Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @mpgxsvcd Go into the menu settings (Wrench) and scroll to the last choice which is Delete. In the delete option go to All. That's the Format option.

• Is that Moiree for real? Yikes. Rhymes with 4K I guess.

• Ok time to play "Name that Tune". AKA what camera and setting did this come from?

Fruit00001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Fruit00013.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Fruit00017.png
    2704 x 1440 - 5M
    Fruit00021.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Fruit00024.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Fruit00025.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    P1330622.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 6M
    P1330622_2.jpg
    4976 x 2800 - 7M
  • The GP3 won't be replacing your GH2 or GH3 anytime soon. However, it might replace your 12-35mm F2.8 or 12mm F2.0 if money really matters to you.

I have settled on 2.7K @ 30 FPS for most low action close up shots, 1080p @ 60 FPS for action, and 720p @ 120 FPS only when the motion is too fast for 60 FPS to slow down.

To you use 720p @ 120 FPS you really need to use the Narrow settings which disables ProTune but it reduces moire and aliasing greatly.

Protune just boosts the shadows and maybe helps the highlights slightly. It raises noise greatly. I like ProTune but it is a pain to try and switch back and forth.

• Stopped by Target on my way home and they had 1 GoPro item. It was the Hero3 battery. Snagged that for $20. This thing eats the batteries pretty fast if you put the LCD on it and use the wifi.

• Here is a sample 2.7K video @ 30 FPS. Straight out of the camera. A 4K one is uploading as well. Click on Original for resolution to see the youtube 2.7K file.

• @peternap

Thanks for that tip. That resolved my write errors after I formatted the card in camera.

• Mpgxsvcd, It shouldn't be hard to pick the different GoPro modes as the native ones are 1080-60, 2.7K and 1440-30. The rest are scaled, and have more visible artefacts. Info came from our direct contact at GoPro, the guy that shot and edited the main GoPro demo video so straight from the horse mouth.

• 4K footage

• @Rambo

4k isn't scaled. It worked quite well for the video above. Also tell me what other settings were used for each picture(ie: ProTune...WB....etc).

• Mpgsxvcd, thanks for the many screenshots. What is the difference between the last 2 shots?

4K looks incredible. I wish the cam had something in-between like 3.4K @ 24P.

edit: this is the first time I noticed I can watch the "original" file on youtube. The 2.7K video still has A LOT of compression artifacts with only 16.9 Mbits/s.

edit2: The other 2.7K raw video posted on vimeo had about 45 Mb/s. I guess youtube is doing something to the videos after all :( Or can the different framerates cause such a difference?

• @shamo42

YouTube always compresses. The 4k video resolution was cut to 2k. I will try to post to vimeo as well.

• Here is a decent screen grab from 2.7K 30 FPS video. This is with ProTune on and pointed in the direction of the sun which is behind the trees.

Fruit00027.png
    2704 x 1524 - 5M
  • This is kind of bad. Looks like the wifi support won't be completed until mid December. Oh well at least it takes great video.

The GoPro App lets you control your GoPro camera remotely using a smartphone or tablet. Features include full control of all camera settings, live video preview to your smartphone or tablet for easy shot framing and more. The GoPro App also gives you access to our Photo and Video of the Day posts keeping you in touch with the latest radness from GoPro. The GoPro App is available on the Apple App Store™ and coming soon to Google Play. The GoPro App is not compatible with the Original HD HERO camera.

NOTE: A software update for your HERO3 camera is required before using the GoPro app. GoPro app compatibility with the HERO3 will be available for White and Silver Editions on November 12, 2012, and for Black Edition on December 14, 2012. Click here to update your HERO3 product software.

NOTE: HD HERO2 cameras and Wi-Fi BacPacs require a software update before using the GoPro App. Click here to update your HERO2 + Wifi-Bacpac. GoPro App Features

Full control of your HD HERO2 camera’s settings + features
    Live preview makes framing your shot easy
    Access to GoPro’s Photo and Video of the Day

Future GoPro App Features

Playback + Share content stored on your camera’s SD card using your smartphone or tablet
    Multi-camera control

• You could return it now and buy it cheaper later :)

In image quality wise, I don't think GP3 can replace GHx. Not even GFx. It's an action cam. A compact waterproof case, a waterproof remote, a smartphone app, and lots of accessories... That's what makes action cam enticing for sports.

• @stonebat

I am not worried about replacing my GH2/GH3. I am more worried about can GoPro footage be inter-cut into GH2/GH3 footage without a drastic change in quality. After using the GP3 for 1 day I think it can do that in 2.7K and 1080p modes.

The 720p @ 120 FPS is useless. It really is terrible. The 480p @ 240 FPS is even worse.

I filmed a lot with the GoPro mounted on the GH2 last night in our dark climbing gym. The GoPro held its own against the GH2 and the 14mm F2.5. The medium angle of view on the GP3 was almost identical to the 12mm F2.5 on the GH2 in widescreen mode.

I will try to get the footage together tonight.

• @BlueBomberTurbo

Currently the remotego app does not support the GP3. The developer is asking for a donated GP3 if anyone wants it to work with the app.

• @mpgxsvcd Thanks for the hands-on review. 2.7K and 1080p sound great. Yes the medium angle is a wide angle which is ok. Is the narrow angle close to FOV from 20mm 1.7 on Gh2?

• @stonebat

Actually I went back to it and 1080p Narrow is actually closer to the 14mm F2.5. This GoPro is really really wide.

• It seems really wide...

• @stonebat

When I got the GoPro 3 I thought I was getting an alternative to the 12-35mm F2.8. Instead I got an alternative to the 7-14mm F4.0. I actually am becoming more fond of the ultra wide angles. However, it is really easy to get too close to the subjects with the GoPro. Good thing I use the GH2 screen to judge framing.

• I'm also interested in a dual GH/GP3 setup for wide shots at the same time. What is it like in terms of matching exposure with the 2 cameras?

• @Aria

Exposure is hard because you don't have much control over it with the GP3. Pro-tune helps because it flattens everything out though.

• @mpgxsvcd, so it's mostly gonna be on the GH to adjust to get closer to the GP3 I guess.