Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon 5D Mark III topic
  • 240 Replies sorted by
  • I mean instead of a 5D3, getting a HyperDeck Shuttle 2 for my GH2 etc etc.

In any case the Digic 5+ is apparently 17 times faster than the Digic IV (5D II), and Canon did say somewhere that the 5D II is powerful enough to handle 1080p60.

That is a tremendous amount of potential that will go untapped (out of the box) according to the specs.

• Yes, but who cares if the Digic 5 is faster if they didn't include the 50/60p mode? Look at the Nikon, uncompressed HDMI, AF, etc....

Canon did a great 5Dm2 4 years ago - since then, they are sleeping and others not only catch up, but got in front..

It obviously is a great still camera though.

• What's wrong with them, no uncompressed 1080p samples. On the other hand I am sure that there will be tons by the end of the month.

• One year ago I was torn between two options: Buying the 5D Mark II, a professional stills camera that shot beautiful video sadly plagued with serious issues or go the GH2 route, a tiny but decent stills camera that shot video sometimes not as beautiful out of the box but much less problematic. Finally I went the GH2 route because I couldn’t deal with moire an aliasing (the perceived resolution didn’t bother me that much) and I’m glad I did: The GH2 (specially the hacked one) is one hell of a movie camera and I do mostly fine-art and street photography so the RAW files from the camera with a little time in post are good enough 95% of the time.

But for those with a hybrid approach who also need a professional stills camera, I can see this 5D Mark III as a really enticing machine. Also the gentle highlight roll-off and superior dynamic range without the damn moire and aliasing issues are enough to make this an interesting filmmaking device.

• "Yes, but who cares if the Digic 5 is faster if they didn't include the 50/60p mode? Look at the Nikon, uncompressed HDMI, AF, etc...."

Does make a very large difference in terms of skew and artifacts. Clearly it will be a much cleaner output, though not perfect.

I think all in all it would be a worthy update for a professional, especially considering that the resale value of the 5D2 is not going to drop as much in price as the last time.

• the movie samples speak for them self : http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dmk3/

especially mario&nette

• @cinemon I don’t see anything really special in those videos compared with the things cheaper cameras are capable of.

edit: Mmm, i sounded a bit harsh, I was talking about IQ mostly.

• No HDMI output. Definitely it's no an option to consider

• Not bad, Intra frame ;-) No HDMI out bit of a bomb. Still its a good camera/HDSLR at full frame. I'll probably get one!

• Without HDMI available, recording time is limited to 29' 59''. Its not an live recordings option also...

• @Bueller: Actually I got it wrong.. 51 times more powerful than the Digic 4 (apparently).

A lot more power to play with for the magic lantern guys. It's enough to replace codecs/up the rate massively, run 4:4:4, high bit depths (14-bit from RAW - greater than what you can put over HDMI if someone wanted that), or run 4K even etc. If the memory bus could handle the rates that is, and of course if they could ever get that in depth with ML. Wouldn't hold my breath on it happening, but the hardware potential is all there now.

Here's hoping at the very least Canon have put in a proper down scaling filter instead of skipping.

It's also nice to have a greater than S35 sensor.. all those still manual lenses can be used to their full potential and provide their full FOV.

I haven't seen anything on the Canon site about HDMI, just others saying there's none.

• I have a 5D Mark II, ...I can say only BS...

• Way too little bang for too much buck. Underwhelmed. The 5DX will be considerably more megapriced with the megapixels between MkIII and 1DX price. I think we can make that conclusion before its released.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"And worse, they must not show simple fact that all lines of lenses will require total change."

I liked your interpretation.
    Could you please expand on what you mean here? Lenses are too bulky and would have to shrink in size as the 5dm3 body did? Because the world of gear is diminishing, right

• 1700 bucks more and all I got was a lousy headphone jack and 17minutes longer to record..... There's your t-shirt...

GH2 FTW!

• @GOODEMPIRE

I mean that lenses require really fast and quiet autofocus specially designed for contrast focusing approach.
    Same for aperture, as aperture in most Canon lenses is not made for video in any way.
    Plus you need'll need video oriented OIS.

All Nikon F, Pentas K, Canon EF lenses will vanish in their current form as lenses for mainstream market.
    Generally, it is only reason why all this companies are so careful with their mirrorless approach.

• Whos seems like they raised the price but didn't raise the bar. After all this waiting it really has become a disappointment.

Glad I jumped on the Gh2 bandwagon instead of waiting for this overpriced camera.

I have a feeling the GH3 will blow this out of the water. (in video mode).

Still the Gh2 with the hack is so good I think there is no reason to even start looking for a newer camera.

Btw Canon crippled the hdmi out (720P only) and you can't remove all the menus off of it.

• I love Kai's videos -thx VK

• Digital Rev.

• Not bad. Considering a few years back I bought a simple video camera with 1/3" chips for that much, I mean, you get much value today if you want to film. If moire and aliassing is gone, you've got your cheap production camera with no worry if picture has artifacts. It's the price of a Canon XF100. But I have earlier mentioned that prices of these VDSLR were going up, because they are not going to give you perfect picture quality for cheap (that's why even at this price point no clean hdmi out). At least it's intra. I believe Panasonic will also step up price, although remain lower than Canon.

• And the All-Intra encoder seems to be VBR, not CBR.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I know you have worked hard to make the GH2 do wonders in video quality, but have you consider hacking this new camera? (please forgive if the question has been asked) I personally love the fact that your hack is using the update and I don't have to have the hack loaded on a SD card. For some reason people tend to like the canon look (maybe colors) more than the gh2, I'm just saying a hacked Mark III would be a beast. I'm a happy owner of 2 GH2's but man the headphone input is such a pain for me as most of my work is interviews and weddings. VK I can't thank you enough for all your work.

• With all this short-changing canon's been doing... the 5DIII better have like 14 stops of DR...

Only a few people find moire such a big problem that they're willing to spend $3500 for the 5DIII. The biggest chunk of DSLR customers aren't really going to care. They'll be fine with the regular 5DII or 7D as is. Canon is not really enticing us to upgrade. Seriously no 60fps in 1080p? I feel like punching somebody from canon...