Personal View site logo
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • @shian I'm actually jealous of people who worked with 35mm. I'm 23 but I've worked with and hired people older than me who have grown up with 35mm and it's a whole new world in production with the way they work. One of the big things is getting it spot on perfect in camera because they were used to waiting a day for dailies and film cost a lot. No room for error one bit.

• I wonder; is the level of price gh2 after gh3?

• @shian I stand by what I say. I am a pro photographer that has work in raw for the last 7 years, I have started from the Nikon d70 to what we could call one of the finest ever RAW camera with a D800. True, that I haven't work with Raw in video, but from my experience working with digital file (more than fifteen years in advertising), I say that a 10 bit 422 log prores file will be enough for 95% of work.

I am starting to see again on BMC site people that are going to do the same error again and again. They will extend there budget to shoot RAW and pair it with some cheap sound recorder/microphone and no light just too succumb to the fab of RAW. If this gh3 is what it is strongly rumored, someone with a gh3 and 3 arri type freshnel or some kino type light, a mixpre-d and recorder with some good mic will be much better off.

• @danyyyel I agree, if that is their workflow they are mistaken. Poor sound and poor lighting is a recipe for disaster.

The GH3 will be a great camera. But as a colorist I was really bummed having worked with the BMD raw footage, to have to go back to the limitations of the GH2 footage. It just made me wish for a flatter image with more color depth out of my GH2 which I love. Or at least the option to have something similar in the GH3.

• Panasonic sold the HVX200 as a "wide dynamic range" camcorder... the result was a poor 8-9 stops DR... If this feature have to be a "stunning" one, we would have had more than just a "wide dynamic range" rumor, but numbers, real numbers like 13 stops DR or more... Wait and see.

• For me the threshold is 12 stop of DR. At this level, you can do a lot of things and you should question your ability as a photographer/cinematographer if you can't use it well. That is know where to place your actors pertaining to the sun/source of light, back lighting, contrast range from inside to outside like open windows a la zacuto test etc.

At 14 stop, you have excellence, I would call it human vision. Think about how you see the world, where you nearly don't care about exposure, where there is detail nearly everywhere, from the shadow to the highlight. There might be some clipping but it is with a very gentle roll-off and once you try to put everything inside it gets a bit the HDR fake look.

This is from my experience with the 12 stop rated Nikon D300/D700 and the 14.5 stop D800.

• @lolodigital There are a lot of internet myth floting about the gh2 dynamic range. People should look at the gh2 raw DR from dxomark or sensorgen to see that the gh2 is about 11.4 stop. Only about half a stop from the Canon 5d mark 3. So if Panasonic wanted to put a 11.4 stop DR camera today they could by releasing a log flat profile in the gh2. So I think that with a little development the last 2 years with no increase in Pixel, the 12 stop and more could easily be achieved at least in photo Raw. Now with a flat picture profile most of this DR could be available in video.

• @danyyyel Even though it's rated at 11.4 stop, I don't find that it is 'usable' in those stops. Personally I find usable detail in the AVCHD GH2 to be around the 8 stop mark, and if I want a superior image I need that to be within a 6-7 stop window. RAW for stills is much better.

From what I've seen from BMC, it looks like it's able to compact a lot of it's usable DR into the ProRes codec, which is really great.

• @itimjim +1

@danyyyel In-camera recorded movie frames have worse image quality than low quality jpeg (the smallest size jpeg option). DXOMark tests RAW photo.

• My first point was about the gh2 as being generally poor in DR. That is only in case of jpeg. What the dxomark result tells us that it is only half a stop lower than the Canon 5d mark3. The problem is that Panasonic profile crushes part of that DR before outputting it video. So it is not farfetched to think that after 2 years of research and development they could increase the DR by at least half a stop to reach 5dmark3 and 1 to 1.5 stop to be more in the Sony exmor type of camera. More so that they did not increase the megapixel. So should they decide to put some flat log profile that would preserve a lot of the DR and we would get a very good DR video camera.

In the case of DXOmark the usable DR applies to every camera. So if you think the gh2 usable DR is lower for the gh2, then it will be the same in the same measure for the other camera. If someone think that the usable DR of the gh2 is 1 or 2 stop lower, then it will be the same case for 5d3 or D800. They have a methodological system in place to calculate clipping point, noise level at a normalise size of 8 megapixel.

For me the concept of usable DR is a a bit absurd. The concept is that you should be able to boost the shadows or bring the highlight to unnatural level. When I shoot a scene, I don't expect the deepest shadows to come to middle gray. I mean if there is an actor there and I want to see him, either I light him or try decrease the highlight level so that I can with exposure put the shadows higher.

• @stonebat What I meant is that the perceive thought the Panasonic is far behind the others of tech for DR is not the case. It is simply that they have put some contrasty picture profile for video. If they wanted tomorrow they could send a firmware update with a log profile in the gh2 that would put it in the 11 stop range because the sensor and raw pipeline is capable of it.

• So we got another rumour confirming the same specs:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/9/5/3292505/panasonic-gh3-micro-four-thirds-spec-sheet-leaked

given that here we all have a shirt written "prisoners of one faith" just look at comments of the average Joe out there...

• @LongJohnSilver

It is not another rumor, it is plain C&P.

• @LongJohnSilver I'm not surprised it's the same specs, it's from the same source 43rumors.

The resolution of the back LCD screen doesn't sound right to me, considering the G5 has a 920K one. I wish they would put a larger square sensor in it, so you can do full image circle 1:1 ratio shots as well as portrait shots without having to rotate the camera

• It says the GH3 screen is OLED tho not LCD, which is a large step up an is still 200line's more rez then GH2 screen.

• @vitaliy_kiselev I know, I expressed myself the wrong way. I pasted that link for the comments :)

• @danyyyel

Some people are claiming that based on the DXO results the DR of the GH2 is not as bad as it sounds. However, looking at the Dpreview results you can clearly see that the GH2 is actually the worst camera they have ever tested for Dynamic Range.

Now it is only about a stop behind the best cameras in DR without any DR expansion applied. However, once those other cameras apply their DR tools then they really start to pull away by many stops. This is because Dpreview could not get the IDynamic feature of the GH2 to trigger with their setup.

It is very hard to get IDynamic to work. However, it might close that gap a little if you get it to engage.

All I hope for is that the GH3 can at least beat the likes of the fixed lens compact cameras like the Sony RX-100 and the Canon S100. If it can equal the OMD then I will be satisfied. I do hope they fix the I.Dynamic mode as well. You should be able to turn it on or off in different levels or have it on Auto instead of it turning itself on or off all the time.

Play with the comparison tool in the link below and you will see how bad the GH2 is for DR especially once you factor in the other cameras DR modes that actually work most of the time.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100/11

• @mpgxsvcd

You want to compare camera DR based on JPEG with dynamic enhancers appliead, right?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I am not sure if Dpreview uses RAW files for the tests where no DR tools are applied. It isn't clear what they use for those tests. However, aren't we talking about movie Dynamic range here anyway? Last time I checked there were not any RAW options for movies on the GH2. JPG is the closest thing to the movie formats.

In any case the GH2 doesn't outperform ANY camera they have tested for DR. That is not a good thing.

As for the dynamic enhancers. Yes if they work and are as good as doing it in post I would certainly compare them as well as comparing the RAW output. The fact is that the GH2 DR tool really doesn't work well. It does work for some other cameras.

In all likelihood what Panasonic means by "Wide dynamic range" is that they have improved the I.Dynamic feature.

• @mpgxsvcd I was just going to tell you that. Dpreview by some strange coincidence stopped testing camera DR in Rawwwwwwwwwww, to only include Jpeg at the same time that Nikon/pentax/sony based exmor sensor started to trash Canon. Since then I have lost any respect for there testing.

• Do you think we are reaching a camera overload? Once there was only the 5D and 7D. Then GH-1. Now we have too many Canon cameras, Black Magic, Scarlet, GoPros, tons of Sony cams from a pocket NEX 5 and 7, Kineraw, Digital Bolex, Nikon D800, etc. Can the market support so many "filmmaking" cameras? None of these are perfect cameras, but I think we are coming to a technology convergence were image quality, 1080p, 2k or 4k is not a real issue. If XLR is addressed in the GH-3 even issues of sync sound in camera won't be a work around anymore. Even if you have the extra cash, who will be buying all these different camera options?

• I don't know about anyone else, but I can't really afford anything over a couple thousand dollars or so. That culls the field quite a bit for me. So I'm really happy when more cameras come out at lower price ranges. The extreme top of my affordability list would be the BMC. After that you have Canon's lower end offerings and Panasonic's GH series. Not such a large list (for me). Scarlets, Sony's FS series, and the like are great cams, but they might as well not exist since I'll never be able to afford one. But the great thing is, as that tech moves forward it trickles down into lower end cameras that I can afford. : )

• The GH3 with XLR would be a dream for people on a small budget. With 50Mbit, that's pretty good quality video. For years, I had a camcorder with XLR. It was good, but not great. Sony NEX-VG20 doesn't suit me in this price range. If I had a BMCC, I would probably use Prores on it, and RAW only for special occasion. Choice is good. Wonderful times.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions