Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic G5 topic
  • 264 Replies sorted by
  • LPowell: "Your claim that a 1080p60 frame requires less bitrate per frame than the same frame size at 24p or 30p is true only for long-GOP recording formats."

Vitaliy_Kiselev: "It is true for any actual modes used in actual cameras. as 1080p60 mode is using same 0.5 second, 30 frames GOP."

By "actual modes", you're evidently referring to the stock GOP-lengths and bitrates of the video modes in unhacked Panasonic cameras. But as I'm sure you understand, what most of us are interested in is how well these cameras will perform with short-GOP, high-bitrate hacks. My point is that regardless of how these modes are implemented in software, in practice they behave effectively as two separate encoders: 24p versus HBR/FSH/SH. The bottom line is that the 24p encoder modes can be hacked to operate at significantly higher bitrates and quality than the HBR/FSH/SH encoder modes. And if the new 1080p60 modes are built on extensions to the HBR/FSH/SH encoder, I expect it will share the limitations of that encoder as well.

• Panasonic have asked me to shoot a chart for their legal department proving the resolution advantage of the GH2 versus the Canon 7D and 5D Mark III. If anyone has both cameras, a chart and the necessary technical expertise to do a perfect test showing the number of effective lines in video mode each camera's 1080p delivers please get in touch.

LOL

Can you show us papers?

• PTool patch settings for the 24p encoder are completely separate from those of the HBR/FSH/SH encoder.

And? 720p settings are also separate, except bitrate (and bitrate is the same only because this routine is written as such, not because encoder). It does not mean that encoder is separate.

Frame rate is separate, and settings are separate. But encoder itself is the same.

Your claim that a 1080p60 frame requires less bitrate per frame than the same frame size at 24p or 30p is true only for long-GOP recording formats.

It is true for any actual modes used in actual cameras. as 1080p60 mode is using same 0.5 second, 30 frames GOP.

• Sorry, Vitaliy, but until someone shows me a way to hack the HBR/FSH/SH encoder to perform at comparable bitrates and quality levels as the 24p encoder, I'll continue to regard them as effectively separate encoders. Aside from the curious linkage between the GOP-length of 24p and 50i video modes, the PTool patch settings for the 24p encoder are completely separate from those of the HBR/FSH/SH encoder. In practice, I had to use different stabilization techniques to guarantee reliability in the different video modes, and some of the techniques I used effectively in 24p modes did not work at all in HBR/FSH/SH modes.

Your claim that a 1080p60 frame requires less bitrate per frame than the same frame size at 24p or 30p is true only for long-GOP recording formats. In my experience, using the IBBPBB 6-frame GOP for 720p video was a barely acceptable compromise necessary to accommodate the limitations of the HBR/FSH/SH encoder.

• None of Panasonic's recent camera models include the GH2's 1080p24 encoder, and in my view, that rules them out as upgrades to the GH2. The 24p encoder is effectively a completely separate AVCHD encoder capable of sustained bitrates exceeding 150Mbps.

This statement is 100% false.

• All of latest Panasonic cameras include 1080p24 encoder (but not the necessary sensor modes :-) )
    • It is not separate encoder, and all the difference is more related to frame rates and other encoding parameters

encoder is in practice limited to about 100Mbps peak bitrate, and I expect that limit to apply to the G5's 1080p60 video mode as well.

1080p60 requires less bitrate per frame compared to 1080p24 or 1080p30. As for interframe codecs you have much smaller changes and much better changes tracking if use higher framerates.

• None of Panasonic's recent camera models include the GH2's 1080p24 encoder, and in my view, that rules them out as upgrades to the GH2. The 24p encoder is effectively a completely separate AVCHD encoder capable of sustained bitrates exceeding 150Mbps. By contrast, the HBR/FSH/SH encoder is in practice limited to about 100Mbps peak bitrate, and I expect that limit to apply to the G5's 1080p60 video mode as well. Unfortunately, Panasonic appears to be using their lower-performance AVCHD encoder as the technological base for developing high frame rate video modes.

• @Manu4Vendetta

Check first post :-) I try to update it from time to time.

• Did anyone see some sample of the video out of the G5?

• @mpgxsvcd - You cannot forget a major difference between this G5 and the GH3 (or whatever they are going to call it)... the weather sealing. For some of us, that is huge!

• Just imagine how AMAZING flower footage is going to look in 120fps!!!

(Not to mention the cat, the angry girl friend, the bored kids at the park, ...the possibilities are ENDLESS)

• They are adding 120fps 720p and 240fps SD modes to the FZ200.

Hi Speed is coming all over the place this year. The GH3 has a big possibility of 120fps 720p. Slowly the frame rates creep in!

• Wow. sounds like 720p 120 maybe a GH-3 feature. Its like a crossword puzzle. You can figure out some of the answers. I figure Panasonic needs 8-10 new and improved features to deliver in the GH-3.

• We'll need to wait to get idea that this electronic shutter is.

But this is not global shutter.

Does this have 720p 120?

Nope. FZ200 has it.

• Is electronic shutter the same as global shutter? It is my understanding, an electronic shutter reduces the DR over a traditional shutter.

Did I miss something?> Does this have 720p 120?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Isn't it funny that Panasonic was touting 1080i as better than 720p when the GH2 first came out? Now they are totally trashing 1080i and thereby trashing their own GH2.

I agree with Panasonic 1080p @ 60 FPS looks excellent even on youtube. I want to try the 720p @ 120 FPS though. You can losslessly extract 720p @ 24, 30, 60, and 120 FPS from that. 120 FPS is the ultimate frame rate in my book.

I suspect the GH3 will have 720p @ 120 FPS without sound though.

• Main ones will be EVF, I think something with video modes and encoding, and WiFi.

• Is it just me or does the G5 look like a GH2 without the multi aspect ratio sensor, without the external controls, without the manual movie mode(Easily fixed by VK), and without the few extra megapixels?

It does seem to have a lot of things I wish my GH2 had(HDR, AFF, single point focus, silent shutter with RAW, 1080p @ 60 FPS, 720p @ 120 FPS, the zoom lever, taking stills while shooting 1080p video....etc).

I seriously am not sure what they are going to put in the GH3 that will make me want to buy it over the G5. I am sure they will come up with something though.