Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @towi 24L is deliberately set off to do that.
    Can someone trial some real world filming on 720 and 1080i. Ive managed daytime stuff for both with much longer recordings on bushes etc... than peope are reporting. Trying to find peak limits.
  • @driftwood

Sorry if this has been answered before, I simply can't find the answer anywhere:

In what situation would there be no clear advantage of using the H setting rather than the L? Could you please provide a quick and dirty list of where the advantages of using H would be noticeable? i.e. shot of someone waterskiing on a bright summer day from the back of a boat, low light, etc. I'm just not clear on how to put the settings to most efficient use. Thanks in advance.
  • Nothing is clear cut yet as there is a lot of testing still to be done, the i frames in the H setting produce bigger picture sizes and in the lab graph better. To the human eye possibly not a lot. In the shadows you can lift more detail out in post.
  • Well put driftwood
  • @driftwood

OK, lets say I was shooting indoors with the only movement being one or two characters. If my default setting was 24L in your opinion when would it be advisable to switch to H? For master shots? and keep mediums, close-ups and OTS - where there would be less screen space for shadows - in L mode?

I hope I am not coming across as too persistent on this issue. I do have a Sandisk 64 SDXC card but when filming narrative material it is very easy to eat up 54 minutes. Due to the time necessary to dump the card's content onto a hard drive (and from what I've seen the 95MB/s 64GB Sandisk card will transfer at a top speed of 38MB/s on USB 3 = aprox 28mins when full) I would rather not record information that is imperceptible.

Thanks again for your time and awesome work :)
  • Forgot to mention: I would be happy to do a few hours of testing but I do not know what conditions are best for this purpose. If someone could provide a general list of what would really put a strain on the patches I would definitely participate more actively in the development process.
  • @spacewig

You just answered you own question: "I would rather not record information that is imperceptible."

If you can not see the difference, you only need to satisfy yourself.

Driftwood's 24L setting is better than stock. You can't go wrong.
    Use the 24L for event and docs.
    Use 24H for higher production cuts where quality needs to be its best.

• @spacewig If you pick up a second card, you can have one offloading to the computer while you shoot on the other, and keep rotating between them throughout the day.
  • @proaudio4
    Understood. But I can't help but feel I just lack the experience for now to see the difference. Given your name, I'll make the presumption that you'll understand the following analogy. Band wants to record drums for rock album. You could use the pres in your SSL 9K. Or you could roll out the sidecar of 1073's. You know there's a difference, and it's audible, but most people would never hear it. However, if you had to chose between running the kick or a bass through one 1073 you'd chose the kick and probably wouldn't even think about it if you were recording a casio keyboard through an SM58. The comparisons are strictly for the sake of illustration. I just thought that those in the know could impart their expertise by offering advice on when the gains made by the higher setting are worth the cost in bandwidth, when it is a consideration. (and if you own an SSL and some 1073's, well it's xmas all year round...)

@Strangways
    That's the most obvious solution but one that costs $200... I was hoping to stretch the one I have now and use the savings for other gear.
  • @spacewig - My advice would be to use the H setting if you can, and to try to create a workflow around that. H is much, much nicer than L in my opinion, and if you ever want to grade your footage later, I think you'll really appreciate having the additional latitude. I use L for documentary work as @proaudio4 said, and H for just about anything else if I can.
  • @spacewig, trust your eyes. If it looks good to you, it is good. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. We should not all be chasing gophers.
  • As I said I low level formatted my SanDisk 30 MB/s card and tried again if the Quantum v6 24L setting would span and it did.
  • deleted, missed a page ...
  • The Sandisk cards are 200 EURO in Europe. No way I am paying that for it. I can buy 7 Transcend Class 10 32GB cards for the price of one new Sandisk card. Prices will come down for sure, I think 120 EURO is about right for what you get (64GB, high speed, spanning). As mentioned by others: I also think 100M is perfect for interviews and documentary work and B-roll can easily be shot in H mode.
  • Thanks all for your advice.
  • @driftwood

I'll be testing Quantum 6 over the next two days. I can already report that the 24L does not span on a Sandisk Extreme "HD Video" 30 MBs card.

Question: Is it possible that the 24H setting will span on a Sandisk 64GB SDXC "95 MBs" card?

I'll say it many more times -- thank you.
  • Just used AQUAMOTION' ver 2.
    24p with setting to H was oke, no problems.
    but 720p 50fps did give a screen with, card to slow.
    i have the Scandisk extreme pro uhs-1, 8 gb 45mb card.
    The file was just 0bites in windows.
    i was trying to rescue the file with RescuePRO Deluxe demo http://www.lc-tech.com/pc/sandisk-rescuepro-and-rescuepro-deluxe/
    But no results :-(

to bad, still have the Sandisk Extreme HD Video 32 GB 30mb in order.
    and will try it then again....
  • Terraquoke works fine, no problems ad all
    panning the cam fast from left to right, and zoom in/out
    Lot off motion...
    720p 50fps = 33mb
    1080 24p H setting gives 44mb
    1080 24p L setting gives 33mb

Oké thx, i have a start now from where i can go further....
  • Hey,
    i'm a New User of the gh2. I have two questions :

When i Set the Iso in 24 Cinema Mode to Maybe 640, the Camera says me during the Record "autoiso" is this normal?

And my Second question is about Correct exposure, should i Film through the searcher or with the LCD? and how can i judge the right exposure? in my Tests the LCD picture was fine but the final file was very underexposed!

Thx for your help ;)
  • @cinemon
    1/ normal
    2/ viewfinder is better for me, much easier to focus
    3/
    Try to find "Constant Preview" in menu, check if is it On
    Try to use M mode
  • @tobnyot

What utility do you use for formatting?
  • @jard667

Hi. Should "Constant preview" mode be identical to "recording"-mode? I can't see any difference w/o "constant preview" in non-rec.state. it is always in "live mode" a guess. Could this because hacked firmware?
  • L not spanning on 30MB/s Sandisk 32gb, even after a low level format.

Image looks good, though!
  • this are two videos that i captured...is there everything normal? i have seen so much driftwood hacked videos whos look like film...but mine looked like a cheap camcorder...

• Also of course it has A LOT to do with composition, lighting, set, scenery, wardrobe and color correction. Expect no magic there without effort. ;)
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions