Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @Shian I have a question about export, I am using AFX on a PC, since there is no pro res codec on the setting, it default to the animation codec, is this the same quality? thanks

• @Nino_Ilacqua No, go here to get both for $25, total: http://colorghear.com/store/ Sorry for the confusion, it's a weird eStore software thing, but you buy CGT you get the membership free, or vice a versa, but if I change the join us membership from $50 to $25, then orders get screwed up when processing, so I have to leave it at $50 which is what the price will be after Feb 15th. After i addres all the other issues with CGT and the site, I'll see if I can't figure out what's causing that, and get it fixed.

• @shian Is it $50,00 for ColorGHear plus $50,00 for the tutorials?

• @duartix The Quantum patch mjpeg settings are particularly good but still not quite on par with the AVC modes. However, I am conducting more in-depth analysis of the picture quality against each and of course, looking at ways of improving mjpeg quality further based on facts learned.

• @Shian Thanks for the info, noise have been a lot of problem on my test shot, maybe its the iso bug, will have to do more test to confirm. Keep up with the great tutorial =) thanks

• @shian I was watching the latest tutorial and hoping you split the stylish pass layer, and you did. So eager to try it out with eoshd's footage tonight. I'm getting it. Color grading is a process. Great work. Looking forward to seeing more tutorials!!!

• @apix If converting gives you a flatter image, then yes. The flatter your image, minus baked-in gamma and noise, the better off you'll be when it comes to grading.

@duartix That's probably a question for @driftwood or one of the other compression geniuses, but I'm guessing its because the intra stuff is looking better to the eye, and then card space/spanning issues. I will have to do some tests shooting with both and see which holds up better to grading and produces the best end product.

• @Shian, just want to said thanks for the great tutorial, it help me learn a lot already and workflow. Just a question, is there benefits from converting the the mts footage to DXNHD in your opinion. Keep up the good work.

• I've just scratched the surface of the tutorials and I was in awe as to how much noise & blocking there is in the R and B channels of a MTS file from the GH2. Much to my surprise I loaded a MJPEG from my EP-1 and all the channels were equally "good". Is this a consequence of heavier sub-sampling on H.264? If so, why isn't everyone shooting MJPEG?

• Awesome stuff!

Been on set shooting test footage for upcoming film. Back to work on finishing Legacy support in the morning. Sorry it's taking so long.

After I finish that, and get some rest, I''ll get to work on neat video tests.

Also did GH2 dynamic range calibration for upcoming tutorial. Interesting findings.

• @shian - I just began rendering the ungraded, grain reduction only clips. The clip that had Neat Video applied rendered out in 13 minutes for 371 frames, utilizing 30% of my available 4GB of RAM. I started rendering out the Grain Killer clip and it only had gotten a third of the way through, utilizing 50% RAM (closed Premiere), before I had to stop it to work on other work. I'll finish rendering it through tonight after finishing off my current project. Seems like Neat Video as a more intelligent algorithm but also costs four times as much without any color tools. Grain Killer also softens a little detail where Neat Video leaves a lot of detail and even resharpens. I think the comparison of Grain Killer and Neat Video is an apples and oranges comparison. One is simply a very well configured built in tool and one is a super specific, specialized tool.

The color tools are phenomenal. When I upload the clips, you'll see just how powerful the tools are in comparison to Magic Bullet Colorista. I used to use Colorista exclusively but that's long gone now. Hello, ColorGHears.

• If I remember correctly, I used the 5D cine gamma (because the original image was so washed out), Density at 100% opacity (for the same reasons), Spectral Enhancer at around 40% (with the saturation of the Reds -30% to protect skin tones), and Grain killer at 40%.

• thx - I meant to write what settings for ColorGHear.

• @Hallvalla I initially thought that I was shooting with Smooth -2, -2, 0, -2, but realized about halfway through the shoot that I had reformatted my card and as a result all of the shots before then were shot with the standard setting. This is one such shot. I was pretty amazed at how ColorGHear toned up the haze that occurs when shooting directly into the sunlight. I wanted to keep some of that, but also wanted the lead singer (sitting on the right of the frame) to be more visible. I'll try and get that clip up on vimeo so that you can take a look. Cheers.

• @magnus387 looks great - would love to see the actual clip. What settings did you use?

• Just getting into ColorGHear, but I've got to say that already I'm really impressed. Here's my first attempt, and while I still need to work with it some more in order to really see the full potential, I think I've found my new color grading solution. Congrats @shian

Raw.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    ColorGHear.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Hey @shian If you interested.

I have two clips for you ready to compare. One being unattached MTS file thay you can put against CGT and second one processed with NeatVideo in Vegas. PM me your email and I'll get you access to the files.

Thanks.

• @artiswar - There's a bit of camera shake at the beginning of the clip. My suggestion would be to use a 5-6 second section form the clip then do the following if possible.

1 - noise reduction only, one with neatvideo one with GK 2 - CGT color on both, one with neatvideo the other with GK 3 - Neat video corrected in some other fashion (Colorista, MBL, etc.) and the other entirely with CGT.

And also time how long previews take per fram with NV vs GK, and how long renders take.

That seems like a comprehensive test, probably too time consuming though.

• @shian - Great. I'll get a comparison going in a bit.

A Lightroom-esque set of controls is what I've been dying for in a color grading package and yours finally comes close. Great work. ColorGHears with Speedgrade, when added, will be unbelievably powerful

• just ordered. looking forward to it.

• @artiswar go back one page in the thread to see the test history and context, and the link, but to save time for everyone, here it is.

http://www.nikolicnemanja.com/00016.mts

Also, temperature slider, duly noted, and on the list of things to upgrade in CGT. Gonna take some serious expression scripting, but an excellent idea.

• Also. Little skateboarding edit should be up shortly being exclusively graded with ColorGHear. The short I'm currently working on got it's technical grade in Color Finesse. One "Gear" that would be super useful for me in quick run, gun, edit situations would be a temperature gear. Something akin to the temperature slider in Speedgrade.

• @shian - Link me the footage? Or is it just the still? I can do a side by side no problem.

• Automatic Duck and Working with Sequences (tech pass and style pass) Tutorial is now LIVE! Check it out.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions