Personal View site logo
Tascam DR-100 MK II
  • 55 Replies sorted by
  • @brianluce, Don't have the Mk1- so can't tell... but the level is nice and hot...

• I have the old DR100, does the Mark II record a hotter signal? I've always got my level dials way high for dialog, presumably this is because of DR100 music roots.

• @digitaldooda,

Make sure that you use NiMH batteries. Alkaline are useless for pro gear as they contain next to no power. I have used the MKII for over an hour with power to spare off 2500mah NiMH. They are also VERY cheap!

Great to have the built in backup power available!

So power up!

• Just got delivery of my Tascam DR100 mkII yesterday. Played with it a little. Need to get to know it very soon as I will be using it on 2 shoots latter in the week along with a rented Sound Devices 744T. Will report back after the week end. So far the only down side is it eats up AA batteries with phantom power on (Duracel alkaline). About 10 min of recording time on just the AAs. Not an official test though. Hadn't charged the rechargeable so don't know about that one yet.

• @apriori yes, this is one reason that I'm very keen on the MK2. The ability to keep the signal digital from mixer to recorder is awesome.

• The DR-100mkii has a major selling point which hasn't been mentioned: S/PDIF input. Prior to the DR-100mkii, the most affordable digital recorder with an S/PDIF input was the Marantz PMD661, which retails for double the price of the Tascam at $600.

Although 2-track recording may be a significant limitation (2 channels are fine for my needs), I think the ability to receive external digital signals outweighs it. I plan to connect a Sound Devices USBPre2 with my DR-100mkii via S/PDIF output, which should allow for degradation-free recording at $950 total (Tascam - $300, SD - $650).

If you like the idea of using a higher end device as the front-end of your recording chain, the DR-100mkii offers incredible value. If you're looking for an all-purpose field recording device, the Oly LS-100 or Roland R-26 look great, and may be better options. (I can't attest to the DR-100mkiis performance as a stand-alone recording solution quite yet, as I'll be using it for the first time on a shoot this weekend.)

• Yes. The Olympus LS100. I have not confirmed this as yet. Tascam's literature suggests the DR100MkII can record from both the internal mics in stereo and the XLR/Line inputs at the same time either in stereo with 2 mics or mono fed to both channels. Is this so? The Roland R26 can record to 6 mono channels or 3 stereo according to their add literature. All 4 internals and the XLR/Lines simultaneously. I will report more info on the Olympus as it becomes available.

• @digitaldooda,

You talking about the Olympus...? I am aware of this limitation with the MKII.

• Could be except it supposedly only captures 2 channels at a time. It cannot record both XLR audio signals and the built-in condenser mic signals at the same time.

• You have the new olympus LS-100 in between the Tascam and the roland r26. It seems to be quite good for $ 400.

• Hey @digitaldooda,

I currently have the MK11. Can say that it is a VERY good unit. The pre-amps are VERY clean, and the unit is very well made.

Personally I use this for NTG3, and also for recording line out of theatre / music shows. Works very well on both occasions.

Let me know if you have any questions...

• I am in the market for a field recorder and am very interested in this unit. Any one have any experience with the DR100mk2 yet? It sells for $299us at Sweetwater, 2 year warranty and free shipping. The Roland R26 sells for $499, 2 year warranty free shipping. The Tascam is a 2 stereo track recorder the Roland is 6 track, 3 stereo.

• @brianluce wow. Is that with included (Li-Ion) battery? Or combined with both Li-Ion and AA batteries?

Any opinions on using the NTG 3 mic with Tascam DR100/DR100 mk2?
    (sorry if I'm a little offtopic here, but I hope others also are interested to see what equipment/shotguns mics that suits there recorders well)
  • I get about 3 to 4 hours off phantom power. That's pretty good. Batteries are cheap too.

• Dispite not beeing 4 channel, I still have hopes for this recorder. But what do you guys think of pairing this DR100 mk2 with a Røde NTG 3 shotgun?

The NTG3 must have phantom power, and in my limited experience with the first DR100, using Phantom seemed to drain the batteries pretty fast. On the Roland R-26 it's possible to specify phantom on/off indicidually on the two XLR inputs. I hope this is possible on the DR100 mk2, because the other XLR will connect to a Sennheiser G3 (doesn't need phantom).

So...
    - DR-100 mk2
    - Røde NTG3 (used NTG2 before with original DR100, but that was not a good combination, from what I've heard the NTG 3 have lower noise floor, and requires less from the preamp)
    (And a Sennheiser G3 from time to time)

... Does it seem like a reasonable sound setup for documentary production?
  • sad.com/4tracks
  • @phenixone > it doesn't have 4 track.
  • Thanks for the heads up Vitaliy! I really like the Tascam DR100 when I need a mic-xlr-DR100-padded cable-DSLR signal chain for dual sound. I will likely be picking up this new version when it comes out.

This is a great list of recorders by Signal/Noise Ratios http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm some surprise performers in there like the Sony PCM-M10 and Roland R09HR.
  • I thought the DR-100 Mk I had -good- pre-amps, ie: better than the DR-40 which is the same as one of the lower models, and better than the Zoom H4n
  • If this thing has 4 tracks, then it is mine otherwise, no... (I need it for lavalieres)
  • @Athiril
    All recorders use good AD converters.
    Problem lies in microphone preamps.
    DR100 have low gain and quite noise preamp.
  • Tascam's website states for the DR-100:
    "High-performance microphone preamp with 60dB of gain
    Premium AKM Audio4Pro™ A/D converters with over 100dB signal to noise ratio"

While the DR-100 Mk II states:
    "S/N Ratio 92dB or more(XLR LINE 1 IN→LINE OUT, Fs44.1kHz, +24dBu input, JEITA)"

Wouldn't the original DR-100 be better in noise then? Because it looks like the A/D converter is better in the original just going from the specs?

Was looking at getting the DR-100.. 4 channels would be awesome though. But B&H says its a 2 channel recorder, not 4.

edit: Another section of the page says "The section AD / DA will use the electronics IC ※ Asahi Audio4pro ™ brand beyond the S / N 100dB", so looks promising.
  • Damn, I just buy the TASCAM DR-100 two months ago.. I wish It released earlier ;(

Anyone had try this? Is it big improvement from the old model?
  • external and internal simultaneously would be great :)