Personal View site logo
Canon 5D Mark III topic
  • 240 Replies sorted by
  • Just for fun....

• Seeing dpreviews tests comparing the jpg engine of the mkIII it makes me think that this is related to the video resolution being on the soft side. the video is probably taken through a similar pipeline as the jpgs, just with a different target resolution.

• Here's an odd thing.

Took the EOS5 Mk3 for a walk tonight, took some Raw and HDR images along with a few seconds of video - checked them on the screen for obvious duffs.

Took both cards out of the camera to check the files on a bigger screen --- there not there!!! Took a couple of HDR shots on the same cards to check, all working.

Just the files from earlier today missing ...

• Looks like the ML team popped the 5D3's cherry...

https://twitter.com/#!/autoexec_bin/status/195800277079687169

Let the 'uncrippling' begin!

• plasmasmp: "The fantascism on the C300 really makes me scratch my head, for the same price you can get RAW 4k with the scarlet, and the workflow is just as simple, maybe even simpler."

Haha you jerk. You never worked with raw yet - did you? RED workflow is not even a little bit as fast as the one of the C300. With the Canon you can go directly in post - without grading, without proxy and without buying additional disk space... BUT.. both are very lovely cameras with awesome picture!

• @Rambo

I think it is related to this "light leak" thing.

• There are rumors of a global mk111 return to factory recall by Canon, anyone else heard this?

• it looks to me than Nikon has a better DR, less blown out highlights for sure..

• This Adorama comparison between the 5D Mk III and the Nikon D800 does seem to suggest that the Canon is superior when it comes to reduced noise with higher ISO. The Canon seems to have slightly better DR too. What do others think?

• So I got round to trying the video out on the EOS5D MkIII

If you select 1080p you'll see some sections are a bit soft - thats down to me not understanding the way that that the focus works whilst you're recording.

I do have some footage of helicopters - this is really where you see the difference with the GH2. I'm going to be happy having both.

• I'm sure the 5D3 is another amazing stills camera, as is the D800. The video in daylight is still behind a GH13, let alone a hacked GH2. The fantascism on the C300 really makes me scratch my head, for the same price you can get RAW 4k with the scarlet, and the workflow is just as simple, maybe even simpler.

On a high-end PC, you can edit gop1 gh2 files just as easily as Scarlet X files. Drag and drop in Vegas Pro, apply realtime GPU effects, oh yeah - and change any and all settings WB, ISO, etc etc all on the fly.

• @rigs "Bloom is pouring coolaid for the world on this."

This is just what happens when you're one of the bigger bloggers... and end up on the "radar". I really do like him personally, but you can kind of feel canon's influence lately. I really wish he could go back to being a bit more objective again... because I do like the personable touch of his reviews and such.

I mean his statements about the C300 being one of the best options right now? C'mon... maybe if it's FREE to you. But the performance/spec to price ratio is maybe the worst in the last 10 years. The lack of 1080p 60fps over-cranking is just pitiful. That alone justifies the price coming down to the $3000-$5000 range. I'm just not even thinking about investing in another camera that doesn't shoot full-res 60fps. Even with the softness of the new 5DIII... I MAY have bought one if it could do 1080p 60fps. But it still being 720p... with the new processing... was just icing on the cake. That soft, soft, cake. ;)

• Full frame for video does have its fair share of goodness even tho its upscaled 720p. But buying it for video is absurd at the moment unless you simply shoot low light. I hope Canon would reconsider and release a magic firmware update that simply unleashes this beast, they cant be beaten by freaking Nikon that knows nothing about video. I'm still buying a 5D3 when i can get my hands on it since its a awesome stills camera. Changing to Nikon would have cost me too much. I'm sure i will be pleased.

• Yes, I am hopping getting my d800 next month for my photography. Everything in terms of video will be a plus for me. For now in terms of low light, jello (seems very good) and DR it seems a step above the gh2. Unfortunately you can still see some aliasing and moire, but it is still seem much better than the previous Canon. What is sad is that this camera beyond any fanboism etc. seems to be at least on par to the 5dmark3 and is receiving 1/4 the coverage. Lets hope the competition is high so that Panasonic won't be able just to sit on the gh3 spec.

• @danyyyel @rigs

Let's not to make it into anti 5DMkIII topic :-) I am sure that it is very good camera. They have troubles with sensor reading and rescaling, but I doubt that this is an error. More probable is that full frame sensor still can't fully sustain full readout.
    Nikon seems better, so we hope that Sony will be also very good.

And in photo all this cameras are amazing.

• Bloom is pouring coolaid for the world on this. I wounder if he got a earfull from Canon and B&H with his first comments then BOOM He posts that the MK3 is great if you add sharpening in post. I pissed him off with my response in his vimeo post which I did not say he was sponsored to do the review on the MK3 but that he does have sponsors to keep happy and perhaps this was the reason for the great image you can now get if you sharpen it in post. Wow what a poor excuse. I was about to line up for a MK3 but not after what I have seen the last few days. Unless I can get a glass of that coolaid I'm stuck in the real world.

• It is comical seeing the Canon Pr in action lately. On one side the Fanboys convincing themself and others that the sharpness is better by using all type of sharpening vs not sharpen video from other cameras. An on the other, some well known blogger backtracking from there original thoughts. I would like to see those sharpness applied to the human face and beings, I can guarantee you that it will be ugly. It is easy to saturate or sharpen landscape, but try to do it to human beings.

• Hahahahaha have you got it too Vitaliyyyy :)

• I've had my EOS5 Mk III for 4 days now. Getting round to switching off all the automation and getting close to good results.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63040616@N03/sets/72157629645200453/

These were in very dull conditions -- have some better from this evening, will sort and get them up sometime.

Will be doing some video tests later this week.

• @Luc

First post, spec sheet, SDXC only. But UDMA capable CompactFlash can be very fast.

• Anybody knows if the 5D mk3 has UHS-I support? hahahahahaha