Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • @Mimirsan "Do any of you take photos?"

yes ! with my Alpha65 :-))

• @mimirsan the only photos I take is if I accidentally switch it from C3 mode and press the shutter :-)

With my Pentax K5!

• @mimirsan Yup, I took a fair amount of the photos with the GH2 over the last year, from bracketed HDR to concert photography to portraits of parents and children, etc. Oh and astro photography. Got some moonshots with the GH2 and Canon 600mm f/4 L with EF III Extender. (2X).

The small size of some of the lens choice and sm camera also having a all size make it informal and easy to use in a variety of conditions and people do not "stiffen up" like they sometimes do when I shoot with larger lenses on a 50D. The biggest drawback is the buffer, of course, which makes burst mode photography MUCH more difficult on the GH2 than mid-range DSLRS like the 50D or 7D (let alone the Canon and Nikon flagships). One thing that would be great is if they made it easier to enter focus assist on manual lenses without having to tap the screen. Right now it is cumbersome and counter-intuitive to try and do it if shooting via EVF.

Oh, and the f/0.95 Noktons are such a bargain for lowlight situations and (once again) not that big compared to some other options.

I am surprised you feel the JPEG performance is "piss-poor". I mean, would I also be happy if they improved it? To some extent, but when I am worried enough to care, I am usually shooting RAW+JPEG.

• I use the GH2 and the Pana 7-14mm lens for my job as a real estate photographer. Works like a treat. The GH2 can hold its own in the stills department.

• @thepalalias you don't need to touch the screen for focus assist w/ manual lenses. Just press the wheel w/ your right thumb. Seems pretty intuitive for me when shooting with EVF (always...) :-)

• @astraban Sounds great. Now which one of the wheels are you referring to? :)

• @thepalalias: I use the shutter speed dial (press in) for manual focus assist on the gh2. I personally like the burst mode on the gh2. I find it very fast even with raw + jpeg, although it has to empty the buffer in-between bursts. But yes, I agree that it could be improved further. There should be some great possibilities with sequence shooting (also burst mode) if the rumours about an electronic shutter and fully utilized card writing speeds are correct..

Sorry astraban, I didn´t see your reply. :)

• @thepalalias the wheel that control aperture of lumix lenses (and shutter speed to)... meh, try to explain a technical thing w my english! The right thumb wheel seems clear enough for me ! ;-) Don't turn it, just press it.

@RRRR thank you ;-)

• @astraban @RRRR Got it, so just hold it in like I normally would to switch the selection from aperture to shutter speed, except hold it longer. Thanks! Still not at all intuitive, but should be a lot easier. :)

@RRRR The burst mode seems good, until you compare it. Like you say, the speed is not that bad compared to a 50D for the first few pictures. But buffer is gone almost immeadiately and during concert photography (especially with RAW+JPEG) that is pretty frustrating. The Canon 50D is several years older than the GH2 and the used prices are modest, but the buffer is much, much better. And the 7D is better still. And the D4 and the 1DX make me wish I could justify their purchases right now, just for the buffers and ISO alone (let alone lowlight AF).

But maybe the GH3 can do something on the lowlight AF front. :)

• @thepalalias just use it for manual lenses (when you can´t change the aperture anyway) and make use of the automatic manual focus assist while focusing on panny lenses.

I understand what you mean re: concert photography, which I rarely do. For me it works great for moving subjects, with a bit of gut feeling of when to use the buffer. For extended use though, it can definately improve.

I´m expecting AF performance to be great, although I rarely use it. Peaking (if it works well) should help a lot with focusing manually in the dark along with improved EVF and screen.

• @RRRR Jo, peaking vore ju roligt att ha. Hoppas det kommer funka. :)

• @RRRR @thepalalias Kul konversation, grabbar :)

• @oscillian Roligt, va? :)

So what do people think is going to happen with the buffer? With the emphasis on video in the leaked specs, will the burst mode buffer likely remain about the same?

• @oscillian @thepalalias :) Det får mig att tänka på hur "grabbar" låter med finsk brytning. Hejsan krappar!

From what I´ve read it seems like the pipeline for writing to the card will have a different capacity (which would suggest fast action all-round), hard to tell how they have planned the buffer.. All we can do is speculate.

• Really it all comes down to what do you need? If you don’t need wifi, better stills, electronic shutter, 1080p @ 60 FPS, or any of the other new features then you won’t buy the GH3. If you do need any of those features then you have to decide whether the extra money is worth it.

The things that they have added are very specialized features. They simply are not going to help everyone. However, for the people that want them and know how to use them they could be very beneficial.

For the most part 1080p @ 24 FPS isn’t going to improve a great deal unless they really can achieve a significant increase in dynamic range. If you only shoot 1080p @ 24 FPS then the image quality probably isn’t going to change much.

• wifi would be great if we could use ipad and stream the video wirelessly. But not sure on the possibility of that though because of the bitrates that would need to send wirelessly. But I'm no techie when i comes to wireless.

• @allenswrench -I really cracked up too about your earlier rant re: the consumer camera and your clients and the cranes.

[advertising/corporate] Clients will almost always show you a bad time if they can't get good set photos and videos with their iphones to show their dates that they work on set. When it comes right down to it, clients almost always need to be educated, and sometimes schooled, about filmmaking.

I was thinking we should design and procuce [in China] an inflatable camera bag for the [gh3] that makes it look and sound like an arriflex 35bl3.

THese little panny devils are enough for most non-fx work, but really, with a big video village and a lot of hand wringers around, I'd try to get the PM to rent a bigger camera for clients to look at, while you grab all the shots you need in one hour with the little consumer camera.

I WILL buy the gh3 if the build is higher quality than the gh2 - even with the same specs as the gh2 I would buy a more solid feeling, ergonomic cam. My big sausage fingers alway get sweaty and cramp up using the gh2 on a hot day. Also, please forgive the typos.. ;)

Yeap. With my X10.

• It'll be interesting to send a jpeg capture from MTS from Gh3 to iPad wirelessly. Then analyze vectorscope and waveform if there is such app.

• @bheath

...with a big video village and a lot of hand wringers around, I'd try to get the PM to rent a bigger camera for clients to look at, while you grab all the shots you need in one hour with the little consumer camera.

A used AF100 works well for that purpose, and you won't need to buy any new lenses for it (unless you were looking for an excuse to).

• @LPowell - Or just simply my old arri SR HS with some worn out 16mm prints loaded into the mags... :) New lenses...always!

• @mpgxsvcd wrote -

Really it all comes down to what do you need? If you don’t need wifi, better stills, electronic shutter, 1080p @ 60 FPS, or any of the other new features then you won’t buy the GH3. If you do need any of those features then you have to decide whether the extra money is worth it.

The things that they have added are very specialized features. They simply are not going to help everyone. However, for the people that want them and know how to use them they could be very beneficial.

For the most part 1080p @ 24 FPS isn’t going to improve a great deal unless they really can achieve a significant increase in dynamic range. If you only shoot 1080p @ 24 FPS then the image quality probably isn’t going to change much.

The very fact that so many users asked for these improvements suggests that there are more users who may NEED these things than those who don't. I'm pretty sure that Pany did some research into this before adding all this stuff to the camera. Why waste all that money on features that won't compel people to buy the product? They had plenty of time to listen to what the Community had to say about the GH2 and gather a lot of insight into how we use the cameras. IMO the GH3 is a direct response to how we use the GH or wish we could use it. These aren't cosmetic upgrades. I remember similar lines of thought about the value of the GH2 over the GH1. I get the sense that this time it will be an even more significant difference.

The image quality has a chance to be better even at 24p. There are so many issues with the image of the GH2 that Pany had a lot of room for improvement in that area alone. Any improvements in DR and Noise will be beneficial to all. We'll have to see just what the final product is but it seems that Pany really pushed the envelope on the GH this time. This isn't a normal conservative bump in features you usually see from one model to the next. IMO the GH3 is in another category from the GH2 in terms of build quality alone. The Hack community did them a favor. Free Research and experimentation. Free feedback and polling. I'm sure we'll push this camera even further as well.

• @bheath "I was thinking we should design and procuce [in China] an inflatable camera bag for the [gh3] that makes it look and sound like an arriflex 35bl3."

I'm sure it is quite possible.

Want to make people think your car has really expensive Brembo brakes but don't have a couple of thousand dollars to buy them? Well how about spending just $18 on some fake clip on Brembo caliper covers and you will have most people fooled... Oh and just one thing. Don't expect them to stop your car like real Brembo brakes! ;>)

FAKE Plastic Brembo Brake Caliper Covers...

• Heh. I see a lot of the same "I won't buy it unless it's ________!!!!" stuff like we saw with the GH2. People wanted B frames, they got B frames. They wanted less CMOS noise, they got less CMOS noise, they wanted HDMI out, they got HDMI out, etc, etc. Now they are all, "we asked for it and got it but it wasn't exactly what we wanted!" you guys will never be happy. :)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions