Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • This is what i came up with, just a basic WB, add sat, touch of contrast, and unsharp mask nothing else. It was shot at dusk.

Image4.png
    2704 x 1440 - 5M
  • @BlueBomberTurbo, i would be checking on another monitor, your car video is also overly warm, unless that's the look you wanted.

@DrDave, no not a cineform codec, the camera original as posted is mp4. But has shot with Protune enabled, which is 45mbps, WB set as CamRaw, NO in-camera sharpening/contrast or other processing applied.

If one wanted, the video could have been imported into Cineform Studio where the Protune Preset would have automatically corrected the image to a consumer acceptable look or disable the preset and apply your own look.

You could also have Cineform Studio convert the video to Cineform avi/mov codec and import into speedgrade if it accepts Cineform files, or even the original Mp4 if desired. (i don't have speedgrade)

• Just picked up my GoPro III Black from Best Buy. They had several of them. Trying to cancel my GoPro order now. Does anyone know if Best Buy has the "Frame" already? I forgot to ask and don't really want to go back.

• Shown on their site:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&st=gopro+frame

Just have to check local availability.

Wonder if they'll come out with a Skeleton housing for the GP3, or if the Frame is it. Really would miss the HDMI-out for use on a non-microscopic screen.

• @BlueBomberTurbo

The frame was listed as instock when I tried to order it this morning. It magically changed to ships in 3 to 5 days when I tried to submit the order. Guess I will just stick with my GoPro order for the frame.

• Footage and full tips and tricks video coming up later today. This thing is so cool.

• @ mpgxsvcd I´m also more exited for the GoPro3 than for the GH3. Today I was shooting some risking scene with mi GH2 with GoPro i coulded also shoot it more extreme. Love the 120 fps feature and the fact that you can attach it at one ar.drone and have aerial shoots for cheap money or a cheap suchtion cup to attach it at a car etc.etc..

• @DrDave

Not GH2 sharp by any means. However, it doesn't need to be.

Here is a cat picture because I like cats and I am not afraid to admit it.

I know lot's of CA. Not too much detail. And way to much noise for ISO 370. However, you can't put your GH2 on a remote controlled car and blast it around like I am about to do after some resolution tests.

All of my old GoPro 1 accessories work with it. The old LCD Bacpac, Extra battery Pac, and housing seem to work. I got the remote to work and it was great until it stopped working. I think the battery needs more juice for it to work.

The focus distance seems to be set at 8 inches but unlike the GP1 this GP3 holds good focus out to infinity. The new housing is hard to open. Protune adds too much noise but it is really flat. The dynamic range with 2.7K 30 FPS Pro-tune is impressive.

GOPR0004.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
  • Coos stuff. Have you tried smartphone app? How's response?

• I'm not expecting decent results from this camera indoors, but that still is usable. Was that 4K?

• @stonebat

I only have android for my phone. I looked for my son's itouch but he must have hidden it somewhere. I don't think the app is out for android yet.

The picture above is a still frame and not from video.

The quality will be very dissapointing when compared to a GH2 or GH3. However, this is going to be a great way to avoid buying the 12-35mm lens. I am going to test it with it mounted on top of my GH2 tonight at the climbing gym.

Basically any less aperture than F1.4 with the GH2 is useless in there. I wonder if Protune will fix that?

• Piece of crap. I am taking it back!

4K @ 15 FPS protune. Still frame grab. About 8 inches from the resolution chart. The original png file was too big to upload so this jpg will have to do.

GH300002.jpg
    4096 x 2160 - 5M
  • I have a feeling we will get 4K @ 24 FPS with the GP3 one day. I think it will just take a firmware update. I really think that they just were not able to get the 4K completely ready by release. It still is useful for some scenarios.

• 720p @ 120 FPS is not great in wide angle mode. Way too much moire and aliasing. However, narrow might work well. My battery ran out before I could try that.

720p @ 120 FPS wide still image

GH300005.png
    1280 x 720 - 906K
  • I am kidding about returning it of course. It is everything I hoped it would be.

• Ah... lots of CA. I guess it is what it is.

• First day to test. I pushed this one a little too far in post but I am starting to really like these cameras. 1080-24 auto WB protune on

Then I took it in to eat in fairly low light.

second test1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    second test2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Getting a lot of write errors now. Weird.

• @peternap, heh, did not expect to encounter Cracker Barrel on P-V.

• @peternap

I am having trouble with the 64 GB card from the Amazon Gold Box deal. I bought a generic 32 GB card when I bought the GP3 and it seems to work just fine.

• 2.7K @ 30 FPS is REALLY REALLY good. I will post some footage from the GH2 and simultaneous footage from the GoPro. Surprisingly close.

• @mpgxsvcd Did you format it in-camera? Some devices can be really picky with how the card is formatted and set up.

• I couldn't find where to format the card in the Go Pro.