Personal View site logo
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • @kazuo Those color shift issues in the pool shark footage were inadvertently created by John B in Resolve during color correction. They are not there on the uncorrected footage.

If you are referring to the moire pattern in some of the ProRes footage, that is because the camera is downscaling from 2.5K to 1080 in camera and there is no AA filter on the BMCC. When shooting RAW you do not get this. Third parties will more than likely make a removable AA filter soon. I will get one for when I shoot ProRes or DNxHD.

• Think even with firmware 1.0, it seems BM is dishing out quite a formidable product, based on posted footage anyway.

Apart from overheating issues (thanks @johnbrawley for clarifying the cam doesn't overheat), i am also concerned with colour shifts. Was reading a thread posted by @Shian, and I want to share that i too experienced very bad colour shifts during one of my shoots with a GH2. The colour basically shifted from blue to orange as the camera tilted up, under continuous kino lighting. The shift wasn't even imperceptible, or gradual, it was in fact quite stark. This is one of those irksome things about GH2, and if BM manages to sidestep this issue, then it could turn out to be a very good cam for the asking price.

• I think the big advantage with the BM cam, wont be realized with version 1.0 firmware. Remember they produce the software that manipulated most high end film/video projects. Example for red footage, Resolve has to adapt to the filestructure and matrix. If you control both the camera and the grading software you can tweak the firmware and version 2.0 hardware to get the best marriage between camera and software. NO ONE else will be able to do that. Canon is not going to open up their C300 firmware and be open to BM to tweak the camera firmware.

Example is like Vitaliy, able to tweak the GH-2 firmware for us to get the files we want for post. At least as close as we can come. I doubt Panasonic would do the same tweaks for BM or Adobe.

• Man, I can't wait to get my order.

• @kazuo I've had the camera on continuously for an entire day. The chassis barely gets warm. I've also recorded continuously for 2 hours in ProRes to an SSD.

The camera doesn't overheat.

jb

• colour, DR, resolution, well, kick ass! Still, I'll wait and see how it sits in an extensive workflow. We dun know if this guy will overheat.

• Looking very good!

• Very Nice!

Color and latitude look great! So does the detail... even with vimeo compression!

• No comment on quantities .. it would be nice to think the first batch would be more than the preorders

• @kavadni

This is good news.

We are still not sure about volume of initial shipments.

• http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/367/63

Hi,

Just an update about the camera's shipping status.

We expect the Blackmagic Cinema Camera to begin shipping within two weeks, with the first shipments getting to our resellers by the third week of August. The camera is nearly ready for manufacturing and shipping now, and is in the process of Thunderbolt certification and final internal testing. Once this is complete, manufacturing and shipments to all worldwide offices will start.

regards

Kristian Lam Blackmagic Design

• @johnnym they will soon release down-loadable footage, in DNG and ProRes. They plan to shoot this with the shipping version of the camera's software.

jb

• For me the onky extra I would dream of is holy global shutter mode. Even If I loose 3 points of dinamic range It will still be great addon. The camera will then be a true cinema camera, incredible for documentary work

• @johnbrawley The day you can show some of the footage, i'd love to see it. You think they'll lift the embargo at some point?

• for me right now , the lack of m4/3mount , 1080 48/50p, and compression options (2:1/3:1/5:1) holds me back from buying this camera, but damn.. the footage looks sooo good, it will be hard to resist!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes, I realize it´s complicated.. For me it would not be the end of the world anyway. I second the request for possible use of global shutter..

• @RRRR

Issues here is not only sensor heat, but RAM speed, their processor power and SSD.
    it is not simple thing.

• I don´t give a **** about 60 fps. 50 is plenty. 48 would be great, as an option.. :)

• @johnnym Hi. Thanks for the comments on CocoRosie. I shot some AWESOME shots with the camera, just as behind the scenes. We had a great sun set ! I'm afraid it was embargoed though so I can't show it.

jb

• only 30fps for now. They might be able to squeeze a bit more out of it but not likely the 60fps that everyone wants.

Personally, I am more interested of same FPS, but global shutter mode, that this sensor is able of.

• @shian only 30fps for now. They might be able to squeeze a bit more out of it but not likely the 60fps that everyone wants.

Maybe the next version.

JB.

• Overcranking? Yes? No? Coming eventually??

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions