Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic G5 topic
  • 264 Replies sorted by
  • Now that GH4 has been announced and on its way..

Could we at least try the Manual Video Controlling features found in G3/GX1 Cfm? I'm starting to wonder if Panasonic is threatening Mr.Vitality with a lawsuit...... I mean, if that's not the case, a lot, a lot of G5 users(including myself) are ready to contribute.

sakiskoz i like your movies =)

You might know this but G5 has the capability to output the liveview via AV, although it stops when you start the recording(not sure if that's because processor cannot handle the task) I haven't got an AV cable for my G5 so cannot confirm but i've read pressing the trash button a couple of seconds turns the feature on.

• Thanks 586x

I have try and it works but when start recording in any mode i have black screen. This is only good for photos. I will try the same with HDMI and will see.....

Thanks Again

I try it with HDMI no success...

• to lock the exposure on a G5 you want to enable the mode iA+ and once to turn the wheel. now you can shoot against the light without reducing exposure. it is a pity that there is no manual control. but I'm still happy. :)

• radioman, thank you. It's working. I can tell : I use manual lens and antiflickering mode 1/50, 1/60, 1/100, 1/120 - almost manual :)) but no iso control.

• @gene, i'm considering getting a G5 and I wonder your opinion of the G5 auto ISO and how it handles for you. It's my guess that so long as you can keep shutter locked and using Manual lens control Aperture, the only thing to consider is how well the G5 adjusts ISO. What's your experience so far?

• I used it for shooting without moving. When contents of frame changes very slightly. But for reporting autoiso is good, working like videocameras. I guess g6/gh2/gh3 for video must be much better.

• @gene, I actually don't mind the limitations of the G5. Still a very good camera for very little money. I've been on a mission to find the best and cheapest cams out there and the G5 is one of them. There are a lot of bargains out there that people overlook cuz of all the new fancy cameras out there. I still use a GH1 and I have a Canon 50D with Magic Lantern RAW. Just bought a Sony NEX 3N for under $150.00. I've been learning a lot about how best to use these cheap cameras. I just missed getting a G5 for under $200.00. If I see another opportunity i'll snatch one up.

• Hi to all This is my 2 last airvideos with G5 The real quality is much better.....

• @Aria, you're right. G5 is very good camera for good price.

• Just picked up a refurbed G5 with kit lens for $300~.

My only complaints:

Lack of manual video obviously, but vintage lenses + auto ISO is not bad.

Auto Bracket exposures can not be used with the self timer. And..

The shutter needs held down through all the shots. If you release the shutter button at shot 2, and you move your scene, it will continue to take shot 3 causing you to reshoot. Even my original Canon Rebel would shoot 3 brackets with 1 press.

The only way to get -3/+3 EV is to use 7 shots, when 3 is standard and sufficient. Opening up custom AEB settings would be amazing.

Yes I like HDR.

I will donate for any added functionality.

• I didn't mention... I am completely satisfied with this camera, and I have no regrets about not buying the G6 for double+ $$$. As an all-around camera, this is perfect and priced to jump back into M4/3 (I was an early GH1 user).

• I recently picked up 2 G5's with 14-42 kit lens from Amazon for $244 each. great little deal and they're in perfect condition and I must say a really nice little camera. It's not the best in terms of all the features you get with a G6 or GH2 etc., but for the price it's a really great image. I already have a GH1 which has been serving me well. It's SUPER light weight. I like the grip better than the GH1. It's a really cheaply made body, but if you don't bang it around it should be fine. I'm super gentle with all my cameras anyway.

I used the Tamron 17-50mm with RJ Speedbooster and it works well. Haven't tried my Minolta 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f2 yet but i'd assume they'll work just great based on what i'm seeing so far. I leave it set to Natural -2-2-2 and NR at 0. Haven't tested other settings yet. Haven't had any time to do any test vids. If I get some time I'll do something.

If you don't need the 24p it's a good option. 30 and 60P is very useful for my needs which are local TV shows, Commercials, Music Videos and Weddings. It would be amazing if this camera was added to the Hack program. It's already got some good features and just needs that little extra stuff to make it a great low cost option. The prices seem to be still dropping so look out for it.

• Nice to read that the G5 is still being loved - a couple of months back I bought one from Panasonic referb in the UK with the 14-42 PZ X lens and think it was a real bargain at £295. I'm using the Panasonic lens adapters with it, a fisheye, wide-angle and macro also bought from the referb shop for a bargain £109 and are great fun. The (probably) less useful tele adapter which only cost me £29 new from some ebay store works fine but is a bit something and nothing. The whole kit fits in a tiny bag and weighs next to nothing, which is what I really wanted!

• I was shocked to find out that the 30p bit rate was only 17Mbps as opposed to the 60p which is 28Mbps. I don't know how I missed that point in all the reports of the camera. Also that the 30p provides long record times but the 60p is limited to 29:59. I don't know why they did that.

I'm curious if anyone else ever records 60p with a 1/60 shutter? I did and it looks fine at 60p. I didn't notice any increased motion blur on the LCD. Maybe i'm just doing something wrong.

• One other point to make about the G5. People forget that the G5 has the same sensor as the G6. They both have the same DR. The G5 just has fewer frame rates with no 24p. It's a bit limited but for the price it's a nice little camera.

• pity that we can't use custom firmware for G5 but G3...

• I'm hoping to do some filming with the G5 over the next few months. It's that time of year to get some lovely fall footage. I'm going to shoot and see just what I can do with this camera.

Yeah it would be GREAT if we had a hack for the G5. It's so strange how it's the ugly stepchild of the Lumix cameras. Not many ever talk about it. Pany kicked it to the curb real fast.

I still use my GH1 more than the G5 at this point. I'm just so used to the GH1 and it's 24p so it's just easier right now. I wish there was a way to get the firmware of the G6 into the G5. In any event i'll keep pressing on to find other ways to get the best out of the G5.

• Yeah it would be GREAT if we had a hack for the G5. It's so strange how it's the ugly stepchild of the Lumix cameras. Not many ever talk about it. Pany kicked it to the curb real fast.

Good idea can be sell G5 and get G6 or GH2, they are frequently available for very cheap.

• Any news about hack plans for G5 or it will be "unhacked" forever?

• @MR11Y, there will be no G5 Hack. I think the only option is to sell as Vitaliy suggests or keep it as is and work around lack of features. I use mine and footage looks good. They cost so little and have very good image quality in 30p or 60p.

• Hello. My first post here.

I've had a G6 that I have been using for video for almost a year now and have been loving it. I picked up a used G5 on Craigslist for a second camera and have a bit of a stupid question. I am reading that the G5 does not offer manual video mode. I was under the impression that when I set the dial to M that I am setting the aperture and shutter speeds and ISO in video, but now I'm understanding that this isn't the case. Can someone tell me what is going on when videoing in M mode? Both with manual lenses and the kit lens? What can I control when recording video?

Thank you!

• @howardwalker, when I use the G5 with a non Lumix lens I basically get full control of the Aperture. The shutter can also be locked using the Anti Flicker settings. What you'll notice is that as you film the camera will automatically adjust the gain to try and keep things in proper exposure range so it will smoothly ramp up gain or lower it depending on the brightness of the scene. IMO it works great for how I shoot. The G5 is a nice little bargain. When I get a chance I'll do a video with it and post it.

• @Aria. Ah, ok I see the anti flicker setting. That sets the shutter speed at 120 which should be good at actually double the frame rate of 60 I'm using. So that does solve the shutter speed problem. Thanks for the tip!

I'm mainly using the G5 as a backup second cam for multi-cam interviews, having different lenses ready to go, mounted on a Glidecam etc. I look forward to seeing your video if you get around to posting it. Thanks again.

• Hello guys! I have bought a G5 a couple of days ago. Before I got it, i looked up many reviews and tests online and I choose this one because the 1080p/60FPS video. Now that I got it I can only set it to 50 FPS. I have looked this up online and as it turns out I looked at mainly US reviews and I live in Europe, so NTSC is 60 FPS and PAL is only 50. So my question is: Is there a way to change the firmware to a US one, or is this a Hardware restriction?

It is maybe a dumb question so go easy on me, I'm new and this is my first camera. :)

• @kingneo23, there is no chance to do so at least until Vitaliy hack G5. It is unlikely that the hack will be released soon and without no news for almost 3 years from the latest PTOOL 3.66D release, I am very pessimistic that there will be a new hack.