!

• >I think they do care. Sony releasing NEX-C3 this week. GF3 next week.

They care only in marketing terms, not really.
    They need to segment their production as they learned it in university.
    Small->Larger->Large, No-Video->Bad Video->Good Video with manual control, you know.

>GH2's competitor is A77 coming next month. $1099 w/ a kit zoom.

A77 is not GH2 competitor. It's a Sony! (tm) :-) So, they sure make something wrong again (and I am not talking about wrong mount and wrong transparent mirror technology used, as it is default).

>Maybe GP1 to fight off NEX-7 this summer. Fight!!!

Rumors, rumors. Same shit.
    Going back in rumor mill A77 and NEX-7 must be available for many months already.
  • Yeah rumors shit. Same shit. I don't even care about GF3, GP1, A77, NEX7, NX20/200, EP-3... or whatever.

Panasonic wouldn't release a new firmware unless they must. If A77 supports 24/25p and 24Mbps on all video modes, what can they do? Release GH3 this summer? Wouldn't it be easier to release a new firmware? My fingers are crossed as I will be more exciting about GH23 based on firmware 1.1.

Anyways... happy hacking. If busy, not a problem. Take your time. I will be happy as long as it's ready this year.
  • >If A77 supports 24/25p and 24Mbps on all video modes, what can they do? Release GH3 this summer? Wouldn't it be easier to release a new firmware?

They'll just ignore it :-) With 99% probability development team moved to new cameras.
    This is called capitalism, dude. They want to be such effective looking as they can (to bosses and shareholders, of course, not customers) :-)
  • Well... the latest trend is frequent firmware updates. So let's keep the hope afloat!!! But hope can be pretty cruel.

I heard Fuk-U-Shima situation is whole lot worse. I don't blame commoners in Japan to survive. I'm sure GH2 firmware update is not in their high priority list.

Ok please hack GH2 asap. Thanks!
  • That does make sense. Why waste manpower on updates on the Gh-2, when after 8 months they are putting out a GF-3. I guess those wonderful engineers are planning out our Gh-3s. What a strange difference between a 3+ year cycle with the Canon 5Ds and the 12 month or less cycle on a panny. When the new hack is done, I will finally get a GH-2. Thanks Vitaliy.
  • V., what do you need to have more time? More donations?
  • @_gl

Something like more than 24 hours in a day :-)
  • I hear that : ).
  • Btw, I am also fixing this forum engine issues from time to time :-)
    Today email notices on followed topics started working as expected (this had been bug with about a year history).
  • Hello everybody, and thanks to VK to don't give the hack segment to only sony and ml team (hacking the hackaptilalism let me be double happy to choose the panny 'prosumer' transformed in a big killa by "only a russian hacker") ;-)

>I am still working on reversing and
    ptool related code. All is going good.<<br />
    Did you mean that a simple 'official' reversing as already fonctionnal? Just to know if the hack is now an inevitable issue, and just a coding question time..^^

Thanks for you communities work!
    And hello from paris.
  • @Vitaliy
    When are you going to start hacking "time" then? Can I request 25 hours in a day for PAL countries and 23.976 hours in a day for all NTSC countries. I know it really isn't that big a difference but I am just anal that way.

I would love to see 60 hours(actually 59.94 hours) in a day eventually. However, I could live with having the option to select either 23.976 or 29.97(25 or 50 when visiting PAL countries) when I wake up in the morning. Is this possible? No rush, but I am willing to donate BIG money if you think this is possible.

:)
  • > When are you going to start hacking "time" then? Can I request 25 hours in a day for PAL countries and 23.976 hours in a day for all NTSC countries.

(giggle)

> I would love to see 60 hours(actually 59.94 hours) in a day eventually.

I'm afraid due to hardware limitations we can only do that by interlacing the hours of two half-days. If that doesn't make sense, it will in an hour ; ).
  • >Just to know if the hack is now an inevitable issue, and just a coding question time..

It is inevitable issue, but I need time :-)
  • Atlitchna! Bolchoïe spassibo!!

I have coding c++>asm in my youth for hack/studying some alarm security breaks, i know that you need a lot of patience... :-)
  • I think the most exciting thing to learn once the hack is ready, is the high bitrate. We have 100mb rates now on a Gh-1 with 2 Venus processors. SD cards are getting faster. The GH-2 has 3 Venus engines. And I'm guessing more cache do to the larger Mega-pixels. Could we be squeezing out 150mb per sec?
  • The real question is "Will we see any difference between 100 and 150 mb/sec?". Personally I think 40-60 mb/sec is plenty. If you re-encode at all you will loose any benefits from going with an extremely high bit rate.
  • With the added B frames, sharper image and lower instances of banding, etc, the picture would look much better than the GH1 as similar bitrates. I'm also thinking that the 50Mb range would be stunning and much better than the GH1 at 100Mb+. We'll see shortly.
  • I´ve got mine today. Can´t wait for the hack.
  • Would there be any benefits to having a GH1 over the GH2 once the hack is released?