Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • I think the big advantage with the BM cam, wont be realized with version 1.0 firmware. Remember they produce the software that manipulated most high end film/video projects. Example for red footage, Resolve has to adapt to the filestructure and matrix. If you control both the camera and the grading software you can tweak the firmware and version 2.0 hardware to get the best marriage between camera and software. NO ONE else will be able to do that. Canon is not going to open up their C300 firmware and be open to BM to tweak the camera firmware.

Example is like Vitaliy, able to tweak the GH-2 firmware for us to get the files we want for post. At least as close as we can come. I doubt Panasonic would do the same tweaks for BM or Adobe.

• Think even with firmware 1.0, it seems BM is dishing out quite a formidable product, based on posted footage anyway.

Apart from overheating issues (thanks @johnbrawley for clarifying the cam doesn't overheat), i am also concerned with colour shifts. Was reading a thread posted by @Shian, and I want to share that i too experienced very bad colour shifts during one of my shoots with a GH2. The colour basically shifted from blue to orange as the camera tilted up, under continuous kino lighting. The shift wasn't even imperceptible, or gradual, it was in fact quite stark. This is one of those irksome things about GH2, and if BM manages to sidestep this issue, then it could turn out to be a very good cam for the asking price.

• @kazuo Those color shift issues in the pool shark footage were inadvertently created by John B in Resolve during color correction. They are not there on the uncorrected footage.

If you are referring to the moire pattern in some of the ProRes footage, that is because the camera is downscaling from 2.5K to 1080 in camera and there is no AA filter on the BMCC. When shooting RAW you do not get this. Third parties will more than likely make a removable AA filter soon. I will get one for when I shoot ProRes or DNxHD.

• @johnbrawley gorgeous looking image. You'd certainly be fired as a steadicam operator, yet very interesting to see the effect of the jitter. I'm not sure i like the type of jitter, although the rolling shutter is ok. But then you do suck at steadicam, too. ;) What was the shutter speed in those steadicam takes? And the lighting yes, it's blissful. Such immensely beautiful colours; (By the way, you might do this pretty girl a favour if you tell here she's probably spring type (ginger hair, wonderful olive eyes -i'm no expert!), so anything warm and intense would suit her better than her kaki coat. http://wardrobeshop.com/content/how-dress-different-skin-types-spring-skin-type )

Thanks for sharing this footage! You're making me happier every time.

• @johnbrawley or anybody. Sorry for the simple question, but when shooting prores, can you give me a gb/min estimate.

• So that would be just a little over 1 gb per minute of recording @ 24p? Similar to what driftwood gets on his high data rate settings? Assuming this to be correct, I'm guess I'll get 3 1/2 + hrs on a 240 gb SSD card.

• @johnnym

The shutter speed was 180 deg @ 25 fps. 1/50th sec.

• @johnbrawley Can you tell me the file sizes you are getting in prores?
    I don't use prores, but will be using it more often than not on the new cam. I'm getting different answers on the prores vs proresHQ file sizes and have been told the camera only does proresHQ. Thus maybe about 2 1/2 hrs per 256GB hard drive for proresHQ, Is that about right?

• It only does ProRes 422(HQ).

I think it's in the order of about 2 hours to fill my 240GB drive.

jb

• Latest is my camera will be shipping out around Aug 24 or following monday. I'm high in the cue and have been told receive date is Aug 24.

Spent the last 2 days researching SSD's and it looks like the technical savy are saying to wait until a new/ better list comes forth from Black Magic. Tough to wait, but I guess that's what I'll do even though there were some good sales this week. Going to start with two 256GB SSD's.

What are others with camera orders in doing?

• I'm sure the SSDs which work with the BM Hyper- oder Studio-Shuttle will work with the camera too.

• What are others with camera orders in doing?

I think that all of them are just waiting.

• Will there be a log mode available in prores?

• @MattRobertson7 You can Choose in ProRes either "FILM" which is a LOG style image or "VIDEO" which is a 709 style image.

• Who makes the actual camera? Is it some Chinese slave-labor OEM parts company like Foxconn that slaps "BlackMagic" on the name plate with a huge markup added (like most things these days), or is it designed and manufactured in the U.S.A.?

• @JohnTollwannabe

No, it is Australian slaves. But I am sure John will confirm that they feed them enough and they have warm place to sleep :-)

• who give a f*** about designed n manufactured in USA? Seriously what has USA got to offer this days besides designing and manufacturing weapons of mass destruction. BM is an Aussie company btw.

• More news, good news.

Shipments of Blackmagic Design’s eagerly anticipated Cinema Camera have been delayed.

The 2.5K device, which was unveiled at NAB earlier this year, was meant to ship in July.

Blackmagic EMEA senior PR manager Patrick Hussey said the camera would be delivered to customers by the end of the month.

“We are making a few tweaks because we want to make sure we release a quality product, not substandard kit,” he said.

“The reality of the situation is that a four-week delay is not an awful lot, particularly when you consider that delays to products from other manufacturers can be much more substantial.”

Hussey declined to provide more information about the “final round of tweaks”, but he said suggestions from some resellers that the delay related to third party licencing issues were incorrect.

“There are no problems there and Thunderbolt approvals have been granted.

“All products go through a quality assurance process and we’re just making sure everything is nailed down.”

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/techfacils/blackmagic-reassures-customers-over-camera-delay/5045378.article

• That's good news. I have been in personal contact with Patrick on a few occasions and for me he's an honest guy as much as anyone can be in such a position.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions