Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon 5D Mark III topic
  • 240 Replies sorted by
  • @kholi - I'll chew my shoe too. Red takes 55w to run raw with scarlet. No way Canon got that down to some tiny number to run on those batteries. Not going to have the "RAW" horsepower to do that with small batteries/and or heat for another couple of die shrinks.

• @plasmasmp

First, it is absolutely wrong view. Problem with Red is that it is far behind leading companies in chips and electronic design.
    Is it possible to make full RAW video storage in small cameras, like GF3?
    No problems, main thing that must be improved is called SD card controller. Plus, may be, some RAM added.
    Otherwise it is not more complex, it is, in fact, much simpler.

• @VK Is it possible to make full RAW video storage in small cameras, like GF3? ...it is not more complex, it is, in fact, much simpler.

If I were RED I would be very worried about Panasonic - Canon etc... But then again, 5DmkIII - yet another 'lets not listen to pro-sumer' problem... :-(

• Main video specs

• [1920 x 1080]: 30 fps / 25 fps / 24 fps; ALL-I - 685 MB/min (91Mbit/s), IPB 235MB /min (32Mbit/s)
    • [1280 x 720]: 60 fps / 50 fps; ALL-I - 610 MB/min (81Mbit/s), IPB 205MB /min (27Mbit/s)
    • [640 x 480]: 30 fps / 25 fps; IPB - 78MB/min (10Mbit/s)

If the recording time reaches 29 min. 59 sec., the movie shooting stops automatically.
    Movie shooting does not stop when the file size reaches 4GB.
    Clear and uncompressed HDMI output is absent

• I recalculated all bitrates, as marketers again worked to make them look better :-)

• ...not really that excited about it.

• So, Intra for £3k...at first glance, underwhelming.

If they've fixed the down sampling then it starts to look a little better. I would have expected more at this price point, plus how long folk have been anticipating it, and remaining one step ahead of Nikon.

I'll be very interested to see what Sony come up with next, as they've been holding their cards tight to their chest.

• Canon really wants people to buy the sony FS-1000 don't they...

• @itimjim

It is very risky period.
    Canon is doing only thing they could. They must not show crowd that days of DSLRs are counted.
    And worse, they must not show simple fact that all lines of lenses will require total change.

• Lame, Canon. I mean, we have to wait for competent shooters to test it and see how it stacks up, but right now from where I'm sitting I'm happy to keep my 5DmkII and GH2.

• 91 Mbps for 1080 using ALL-I is good. What this mean is that if there is a ML hack (or someone else, if you know what I mean :-) eventually, the codec would allow GH2 style tweaking.

• Bummer about the lack of clean HDMI though.

• I like this post from the man himself who caused the original online dust-up

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2012/03/01/canon-5d-mkiii-my-thoughts/

I love how he pretty much says what we know without directly saying it- it still is missing key features it really should have by now...

Conclusion: it's nice, but check out the C300 or the future EOS Cinema line, keep what you got, or compare to Nikon!

I like the honesty!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Main video specs

Do these bit rates include PCM audio, too? Then we need to subtract ~1.5 Mbit/s from those numbers. Insignificant, perhaps, but still . . .

• Do these bit rates include PCM audio, too

Yep, of course.

• @alcomposer "If I were RED I would be very worried about Panasonic - Canon etc..." They are, or why do you think they gave up on the 3K for 3K U$ Scarlet? Took the only way out: upwards.

This Canon is not going to scare Scarlet-X. BTW, they are calling their cameras DSMC (Digital Stills and Motion Camera). And no way I'll invest into any mirror camera again with all those great tiny hi-res screens coming up. I sold my 5D MII for the GH2 and a nice bunch of vintage lenses the day VK hacked it. Why build complex mechanics with a large flange distance when you can go all electronics? It's cheaper and superior, for motion in particular.

VK is right (of course) regarding RED – small company they are – being behind in electronics. But the big corporations are giving us all the miracles sitting in their labs in very small steps, so we buy a new camera every year… BTW, they do this to everybody: remember the F23 when Sony said 2/3 is good for the movies? There goes a quarter million. Then comes the F35, another quarter million. At lest the F65 is cheaper. You need to be very fast to make that much money in time. RED, OTOH, is taking their 'prototypes' back for a full refund after 3 years.

I don't see anything like a Scarlet-X coming from Panasonic or Canon or Sony this year or the next.

So, who can make his/her money from it, go for a Scarlet or even Epic. For the others (same for me with my privately owned camera) go GH2 until something really better is coming.

• Although the specs on the 5DM3 appear incremental, I think they are significant. Bitrates, recording times, and audio appeal to my immediate purposes, and perhaps timecode, future features and ML will be useful. Apparently there are internal improvements, too, which I don't really fathom, but as a video shooter the consumer specs are decent.

I think Canon was wise to not overshadow their other products by putting everything into the 5DM3, and I don't see the Nikon D800 as a threat since 5DM2 users, with all their EF lenses, will likely migrate to the logical path of 5DM3. Of course, I won't buy any of this new stuff right away since I'm OK with Panasonic and Vitaliy hacks. Furthermore, I often shoot continuously, so I don't like 30 minute limits, although that's a huge improvement over 12 minutes.

• Considering all the rush which was made about this camera before release its not a big change against the 5Dm2. All in all - only addition to video is that it does not stop recording after 4GB... bitrates etc - you can still have that with Magic lantern these days on older DSLR's so I don't count this as any plus. No even mentioning the absence of 50p... of which a cheap Sony NEX5n is capable. Another fail from Canon...

• 91mbs AVC Intra for 25p is very enticing, though I may as well buy a HyperDeck Shuttle 2 I think.

• "" I may as well buy a HyperDeck Shuttle 2 I think."

Are you sure that HDMI out is clean? If not, Hyperdeck Shuttle is unusable

• Continuing what made the 5D Mark II so popular... The camera compresses video as either I-frame-only or as IPB, for two variations of the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec