Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @Aria

Yes that is correct.

• For anyone wondering what ProTune vs. Non ProTune looks like. Here are two sample images. This is the highest resolution(2.7K) that you can do in non-protune mode. I will leave it up to you to guess which is which.

Fruit00028.png
    2704 x 1524 - 5M
    Fruit00029.png
    2704 x 1524 - 4M
  • @subco Working on it. ;) Got one GP3 directly from GoPro coming in next month, and hopefully I can scrounge up a second at a local BestBuy between now and then. Found a site that sells the sync cable separate from the housing:

http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/Replacement_GoPro_3D_Sync_Cable_p/eg3sy.htm

Just have to build a mount, probably out of aluminum angle stock.

• I just started playing with 2.7 in protune

flat and after light post

27.png
    2704 x 1440 - 6M
    27adj.png
    2704 x 1440 - 7M
    • Youtube is showing playing as a speed setting.. I seen also WVGA scaled up to HD watching some of the latest GP3 uploads
  • @BlueBomberTurbo

Cool but I like the lens it comes with.

• Any Canucks get a GP3 yet?

• Guys this little device is outstanding!

This is a pretty good indoor still picture. The GF1 was about 8 inches from the camera. It looks like the computer is closer to optimum focus point. That is about 1-2 feet away. However, look at the cabinets they are in focus as well. My old GP1 didn't have things in the distance in focus.

The only issue is that it is 1/12th shutter speed with ISO 400. The GoPro is still definitely an outside/Good Light device.

GOPR0034.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
  • 2.7K Cinema @ 24 FPS with Pro-tune is the best mode to use for low light. It offers the least noise with a reasonable frame rate.

I think this looks really good. Still frame from 2.7K video.

GoPro3Black00025.png
    2704 x 1440 - 6M
  • Here are some straight out of the camera samples from the Go Pro III. You can download the originals as well. There are 4K, 2K, 24 FPS, 30 FPS, Cinema, Protune, and non Protune samples.

The 4K Cinema file is 12 FPS but it is an ultra ultra wide angle. I like the 2.7K Cinema 24 FPS Protune the best for low light.

I will try to post the 1080p and 720p @ 120 FPS samples later.

https://vimeo.com/user442745/videos

GoPro Hero 3 2.7K 30 FPS Non-ProTune

GoPro Hero 3 2.7K 30 FPS Pro

GoPro Hero 3 2.7K Cinema 24 FPS Pro

GoPro Hero 3 4K 15 FPS Pro

GoPro Hero 3 4K 12 FPS Pro

• Here are 3 examples of 1080p Wide, Mid, and Narrow. I think the Narrow is pretty close to the 14mm F2.5 on a multi-aspect ratio sensor camera like the GH2.

I never liked wide angle shots until I got the GoPro 3. I am going to be shooting a climbing comp tomorrow at very close range. The bouldering at the gym is extremely tight. For a lot of shots I won't be more than 2-3 feet from the subjects. I think the 2.7K Cinema mode will work well.

GP3Angle00001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    GP3Angle00002.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    GP3Angle00003.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    GH2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Thanks for these. GP3 looks somewhat blurry in these shots, especially compared to GH2.

• @shamo42 That's from Protune. It disables the in-camera sharpening (along with the NR and contrast), so things will look soft compared to what you're used to seeing from GoPros in the past. They sharpen up well enough in post from what I've seen/experienced, though (look at GoPro's promo vid), especially 2.7K downsized to 1080p.

• @shamo42

GP3 looks somewhat blurry in these shots, especially compared to GH2

I agree. I have been looking at rather too many 1080p videos these past few months while looking at GH2 / FZ200 / LX7 / LX5 and I see a lack of resolution in these images at the pixel level. That is not something which can usually be remedied by sharpening. I have been using Cineform as a codec for years, and have never seen any loss of resolution from it. So I am puzzled what is happening here,

My overall assessment is that my LX7 and FZ200 (in 1080p) seem to be producing clearer images overall than those from GP3, even at 4K...

• @trevmar, I have been using Cineform as a codec for years, and have never seen any loss of resolution from it.

Cineform has nothing to do with it, the camera shoots H264 mp4 at 46mbps in ProTune mode, Cineform is an optional external codec conversion if you need that in your workflow

My overall assessment is that my LX7 and FZ200 (in 1080p) seem to be producing clearer images overall than those from GP3, even at 4K...

Might be something to do with the fact only one of them (the GoPro) is a wearable action cam and the choice of sensor was made with this in mind.

• Simply put. This is a fixed focus camera. I had the subjects too close to the lens before. Sorry, it took some testing to figure that out.

I am leaving for a comp right now. Wait till you see this next video. This will be the first time I shoot wide angle with both GH2 and GP3. Should look really cool at the optimal 1-3 feet.

• @Rambo

Cineform has nothing to do with it

" .. GoPro’s Senior Director of Software Engineering (p.k.a. CineForm CTO.) David Newman .. "

http://www.fxphd.com/blog/cineform_protune_gopro_hero3/

My point was that David knows exactly what a good professional encoder should do. I doubt that he would accept too many compromises from the H264, and I trust him to know how to optimize the data stream going to the codec in order to get maximum pp capability :-)

• David N was my go to guy at Cineform, he definitely knows what he is doing.

• Trevmar said

My point was that David knows exactly what a good professional encoder should do. I doubt that he would accept too many compromises from the H264, and I trust him to know how to optimize the data stream going to the codec in order to get maximum pp capability :-)

But that's not what you said. To quote you " That is not something which can usually be remedied by sharpening. I have been using Cineform as a codec for years, and have never seen any loss of resolution from it. So I am puzzled what is happening here"

I'm assuming you mean Cineform codec was affecting the sharpness/ resolution of the GoPro HD3 image that was posted. As I replied, Cineform codec is not what comes out of the camera and it's OPTIONAL as a conversion in Cineform Studio, most people bypass Studio because it's buggy as hell and David Newman knows it. ( they just released a new Cineform Studio update last nite to try fix it)

I'm well aware who David Newman is, I converse with him regular on Twitter, met with him last year when I was invited by Nick Woodman to tour GoPro HQ's, used his Neoscene products for years and I posted about his his blog here http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2900/-gopro-protune-35mbps-released-app-now-hd3#Item_180

• It's pretty easy to see. If you shoot in Protune off, you get an image that's reasonably sharp. Protune on a moderately soft, noisy, flat image.

The standard sharpening and noise reduction do a pretty good job so it stands to reason the flat image can be improved as much or more.

• I think people need to be careful not to confuse Cineform CODEC with Protune.

David Newman's personal blog http://cineform.blogspot.com

• I know the difference between Cineform (even though I don't use it) and Protune.

I thought the discussion was the sharpness of the image in Protune and using Cineform as a common denominator.

GP3 looks somewhat blurry in these shots, especially compared to GH2

I agree. I have been looking at rather too many 1080p videos these past few months while looking at GH2 / FZ200 / LX7 / LX5 and I see a lack of resolution in these images at the pixel level. That is not something which can usually be remedied by sharpening. I have been using Cineform as a codec for years, and have never seen any loss of resolution from it. So I am puzzled what is happening here,

• @peternap

it stands to reason the flat image can be improved as much or more

The issue is, I think, whether the image can be made 'cleaner' while still retaining an accurate tone curve. Which IMO the in-camera processing does not do.

I have ordered a GP3, and when it comes I will check this out. It is a big deal for me, the GP3 has to remain visibly close to the A-roll tone curve :-)

• In Protune mode, most of the in- camera processing is turned off, including noise reduction, thus the reason for the noisey appearance. The gamma like lift also exposes more noise.

At least you now have a choice, PRotune with flat curve and adjusted in post or non Protune for a consumer exceptable finished look direct from the camera. Pick which ever one matches your A roll.

Problem is, without Protune enabled, there is no 35 - 46mbps data rate, you revert to 16mbps and more artefacts. Pick your poison.