Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • Truth be known, uncompressed is much easier to implement than complicated compression algorithms.

It is more easy from software engineer view and encoder part. From other sides it is not. You need much more RAM, it must be more speedy, bus must be wider, chip must run a higher frequencies, suitable SD cards and controllers do not exist.

• One thing that gives me hope about the possible image quality of the GH3 is what Sony was able to do with 28mbits in the FS100. The strength of the codec and processors can make all the difference. Given how good the GH2 was even with the original 24mbits I think with an improved sensor, more processing and the higher bit rates, the GH3 could really do a lot image quality wise. This is of course all conjecture, but so far we've seen some reasonable evidence from Pany from the GH1 to the GH2 and now with the help of the Hack community they really have seen the light and won't be holding back with the GH3! If they can get the GH3 up to about 11 stops i'd be happy with that given how I work. Especially if they can improve the highlight handling.

• Guys, want to reming to add your GH3 (and other cameras) related questions to

http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/questions-open/open-questions-topic (just register and edit the page)

All good questions concerning GH3 will asked in interview with one of Panasonic top managers.

• @VK I culled a few of the questions here and some of my own and put them under http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/questions-open/open-questions-topic Please use the Video/Photo/Audio sections, to help with the interview.

• Unfortunately I don't we will get 10 bit in the gh3. I see it more in a af200 type of camera.

• I have a GH1 and normally use legacy manual glass. On the GH1 I only have "live view" on the EVF when I'm in the video mode. This makes shooting stills more challenging, as I need to set the shutter speed and aperture when in video mode, then switch the camera to "M" mode and hope for the best when I take the still.

Does the GH2 behave the same way and if so, I would like to know if the GH3 will have the ability to set live view in M mode in a menu. Would help me a lot when switching between stills and video.

I didn't post the question in the Photokina questions area, as I'm not sure if the GH2 already addressed this.

Thanks.

• Oh, I just found out BMCC now has MFT mount coming out... that changes everything!

• @JanH

The GH2 has a "constant preview" option in settings that shows changes you make. It isnt very accurate mind.

• hey everybody, (RGB/White) remember that ? : http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-rgbw-sensor-and-olympus-pancake-patents/

don't know if it is already un GH3.. :/

• I am amazed at this thread. I know we are the Gx community, but I really couldn't care less about GH3 release. I have had regular updates of my cam over the last 10 years, and just so happens I was really conservative I guess. Every time a different brand. From a DV, in 2006 I got the Sony FX-1E, and the next one was the GH-2. Each one was a revolution of sorts, going from SD to HDV, and later to a larger sensor.

Having said that, I find it hard to believe people here are on edge about another 8bit AVCHD cam, whatever it may have.

Love the wish lists; global shutter, 10bit, 422, new file system, normal HDMI, even as miserable as keeping the same batteries. You do know none of this will happen, right?

A 70Mbps intra, weather-proof body?

The GH2 sensor on it's own has a great native DR but it is DISABLED. I am sick of companies that disable their customers. I switch ADSL, telephone, electricity, gas and every other service every year and I always get a better deal.

Besides, the "upgrade cycle" is way to accelerated, I need to skip at least a generation or 2.

I just can not wait for the GH3 to ship, so that people can complain how the sky shows AOL-like banding, body is bulky, the zoom rocker on the revolutionary new lenses doesn't work like on their old Panasonic handycam, their 5£ Costco card is not intra friendly, and the wife's pink GH3 resolves more lines horizontaly, clearly demontstrated by attached iPad screenshot.

Where will GH3 fit really? I really am hoping for ONE redeeming feature but I am going with my gut - another insulting 8bit cam with "smile recognition", iDXGWW whatever and 9 stops of DR in AVCHD. Panasonic might just be the most conservative of the grand Japanese companies.

Even Sony makes a camcorder-looking NEX and even a FF with a fixed lens :)

I have the uneasy feeling that a lot of people will be sobered up when they boot up their GH3 and are asked to "register your facesmile and add family facesmiles too:)"

That is just what this camera is DESIGNED to be. Sorry.

• @allenswrench

I laughted really loud reading your post :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Sorry, had a bad day with 2 GH2s :) mostly do to the client expecting to see several Panavisions mounted on jibs with no budget. But, YOU will get a lot of copy/paste shit when the GH3 gets released :) "Please 10bit hack", "Please RAW" :) Have a good one!

• Sorry, had a bad day with 2 GH2s :) mostly do to the client expecting to see several Panavisions mounted on jibs with no budget.

This is why big MBs mounted on rails, FFs and lighting set can do miracles with people, even if you really be better without all this stuff.

• I think as long as you have great quality production, That should be the only thing that should matter in the final analysis.

• @bleach551

Isn't it fun? May be true meaning of life (besides plastic, of course) is to defend your choice and justify why you do not need something else?

• Like as if the world cares why I do not need something else.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.

from Old Boy (2003)

• Or you could go through life saving all badges from all the products, then stick them on the latest one you bought calling it a "PhilipsSonyCanonNikonPanasonicTechnicsetc" evolution. And as companies are now "entities" you should ask them to give you a Sony or Panasonic passport. If you are within warranty offcourse!

• @stonebat This comment was nothing to do with any of yours :) just showed up there, actually it's about brand loyalty

• The quote doesn't apply to you :)

• While I'm sure the GH3 will be a worthy upgrade to the GH2, my hunch is that Panasonic will offer only a modest bump in performance, combining the G3's low-noise sensor with the FZ200's 1080p50/60 video modes and high-speed auto-focus. I'd be surprised if they abandon AVCHD in order to implement higher bitrates or I-frame codecs. And if we're lucky, Panasonic may even clean up the HDMI monitor output to enable live recording of the 8-bit 4:2:0 video stream, with audio.

Where I think the GH3 is most likely foreshadowed is in the unique features of the new Lumix GX 12-35mm f2.8 zoom. This is Panasonic's first metal-barreled zoom with a rubber seal on the lens mount. It is also the first Lumix zoom with a fast, constant f2.8 max aperture, along with completely silent operation. That makes it particularly well-suited for shooting video.

To match these Lumix GX features, I expect the GH3 will have a magnesium body and some degree of weather sealing. Manual controls of course, with more dials and touch-screen controls than the G3. This would give the GH3/12-35mm combo a compact but solid feel compared to the sleek and lightweight G3.

• Just an observation here. I was looking at some of the stats for Canon and Nikons APSC cameras the other day and one camera stood out to me. When I saw the Nikon D7000 I thought that looks like a GH2.5. The D7000 has the metal body, weather resistant, dual sdcard, high-res LCD, battery grip, best in class DR sensor, and tethering to PC. The GH2 and D7000 were released the very same month; D7000 was priced $200 higher I think. Going back over the rumoured features for GH3 it may be that early Panasonic development was simply aimed at bringing the GH3 up to level of D7000.

Where will GH3 fit really? I really am hoping for ONE redeeming feature

Hah I think you are on to something here. The Unique Selling Proposition is indeed what sells things. For the GH2 you wonder if the hacks became a USP and if that is measurable.

Of all the rumours I think the one surrounding the built-in codecs is most interesting to me. I have to discount all radical theories but if I allow myself to imagine panasonic implementing an announced technology in their pro-mirrorless cam - I would choose AVC-LongG and AVC-I.

My feature imagined but unlikely to make it would be an AVC-VK codec with user accessible config files and way to make your own picture profiles for log recording.

• I'm more excited about the GH3 than I was before these rumors came out. This is much more of the camera most of us wanted the GH2 to be. I can't for the life of me understand any negative slant that could be put on what Pany has seemingly done with this camera. They've been promoting the GH2 as a Hybrid camera, which it was more so than most other VDSLR's. Now it's even more of a pro capable camera based on what is leaking out so far.

From what I can see most of everything we've been asking for has been implemented and i'm sure we haven't heard everything this camera has yet. I can't think of any camera in it's price range that will offer more bang for the buck. The only things that remain are just how much of an improvement there is in the image. Whether or not we'll get 4:2:2 or not. Most everything else seems to be a great improvement.

• Ive a question

Do any of you take photos?

Y'see in case many have forgotten. The upcoming GH3? Its not a pro spec video camera. You may all talk about the GH3 like it is going to be but its not.

Yeah it'll most likely do great video and wish lists are fun and all but Panasonic are not actually obligated to deliver most of the things you are after.

All Im hoping for they just improve the jpeg output. GH2 was piss poor in that area.

• @Mimirsan

I for one hope for good stills capabilities. However, you say it´s not a video camea - it´s been clear from day 1 that the gh series is a hybrid, even if it hasn´t been perfect. Hopefully there will be no compromise (relatively speaking, not talking about tech jerk off pixel peeping mania but solid performance overall) anywhere with the gh3.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions