Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @trevmar this is great news! Pretty annoying previously.

• Yes, but I need the 720p 24T narrow mode, which is not present... LOL... as usual I always want something I cannot achieve :)

• It seems to me that with the new .37 firmware the camera does not get as hot as it did before. Running 2K7 cine Protune (24T) I used to get a maximum temperature on the top of the front panel at 55 degrees (C) while now it only peaks at 50 degrees. Which is good. Has anybody else noticed that? Hopefully it should be noticeable in battery life too - I will measure that later today. At the moment I have it recording from my external USB battery pack, to see what is my maximum (powered) recording length is.

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5393/diy-adaptor-for-gh2fz200-battery-to-power-usb-of-gopro-3

• I have been playing around all day trying to get a handle on what is happening with the new firmware running cooler than the December's revision. I have been testing by running my GoPro's from the battery adapters I built to feed them with power from my spare GH2/FZ200 batteries when I need to take a longer location shoot than the internal battery allows.

What I find is that when I run 2K7cine 24T Wide protune then the units get red hot, as they always have done, starting almost immediately after recording starts. The battery indicator shows that the internal battery is charging, even when it is already full. It is annoying, but they shoot OK in The Frame, even though they overheat in the sealed case. The external battery dies after 2:35 but the internal is still running nicely when the 64GB card fills up at about 3:16. This is the same behavior as always. But I noticed a new icon on the screen - the image of an AC power plug - for the first few minutes of filming.

When I select 1080 24T Medium the behavior changes. Now the AC power plug displays, flashing back and forth with the full battery indicator, for the first hour or so (I still need to retest and pin down exactly when it fails) and the camera front panel is cool (less than 40 C on the laser thermometer). At some point in time, however, the camera loses control of its power management, and the front panel heats to between 55 C to 60C, with the icon in the display no longer showing the AC plug, but just a charging battery symbol.

This is new behavior. Maybe they improved thermal management in the new firmware? In which case they didn't quite get it right. Alternatively, the thermal management was always there, it is just that Protune always overloaded it in some way. The new software maybe runs a little more efficiently, for the start of the shoot, at least.

I am amazed how cool the camera can run now. I just wished it stayed that way. I am not sure what causes the thermal management to lose control, but I have a pretty good picture in my mind that this is what is happening to make the Hero3 Black run so hot in Protune... What are your observations?

• Any news from the GoPro Booth @ NAB?

• There was supposed to be a proof of concept announcement at NAB from GoPro, still waiting to hear.

• @Rambo

8K for $399? 3fps?

• @Vitaliy

Perhaps showing concept of how to keep camera below 100 degrees centigrade while shooting at 4K 12fps :) :)

• ...so hows the update ? I read where some are having problems with 720/120p with protunes . Is this camera ready yet...or still a work-in-progress ?

• Still a work in progress IMO, but 720/120 works fine with both my Blacks.

Remember that the data rate is 45Mbps in that mode, so they could be having memory card speed problems. That would be where I would look...

• ProDRENALIN

• Automatically remove fisheye distortion from video or still pics – Sometimes the fisheye effect is desired however sometimes you want a flat, normal looking image and correct perspective distortion too.
    • Rock-steady stabilization – proDAD’s video stabilizer, the gold standard in post-capture video stabilization is part of ProDRENALIN and it’s fully automatic!
    • Rolling-shutter correction – Improves the skew & jello that sometimes happens during fast action panning.
    • De-noising – ProDRENALIN effectively removes random image sensor noise from the video with 3 quality options. De-noising happens during export rendering.
    • Simple color correction, brightness & contrast adjustment tools make your videos more polished;
    • Rotate the video in case the camera was accidentally mounted upside-down;
    • Batch processing for convenient loading of multiple clips to be optimized
    • Among the first applications to support 4K and 2.7K video resolutions.
    • Side-by-side comparison shows the original and optimized video prior to rendering and exporting.
    • Fully compatible with all GoPro Hero cameras in all supported resolutions, with the ability to import other action camera profiles from proDAD’s Defishr application

http://www.prodad.com/home/products/actioncam/300582316,l-us.html

• I believe this may have been what GoPro were going to announce as the proof of "concept" at NAB

No further details.

image.jpg
    960 x 720 - 79K
  • we might expect them to start benefiting from Foxconn's intimate knowledge of a wide range of upcoming products sometime. This might well be something like that. Don't know if I like the lighting...

• There is dji Phantom on the picture http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5331/dji-phantom-gopro-aerial/p1. Dji announced Gopro 2 axis gimbal-which I was waiting for :). The bad thing about gimbal is: unknown price yet.

• I have ten 64GB Sandisk UHS-1 microSDXC memory cards, all from reputable sellers. After the new software update, only two work reliably in both my Hero3 Black. I tested them by recording in each camera until they filled (the GoPro were run off AC power), or stopped recording.

All failed to span files. When you look at the cards after failure the final file was about 23Meg, and each was within a few bytes of each other in size.

I tried to find whether there was any test software which would show me this intermittent slowness of the Sandisk UHS-1, and I found that IOmeter was occasionally recording very large pauses in transactions. This is a fundamental problem with the Sandisk UHS-1 cards. More than half a second delay from an SD card when a command is issued to it is clearly not acceptable, when the average response is 14 msec. (see screenshot attached)

IOmeter_Sandisk_problem.gif
    778 x 479 - 22K
  • Here is my Samsung PRO 64GB microSDXC which arrived today. Tested under identical conditions, it works as expected. So I have ten SanDisk 64GB piles of junk... Sigh...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SK57ZQ

IOmeter_Samsung_PRO.gif
    778 x 479 - 21K
    CrustalDiskMark_Samsung_PRO.gif
    406 x 364 - 20K
  • These periodic pauses and slow writes have been documented for various cards including the Sandisk Ultras at Rambo's GoPro forum: http://goprouser.freeforums.org/this-is-why-ur-black-freezes-t12096.html

Fran

• I just did test (after update) 2.7 25p on my 64gb sandisk ultra - Spans nicely 1h20min until battery was dead.I got samsung pro few weeks ago I lost it already and Im not sorry about it.(write speed test was about 7mbs when sandisk about 4 times more )

• @konjow The problem occurs most with Protune. I was using 24T 2.7K. If you connect a 1 amp USB charger (such as an Apple iPad or the GoPro chargers) then you will be able to record the whole of the card.

• @Fran_Guidry Thanks for the link... Interesting... I think that IOmeter is a better tester, though. It's pretty straightforward, and allows continuous testing of any card, with the worst case value logged (which can be scary). I wish I had seen that thread on Rambo's forum before I bought all the Sandisk cards... Oh well, have ordered some Samsung PRO now... (which are not perfect, by the way).

• @trevmar Forgot to mention that I use protune as well 2.7-no problems before and after update. That was just a test I use battery pack if need full card recorded - handier but thanks for advice.

• I have a Sandisk card, too :(

• I've had 2x 64GB Sandisk Ultras since launch and no problems with them. No real problems with the cameras, either, beyond the old locking up in low light in photo mode, and some hiccups with external power.

• @BBT I haven't seen any external power hiccups since the update. I have been running two H3BE during testing the cards. One has a dummy battery pack (which I built by pulling apart a cheap battery) and the other charges from USB with a custom low-loss cable I made. The one charging from USB has remained solid as a rock through maybe a dozen complete 3hour card-filling Protune sessions. So I am not sure I will put my battery-replacing rig into use, but stay with USB power (it needs 1 amp at 5.1V)(the voltage depends on your USB cable loss).

• @trevmar The issue I was having was the sequence of turning the camera and battery on. If I turned the battery on before the camera, the camera would instantly lock up. It was fine the other way around. Haven't messed with it much since the update, since the D7100 ACR update came the same day. :3