Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • seeing $200 used HD2's - $75 for just Hero *stonebat... HD2 $125 new! if they get 50% discounted

• Yeap. Something like new HD2 50% discount on Black Friday.

• put my 2 x HD2s on line for sale last night, within 30 minutes there were 10 others, luckily mine just sold for a good price $225 each, I think there will be hundreds of Gopros for sale as people try to offload to get into new version so price for HD2 will be pretty cheap in coming weeks..

• Yep, at the expense of weight and size, but if you need it, you need it. You can turn wifi off after framing with a smartphone so this will save life of the camera battery and then maybe not need the extra pack. All the backpacks cause vibration issues for me due to the extra weight so I don't use them. However, the new HD3 case has had the fork prongs beefed up that the mounts attach to, so that may improve stability.

• I just wanna know more about it. I won't cry :)

I got it what it meant "a thicker housing". It's a new battery backpac that extends battery capacity.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/hero3-battery-bacpac

• Easy stonebat, most of the reviewers know nothing about POV cams or have any experience using one. GoPro just spent hundreds of 1000's of $'s reducing the size and weight and this guy wants to add it back again and pay more.

• Pocket-Lint hands-on review.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/48038/hands-on-gopro-hd-hero-3-black-video-camera-review

A battery lasting less than one hour. Wi-Fi will use more battery...

It is possible to buy a larger battery pack, which comes with a thicker housing too, and we'd definitely recommend doing so - though this will increase the cost of the purchase.

How to interpret that?

• Stu Maschwitz, Philip Bloom, Vincent Laforet, Tom Guilmette and many more Pro's are raving about this camera, yeh they were given one free, all attendees at the launch were. Stu especially never posts BS, and he's very impressed with the performance of the cam.

• @mpgxsvcd

It would be a whole different thing to make a Pro video camera this inexpensive.

This doesn't make any sense. All they would need is a bigger sensor. The data pipe-line is already equal or better than a C100, F3, AF-100, ect...

• 4k is a marketing opportunity Sangye, the GoPro machine runs on this stuff, It sells enough cameras to keep reinvesting in awesome little cams like the HD3 . They just went after a little more of the Pro crowd with this one.

• This is practically 1080p60/50/48/30/25/24 cam. What other action cam supports it?

• I'm sorry, but this doesn't qualify as 4K. If it did, you'd have to call the Sony A77 a 6K camera (which it isn't). 12FPS is not useable for anything commonly shot.

• @subco I canceled my preorder from GoPro site. B&H is taking preorder. Hopefully Adorama does too. Usually official videos look great. No I'm not expecting a lot from action cam at the price. My friends who own HD2 just wanna have fun :)

• I've resisted for years, but now i'm definitely gonna get one. It's just a nice little tool that I can see a million uses for on different jobs.

• night shot with hero 3

believe it ? improvement on hero 2 ? Im not sure if the white balance is set to auto or manual

• Screengrab of 1080 60p

image.jpg
    2034 x 1301 - 555K
  • @bwhitz Yes exactly, some people want to have the exclusivity, buy having some equipment and not creativity to set them apart. I hope that someday gopro goes into other camera field like cine ones. It might give them a broader market because the Sony of this world is going after there niche market. So why not retaliate, they even have cineform as codec. The irony is if this market gets fierce competition you might see some Sony $ 400 camera having some better spec than much higher end camera.

• @mpgxsvcd sincerely do you think it is easy to do a 4k (lets say more 3k) camera in such a small form factor. The imaging pipeline processing is the same regardless of the size of the sensor doing 2k/3k/4k. So take the asic in this camera and join it to a larger sensor and it would process the thing at the same level if the sensor is capable of it. Now we are talking $ 400 camera can do this so what do you think about $ 7000 or $ 16000 camera cannot buy a company that is magnitudes larger than Gopro.

I sincerely thought that Blackmagic had dispelled all the belief that 8 bit camera at more than $ 15k was a rip off. 7 years ago, I bought my first digital camera with a Nikon d70 6 megapixel camera, today for less I can get a D3200 with 4 times more pixel, at least 3 stop better ISO/low light and 3 stop better DR. I am not saying that we should get a raw cinema camera for $ 400, but the prices we see are somewhat exaggerated. I guess, we won't have to wait too much, in maximum 2 years time, someone like blackmagic will surely come with an s35 version of the BMC with no string attached. We filmmakers will be able to kiss good buy to those big fat dinosaurs.

• Better quality of the marketing video here: http://fil.io/fl48NPQwb/gopro_hero3-1920x1080.mp4

• @BlueBomberTurbo +1. 170, 127, and 90 degrees for HD3.

90 degrees is wider than Lumix14mm 2.5.

127 degrees is wider than Lumix 7-14mm.

170 degrees is like fisheye. Lots of distortion.

• Some would defend price of the Canon C300/C100 !!!!!!!

Yea, some people still just like "big things" that make them feel exclusive. But the price to performance ratio of the offerings like these are an absolute joke. It is funny to see them getting shot in the foot from slow-rolling technology for so long, though. This is what they get...

Bigger frame size, higher data rate, and WAY higher fps options than a $8000 C100... good god that's pathetic.

• Someone should find a way to mount Zeiss lenses to that baby ;)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I assume it is using this Sony Sensor which theoretically supports 4K 60p?

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol69/np_imx144cqj.html

If so, could you work some magic or not likely?

• ^^^ sorry, didn't mean to post that huge ^^^

And, here are all the res/fps in one file (except for 4K, not really a movie option yet)

resChart.png
    2716 x 1440 - 71K