Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • This camera looks gorgeous... especially that Metadata entry screenshot. This is THE FUTURE. Canon, Panasonic, Sony are going to to get nervous now... who needs the FS-700 or C500 now? Who is going to buy a NIkon D800 or 5D Mark III for video if you can get this cheaper?

Looks like they are going for volume. I am going to buy one for sure, if IQ delivers. The metadata is compatible with Resolve and Final Cut Pro X (which I am using).

• So it's basically the same sensor size as our GH2s. How about flange distance? Could this puppy mount as many lenses as m43 with proper adapters?

• Waiting for that other companies will pull out maximum by firmware what their cameras can give.

• @duch

It means that you can adjust focus (on EF lenses), not AF.
    They also have Lanc to do it remotely.

• @duch It would be very interesting. We have to contrast this information. If so, this is THE CAMERA!!!

• Yeah right, I mixed AF with remote focus there, my bad. Really neat feature though.

AF is not much of a cine feature anyway.

• @oscillian

How about flange distance? Could this puppy mount as many lenses as m43 with proper adapters?

If you look at photos, you'l see that they probably have some variants in mind. As make different small element to reduce flange distance seems to be easy.
    I am sure we'll soon have official answer from NAB.

• BM camera image is posted under a tile " OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA " on John Brawley's blog ! Is that a typo or really it's the Olympus that is going to manufacture the BM's cameras !?

Here is the link :

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lets-take-it-from-the-top/olympus-digital-camera-48/

• What is considered " standard " when it comes to audio plugs ? They are calling their audio input plug standard. Is that XLR !?

• Wow, the revolution will be televised. I see this as A cameras on many shoots. Nice how they have on their promo videos shuts of people by the beaching shooting the wave with their c300 and other canon cameras. I guess they're trying to tell them something, we are watching you, we're coming for you big name canon, sony, panasonic, nikon. Hope this turns out good. Then I will say I have a good A cam for my GH2.

• @CRFilms Yeah, that sorta makes my point. This cam is supposedly on sale in July. The kine raws are out there in prototype forms...

• BM has been great in terms of design and performance in the past years, but this is a real surprise. BTW, it also fits into their live production line ...

• @010101

As I understand they tried to keep it as secret as possible.

It looks like it came as a shock for major brands.

• @Oblikovalnik , are you referring to live event, mulit-cam? Because there is no TC jam capabilities. At least, not yet...

• dont be surprised if you hear that bmd is sold to big camera players...

• For Blackmagic, it kind of is a natural extension of the knowledge they have build up: interfaces, the software, the codecs.

• John Brawley said in your web: ""At the moment the “focus” button operates a peaking function on the screen, but in the future, that will probably activate auto focus.""

• @ Vitaliy, Sorry for repeating this, but i guess nobody has seen this :

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lets-take-it-from-the-top/olympus-digital-camera-48/

Is this a typo or really this is going to be an Olympus camera !?

• @010101

No one knows this for certain :-) Most probably some precauntion to avoid accidental leaks.

• I would assume m4/3 lens would fit with a reverse flange, if needed, that moved the lens a bit into the camera. Hoping for an m4/3 version for my lenses, or a suitable adapter.

• I just jizzed in my pants. I'm officially sealing off my piggy bank and waiting for this.

• could we sign a petition for a m43 compatible mount?

• sorry, is it just me or does the test footage seem nothing so much as soft. I don't really seem much more DR, but maybe its just early days (or web compression). I'm certainly intriguiged, but as the gh2 has proven, specs are not everything....

• @JDN

Yeah cuz Vimeo is THE PLACE to judge footage. ;-) Haven't you heard?

• @rockroadpix I would be surprised if they left this market out, they are coming on many fronts.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions