Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood and @reckless cool, I noticed the same thing, this matrix is way too soft for what I'm doing at the moment so I switched back to using 9b and @bkmcwd gop3zilla. Nick you said its okay just to switch the new matrix off, I didn't do that and went back to a pre-matrix quantum cos I figured that maybe everything else is balanced against the new matrix. As you say its okay is there a dramatic difference between 9b and X Orion with the matrix off ? I'll test it again once you've tweaked the matrix back a bit towards the panny default.

• quick questions, I'm currently using hacked 1.0, before I can update to the latest hacked 1.1, do I need to upgrade the camera to original 1.1 first then update again to the hacked 1.1, or can i just go immediately from hacked 1.0 to hacked 1.1?

thanks

• @driftwood, I appreciate the info, sounds like the future releases will probably be what I am looking for.

• @driftwood, I appreciate the info, sounds like the future releases will probably be what I am looking for.

• @1234pub I'm interested to 25p HBR mode too. From your test it seems there are no differences..

• @Reckless Its the AVC-Intra matrix - scaled by myself. I have my sources! I am looking at bringing up the attack a bit more in a future release... For now if you want, uncheck/switch off the scaled matrixes and use Panny's stock if you prefer your own lens softening.

• Panasonic lumix 50mm aperture 2.8 speed1/50 400iso mode HBR 25p

1. Driftwood quantum X v3

2. firmware panasonic

3. sanity

Driftwood_Spec.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 270K
    Panasonic_Spec.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 273K
    Sanity_Spec.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 271K
  • @driftwood, I have been doing some testing with your Orion settings and they are looking great solid clear skies. However the AVC-I matrix seems to produce a softer image witch with my panny lens looks very filmic now and not videoish but I shoot predominantly with Canon fd and NIKON non-ai lenses and to my eyes with these lenses it seems too soft like I am losing detail. I am not here to complain I would just like to know where you found info about the matrices and what I need to adjust to try and mod your settings to try to come up with something that will fit my tastes a little better. -Thanks-

• @Meierhans Brilliant tests, thank you. @Butt Love those blues. Nice one.

• new QuantumX v3Rocket, Vers. 25.02.2012, 16.30

• @LumixUser Good luck mate. Hope you win. :-)

• @islanders66 try either changing Quantiser (initial Q and Q 1080/720 modes to 2 up -e.g. 18) or AQ = 3 or 2 or 1 - depending on Rocket or Orion first. Or lowering frame limits and divide by 8 and insert rounded result in FB2 (50fps or 60fps)

• Its a zip file.

Some comment on the neat video settings: The reduction amounts are very strong, pretty much the max. Just checked with real footage. Make sure to dial them down to your needs.

• @Meierhans on your file I do not understand this language? ;-)

" Qcìåï~Ž;ß±§ ¸Ù{rÃÚá¥Jà;)sØ. Ï»(¯"bó’αŸ@à´øZǸ²|¬úœap|Ô Î¯ 0³^ñú)QèDßO€1ErJò!f¥ô¤n¨…¹,€Þ¤  ôÄ#éÍè8êeo§9kùǯsÜn†ýØdÕľܗŠ<xZ|Æ«Àg¯,™Zk5ôÛNÐ1”ái5ÞÕ0£I÷抿)A=Œ×â!ÖÍá0®Sö=J2†Ðƒ>C£7[¶Ûìœð‰…½Â»­”e3~öìw€Ù×ÑÌÿ!‹^;êDèÜ=öÿ¼íº\1þ^žPSé\©ø†ýq±²-?tŸÊ&ddñÕ©oõ„5¢š¦VIµ+.DLA³xóLÈtá1Äèr¹„¥éЃ­rƒÒÑà$Ë&üGþQ°yMvpÑ«&é$‰9Ëä7hÆ™]:ôôrªÎÝŽäCá¢ÓNÄc¢¨žŽ'Ý™åÉÐçzÌ‹â ©-̏<sWÖNDj6£Í·q)ùƒ>Ë÷ä¨s(6ùYðK…!2*‚ʟж¸Ã"ú14¯ "

• What is the best approach to lowering the bitrate for 720FSH? Increase the quantizer, change GOP, or lower the bitrate? Or is this just not a good idea and I should use another settings patch?

thanks in advance!

• Thank you very much Mr Driftwood! My opinion about your new patch.. ehm... your new SETTINGS show in the picture below. ;)

I did take the time to create some custom noise profiles with Neats own calibration target (not scientificly nor perfect). They are useful for those who record with Orion, -2, -2, -1, -2, non-ETC, proper white balance, shutter 50 (dunno if shutter matters). If they are to strong for your taste try lowering the noise reduction Y component first. Iso 160 - 640 work out very well and can be mixed after denoising. 1250-2500 still useable for some tasks.

erotik-shop-orion.gif
    400 x 400 - 50K
    Quantum_v4_Orion_noise_profiles.zip
  • People, Just use SanDisk Extreme HD Video 8gb and you have absolutely no problem! XD Orion working perfectly! costs 27.90e in local store here in Finland ;)

• Who did already compare Rocket V3 with Orion?

My first impressions are that Orion doesn't last 50 seconds on my Deathchart on a Transcend 32GB Class 10, v3 Rocket does and they have equal bitrate (my motion death chart results in 100% adaptive bitrate usage). Sandisk 8GB Class 10 30mb/sec and 64GB 95mb/sec have no problems with both settings. Both are spanning on the 64GB 95mb Sandisk card. This is with Olympus 45mm 1.8 lens (sharp!) with AF off.

@driftwood What was your goal with above settings? Do you think Orion wastes a lot of bandwith or does it really put it to good use? I am trying to decide which setting (Orion or Rocket v3) will be my base setting.

• Wouldn't call it more noisy – IMHO the noise is just grainier, not as fine. This is to be expected with the somewhat lower bitrate.

• Hello Nick, Vitaly, Lee and other!!! I'm on the forum for a long time but i don't post so much... So much more to learn than to teach about encoder... ( english too, you know!)

Just to say thanks for your very serious work, and overall for this active and informative forum.

Hey Nick, HBR 25P is getting better since ROCKET and ORION... Now not so far from 24P... more noisy i think .

• @driftwood you stated "Take two or three settings (on separate sd cards) with you on a shoot - that way you can get everything right.".

I definitely agree with you but wood add "and one extra fully charged battery to use when switching firmware" just to make the procedure as safe as possible.

I have tested Rocket v3 and that will stay on one of my sd card. The other two will have my more "standard" settings found in "Basic Ptool settings for end users".

For those having GH2 and GF2 or some other Pana like GH1. Put the GH2 firmware on your GF2 sd cards and the GF2 firmware on the GH2 sd card. This way the risk to start an update by mistake gets lower.

• Its very very very good ;-) !!! Are YOU pleased with it? thats more important

• @driftwood what abt the test i uploaded sir?

• @Zaven13 Did I say 60? Uh, mustabeen tired. Well Im talking about 1080i50 (PAL) shares 24p settings so if we're doing an overall patch, you can never split the GOP between 24p and 1080i, but yes, for NTSC users its easier, 1080i60/+HBR on 30p GOP is on separate settings.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions