Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • That is not quite what they are saying. They actually say: "using other microSD cards with your HERO3: Black Edition camera while shooting in 4K, 2.7K and Protune video modes may result in a reduction of the data stream rate from 45Mb/sec to 35Mb/sec." I have both Samsung (approved) and Sandisk (no longer approved) 64GB cards, so it would be possible for me to test what is going on, but I am wary of performing the update in case I can't get back to the firmware I am currently using... Has anybody had experience with downgrading GoPro firmware? What do they use to prevent you rolling it back?

• Not quite true. The camera does a card check and if it senses a Sandisc brand card or any card that cannot handle 45mbps+ it will revert to 35mbps. All cards that pass the test or are on the recommended list will record at 45mbps.

• Rambo, that makes me even more uneasy. I tested my Sandisk cards (before throwing out 6 out of 10) by running off USB power and recording 45MBps 2K7 Protune continuously until the card filled. I found that cards failed at random times throughout the 3hr recording time. But I also found that the failures were worse as the camera heated up -> the cards mainly failed at operating temperatures. Thus any testing at power-on could only provide a crude approximation to actual performance, IMO. I would like to know more about what they are doing. I don't want to get on set and find that my cameras have taken a dislike to the card which is in them...

• The camera creates a new folder on the card and inside it is a txt file with the card info. Not much more is known at the moment how or what the exact interrogation is. It's too early to say just how reliable this is going to be as we have just updated yesterday, as more people report their results more will be known.

The Protune modes also failed when battery life was getting low ( to be expected ).

It's likely that the reduced 35mbps recording will also result in less heat so the cameras will probably run cooler in that mode.

I think this is a good comprimise, enthusiasts can still use 45mbps by card choice and general users can gain stability by using the new recommended cards and or, avoiding Protune mode, which most people don't have a use for or understand anyway.

• If there is a default file we can edit to override or dictate what the camera wants to do then that would make me very happy. It is not that I don't trust computing hardware, but... Thanks for sharing the info, Rambo :)

ps: There is a 5 degrees C temperature difference on my cameras between the 35 and 45MBps speeds (using an infra-red thermometer).

• That 5 degrees is significant, I was expecting less actually.

Here is the New GoPro App Tutorial and features

• My sandisk 64gb never field so far. Im wander if the camera makes test or just deiced from the brand software "read" info...

• Yes not everyone experienced record fails, many people using Sandisc 64gb report this. Also not everyone has the same heat issues, my Blk from latest batch runs much cooler than others. Early batches ran very hot. ... Factory assembly differences ?.. Maybe.

• Here is a sample of the contents of the card file that is created in the Misc folder. Just a bunch of numbers but obviously it's an instruction or record of some kind that informs the camera of card spec or brand, maybe both. Time will tell what it means and if it can be manipulated.

• This App is awesome. Great job, GoPro. Makes the LCD backpack not as important, but still glad I have it.

It's actually really nice for my situation, as my iPhone 5 camera is not working correctly (dropped), so I can at least get the images off the GoPro to the phone now.

• Thanks for the latest update and details. Woohoo~!

• does the updated app have real time video to the smart device now? or still a slight lag?

• Lag is still around 3-4 secs when recording and 2-3secs in preview (ipad2 varies with device), only a hardware change can fix this to less than 2 secs.

• shucks, well when is the hero 4 coming out? lol

• Hero4....all pointers are saying Nov 2013...just don't pre order just yet.

• wow, that's actually quicker than I would have expected

• How to get Shallow DOF from a GoPro HD3Blk using a Marumi 10+ Macro lens attached with a BlurFix Micro52 slip on adapter. Just a bit of Fun.

1080 30p - download enabled

Marumi gopro DOF.jpg
    800 x 600 - 356K
  • Rambo, thanks for another brilliant tip - I just ordered a "BlurFix Micro52 slip on adapter" as I didn't realize any such thing existed :) :)

• I would REALLY like to see some 1080 or 2k 24p stuff with this lens : ) if possible

I must have been snoozing on gopro info, how long have these "slip on adapters" been out, because being able to add basically any type of 55mm filter or small lens is really nice addition.

• The lens just puts everything out of focus except for what's in the macro range. It doesn't seem very useful in most contexts.

• That's true Douglas but still very useful especially if you also have 1+, 2+, 5 + to get the range you want. Check this for example.

@Gravitatemediagroup, for slip on adapters for the GoPro here http://www.snakeriverprototyping.com/hero3-filter-adapters

• As reported one page back, GoPro have implemented a card check in their latest HD3 firmware update. Due to Sandisc manufacturing UNDER spec class 10 MicroSD cards in the ULTRA range ( GoPro, many experienced users and even Sandisc themselves have confirmed this) "ALL" Sandisc branded cards (even the Extreme Pro) are detected by the camera FW and the Protune recording data rate is reduced from 45mbps to 35mbps. All other brands, no changes, however GoPro now have a new list of recommended cards on their website.

• So all that work I did to figure out the 40% of my Sandisk cards which actually do work OK is now wasted. Nice one, GoPro. I have $600 of useless SDXC now. And no longer such a warm feeling about this company... . BTW, I figured out that the problem was that occasionally the allocation algorithms in the SanDisk cards take a long time - as long as 750msec in faulty cards - to allocate a new sector to be written...

• Yep, exhaustive test on many cards where done here (27 pages of tests) http://goprouser.freeforums.org/this-is-why-ur-black-freezes-t12096.html

It's possible the Sandisc range will be included again in a future update as now Sandisc have released new Extreme and Extreme Pro MicroSD cards, but GoPro are very pissed with Sandisc as it affected their business big time with hundreds of thousands of support calls of cameras freezing with Sandisc Ultra cards which as we know were the very cards GoPro initially listed as recommend on their website based on Sandiscs class10 specs.

Difference between 35mbps and 45mbps recorded video ?.?. .. I can't see the difference visually, but possibly high motion footage could suffer, but 95% of users don't have a need for Protune or even understand what it is so it was the right thing for GoPro to do.

• Well, I use Protune for EVERYTHING. It is the main advantage the GoPro gives over my other cameras. Stuff the 95% of users who haven't figured out dynamic range yet, GoPro has just my MY life more difficult... . I appreciate your info, in any case, Rambo :) Thanks for all you do re GoPro...