Personal View site logo
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • @johnbrawley

So the news is that the camera won't ship with an AA filter. They may make a user install able one later. For now you get all the resolution.

That's fine with me. If it's only moire-ing on really fine patterns like mesh chairs, I'd rather have all the resolution. I've even seen moire on Red footage in theaters. It's just something inherent to digital capture and viewing. The F35 even had pretty bad moire from what I've heard.

• If you take the example from the D800 and D800e the lost of resolution at pixel level is minimal. If it is no magic AA Nikon solution, I would say it would be a much better solution. Better have a little less resolution than moire problem. One can be cured easily with a sharpen filter, the other one is much more difficult to deal with.

• @johnbrawley Great Test John.. WOW!!!!!!!!!! My OOH MY this BMC is a beast the DR in this Baby is insane for that price point, resolution is right on not too sharp just right.. very filmic I've worked with alexa footage very similar WOW!!!! again for less than the 5D MarkIII we getting that quality I don't know what else we can ask for... this cam is perfect. That little Moire is really nothing people the audience will never pay attention to such small detail I've seen many hollywood budget movies with moire no big deal, remember stories sales. With that said I'm all in, gonna place my order beginning of August. With footage looking like this I don't see the need to go out buy a RED Cam, Canon C300, 1Dc, C500, or Alexa I'm not Knocking those other camera's they are all great in their own right. Even as a beginner with Davinci Resolve John pulled a really nice grade imagine what a season colorist can do. I'm soo excited people BlackMagic has bridged the gap between the Pro market & Indie market.

• Overcranking? Yes? No? Coming eventually??

• @shian only 30fps for now. They might be able to squeeze a bit more out of it but not likely the 60fps that everyone wants.

Maybe the next version.

JB.

• only 30fps for now. They might be able to squeeze a bit more out of it but not likely the 60fps that everyone wants.

Personally, I am more interested of same FPS, but global shutter mode, that this sensor is able of.

• @johnnym Hi. Thanks for the comments on CocoRosie. I shot some AWESOME shots with the camera, just as behind the scenes. We had a great sun set ! I'm afraid it was embargoed though so I can't show it.

jb

• I don´t give a **** about 60 fps. 50 is plenty. 48 would be great, as an option.. :)

• @RRRR

Issues here is not only sensor heat, but RAM speed, their processor power and SSD.
    it is not simple thing.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes, I realize it´s complicated.. For me it would not be the end of the world anyway. I second the request for possible use of global shutter..

• for me right now , the lack of m4/3mount , 1080 48/50p, and compression options (2:1/3:1/5:1) holds me back from buying this camera, but damn.. the footage looks sooo good, it will be hard to resist!

• @johnbrawley The day you can show some of the footage, i'd love to see it. You think they'll lift the embargo at some point?

• For me the onky extra I would dream of is holy global shutter mode. Even If I loose 3 points of dinamic range It will still be great addon. The camera will then be a true cinema camera, incredible for documentary work

• @johnnym they will soon release down-loadable footage, in DNG and ProRes. They plan to shoot this with the shipping version of the camera's software.

jb

• http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/367/63

Hi,

Just an update about the camera's shipping status.

We expect the Blackmagic Cinema Camera to begin shipping within two weeks, with the first shipments getting to our resellers by the third week of August. The camera is nearly ready for manufacturing and shipping now, and is in the process of Thunderbolt certification and final internal testing. Once this is complete, manufacturing and shipments to all worldwide offices will start.

regards

Kristian Lam Blackmagic Design

• @kavadni

This is good news.

We are still not sure about volume of initial shipments.

• No comment on quantities .. it would be nice to think the first batch would be more than the preorders

• Very Nice!

Color and latitude look great! So does the detail... even with vimeo compression!

• Looking very good!

• colour, DR, resolution, well, kick ass! Still, I'll wait and see how it sits in an extensive workflow. We dun know if this guy will overheat.

• @kazuo I've had the camera on continuously for an entire day. The chassis barely gets warm. I've also recorded continuously for 2 hours in ProRes to an SSD.

The camera doesn't overheat.

jb

• Man, I can't wait to get my order.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions