Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @BlueBomberTurbo Thanks for the link. 64GB would give roughly 3 hrs recording.

• 45mbs...that's cool.

Didn't hear anything about in-camera stabilization. Probably not in this version.

• I wonder if there is an allotment of GoPro Black's headed to retail stores? That might be a way to get it quicker.

• 4K 12fps is actually really cool for sport people who want to pick out a bunch of photos of themselves in action. I can't think of any affordable alternative for POV photography in high speed situations. It's a niche, but paying attention to niches has brought GoPro a long way.

• Most interesting thing I see (beyond all the other insane specs!) is in the White Balance section. They have auto and three color temp presets, and then they have "Cam Raw"....

• It looks like there is also a 4K @ 15 FPS option for NTSC customers. That will be good for low motion shots I suspect.

• I have a feeling that the GOPro 3 mounted on the GH3 will give some really cool perspective to action shots. The go pro probably weighs next to nothing but it offers so much versatility.

I will just look at the GoPro 3 as the GH3's 120 FPS mode. Not bad for a $399 add on.

• 4K has two frame rate options for the two different aspect ratios (16:9 and 17:9). Same with some other higher res settings. May be a bandwidth limitation, so they thought of a useful workaround.

• Again another lesser smaller camera company like blackmagic that shows off the price/performance ratio of todays sensor and imaging asic compared to what the fat established ones are selling at. Some would defend price of the Canon C300/C100 !!!!!!!

• @danyyyel

The GoPro wouldn't be my first choice to shoot a movie with. In fact it really only excels at one thing. It shoots close up action better than just about anything else. It is not that hard to make a single purpose device like this be relatively inexpensive. It would be a whole different thing to make a Pro video camera this inexpensive.

• Has there been any report on the size of the sensor?

Also what FOV do 'Ultra Wide, Medium, Narrow' equate to?

• The hack I'd like to see would be adding small c-mount fast zoom/prime lenses to it...

• @fosterchen

Check out Ragecam or ebay, there are options.

• Ive no idea really, just a hacking thought... why couldn't 2x hero 3 cameras shoot side by side in 4K and splice together for 25fps or 30fps ??

• GoPro has the best "hold" music ever! I have to find out what music this is. I almost don't want them to pick up the phone.

• I really like how much extra room you have to crop or stabilize from shooting 2716x1440/24 to a 1920x1080 project:

resChart-crop.png
    2716 x 1440 - 36K
  • @kavadni Previous angles were 170, 127, and 90 degrees. Should be similar, if not exactly the same, this time around.

• ^^^ sorry, didn't mean to post that huge ^^^

And, here are all the res/fps in one file (except for 4K, not really a movie option yet)

resChart.png
    2716 x 1440 - 71K
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev I assume it is using this Sony Sensor which theoretically supports 4K 60p?

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol69/np_imx144cqj.html

If so, could you work some magic or not likely?

• Someone should find a way to mount Zeiss lenses to that baby ;)

• Some would defend price of the Canon C300/C100 !!!!!!!

Yea, some people still just like "big things" that make them feel exclusive. But the price to performance ratio of the offerings like these are an absolute joke. It is funny to see them getting shot in the foot from slow-rolling technology for so long, though. This is what they get...

Bigger frame size, higher data rate, and WAY higher fps options than a $8000 C100... good god that's pathetic.

• @BlueBomberTurbo +1. 170, 127, and 90 degrees for HD3.

90 degrees is wider than Lumix14mm 2.5.

127 degrees is wider than Lumix 7-14mm.

170 degrees is like fisheye. Lots of distortion.

• Better quality of the marketing video here: http://fil.io/fl48NPQwb/gopro_hero3-1920x1080.mp4

• @mpgxsvcd sincerely do you think it is easy to do a 4k (lets say more 3k) camera in such a small form factor. The imaging pipeline processing is the same regardless of the size of the sensor doing 2k/3k/4k. So take the asic in this camera and join it to a larger sensor and it would process the thing at the same level if the sensor is capable of it. Now we are talking $ 400 camera can do this so what do you think about $ 7000 or $ 16000 camera cannot buy a company that is magnitudes larger than Gopro.

I sincerely thought that Blackmagic had dispelled all the belief that 8 bit camera at more than $ 15k was a rip off. 7 years ago, I bought my first digital camera with a Nikon d70 6 megapixel camera, today for less I can get a D3200 with 4 times more pixel, at least 3 stop better ISO/low light and 3 stop better DR. I am not saying that we should get a raw cinema camera for $ 400, but the prices we see are somewhat exaggerated. I guess, we won't have to wait too much, in maximum 2 years time, someone like blackmagic will surely come with an s35 version of the BMC with no string attached. We filmmakers will be able to kiss good buy to those big fat dinosaurs.

• @bwhitz Yes exactly, some people want to have the exclusivity, buy having some equipment and not creativity to set them apart. I hope that someday gopro goes into other camera field like cine ones. It might give them a broader market because the Sony of this world is going after there niche market. So why not retaliate, they even have cineform as codec. The irony is if this market gets fierce competition you might see some Sony $ 400 camera having some better spec than much higher end camera.