Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @Driftwood
    Thank you very much once again for your great dedication and hard work. This is the results of my first test about your Quantum v6 Beta:
    1080p24 H Mode: Spanning correctly (Sandisk 95 MB/s), similar quality than previous versions.
    24 L Mode: Spanning (not checked yet) similar quality than previous versions
    1080i50: Similar quality than previous releases
    720p50: "" "" ""
    108024p (variable 80%): Works fine in L Mode (checked about 3 minutes)
    108024p (variable 80%). Break in H mode (at 8/9 secs)

This results are subjectives, due are based in night shots (in very low light conditions)
  • @csync Try Vimeo if you want to actually share the .mts (it will upload to their site and you can allow viewers to download the original file. It may not actually play back in Vimeo-s web player, though.) Vimeo+ is not horribly expensive, and IMO is worth it for the quality improvement over YouTube (as well as the absence of links to "camera tests" by imbeciles).

*edit* alternatively, dropbox.
  • Swiss_Boy very nice.
  • B3Guy
    In Spanish your comment about camera test by imbeciles, could consider thay you are un gran gilipollas o "tontolculo".
  • @paglez Thanks for the intial feedback.
  • Its Quantum v2 with higher frame limit, tuned bitrate ;-)

Quantum v6 1080p24H is bitrate=147M (7M less than Q2 but you won't notice)
    However, buffer=148846 (ie much higher buffer)!

The L setting is just about 100M and primed - I want to see how this gets on with ISO tests in particularly.
    The 1080i and 720p 60 settings are 100M :-)

I have been analysing AVC INTRA 100. You may have guessed.
  • I've been switching between Aquamotion v2 and SeAQuake, using Sandisk 35MB/s cards. Will the 24H and 24L settings of Quantum v6 replace the need to switch between them for me? I know 24H won't span on my cards, but will it work for 4 or so minutes like SeAQuake?
  • @strangeways shoud be fine for all
  • @B3Guy
    Since you are such a nice guy calling people imbeciles, here is how you can download videos from YouTube. By the way, I actually put the link to the video in my post here but somehow it got replaced with the video thumbnail. Regardless, if you go to YouTube.come and search for example on video I posted (GH2 test foggy day), it is the first search result you see. Click on the video and the link shows up in the URL area. Right click and copy the URL. There is a free program called YouTube Downloader. Download and install that program. After you open the program, copy the URL into the program URL area and click download button. You get an MP4 copy of the video on your hard drive.
    Make a new year's resolution to be more respectful in the future.
  • @csync
    Excellent work here!
    Also, I was wondered the same thing regarding white balancing.

I've noticed while using the "daylight" WB setting the RED channel is noiser than the BLUE. Also, the RED can clip early and makes REDs look like shit and highlights look fucking nasty.
  • @driftwood

Quantum v6 BETA !

Thank you!
  • @driftwood

Thanks mate! :-)
    And your new patch is amazing!
    I also tried immediately, without any problems could span at 24H with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB.
    You are the man!

BTW, I have some questions.
    As you said, a few weeks, with the streameye, I have observed macroblocks and qp.
    "Setting the frame size is about 800k and larger max mb size" and, "setting the frame size is about 1M max mb size slight smaller" I've compared.
    (Here, ignoring the difference between the GOP, just think about the I-frame.)
    Is the idea "other mbs will be small size relatively if max mb size is large in the limited frame size" right?
    After that, That is, since the one where frame size is larger becomes average as a whole and mb size becomes large, image quality is good?

Attached streameye is the result of my shooting the scene in the same room using your Quantum 6 Beta, and AQ4 and AQ2 of me, respectively.
    What should just look at this result how, or I do not understand.
    Do I hear that after all, AQ2 with the largest frame size is the best as for image quality?

*These are all shot panning in the same room.
    Quantum 6 Beta
    http://www.raitank.jp/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/juk38-QT6_room_800_sp.JPG
    AQ4
    http://www.raitank.jp/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/sm689-AQ4_room_800_sp.JPG
    AQ2
    http://www.raitank.jp/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/91887-AQ2_room_800_sp.JPG
    streameye.JPG
    2022 x 847 - 322K
  • @bkmcwd Yes, the mere fact its INTRA and every frame is sustaining hi quality, large picture size, quality mbs and Q and 'binning' less I feel its better, and looks better to me. The longer GOP patches can also look good and require less space but are cosmetically harder to edit and prone to more problems if the GOP gets corrupted. They actually take longer to decode and manipulate in the NLE. You can't 'cut' on a predictive frame, unlike INTRA.
    Your own GOP3 AQ findings are interesting. But a different range of matrices will come into effect between the AQ settings and you need to analyse both macroblock sizes and Quantisation. Your perfect AQ quest depends on the detail/scenery/hi&low frequencies/movement as to what you prefer works for the subject matter.
    For 720p I prefer AQ1 with a good bitrate/buffer ratio - a good balance for which is, after all, about slow motion quality.
  • @driftwood

Thanks for your reply.
    Indeed, I have understood little by little, thanks to you. :-)
    Do you also think "AQ4 is not not necessarily the best absolutely"?
    Since 3GOP aims at stealing the show of Intra and Long GOP as you also know, especially exquisite balance is important.
    Thanks always!
  • Strange problem with hi-ISO. Maybe it is known bug, but I cannot find answer:
    Patch SpanMyBitchUp (or Aquamition2)
    1/ ISO3200, 24H
    recording short clip, then i push Play button. Everything is OK

2/ ISO6400-12800, 24H
    recording short clip, then i push Play button.
    Message "This motion image cannot be played".
    In this moment i cannot record any more. I must turn off-on GH2. Then I can play that clip or record new one.

Is it normal behaviour? I had no similar problems with CB44

• Apologies. I just mean there truly is a lot of junk on YouTube, not necessarily just camera stuff, but in general, there is a lot of pretty worthless stuff. Vimeo at least does not throw it up in a suggestion list alongside your video. in retrospect "imbecile" was too strong, sorry.

Yes, you can pull videos from YouTube, I know. But Vimeo will let you upload (and let us download) straight from camera .mts files, which will retain detail compared an mp4 ripped from YouTube.
  • @driftwood

Thanks a lot for your awesome work. I‘ve been following this forum since the release of ptools for gh2 and I really enjoy reading about all the technical aspects behind filmmaking. Great learning in this forum.

@all
    The attached movie is recorded with the quantum 2, 24H, ISO 640, Smooth -2,-2,0,-2
    Graded in FCPX.

• A few clips from the show
  • @ driftwood on quantum v6 bt- so far so good on 24h and 720/60p with sandisk 30mb.
  • @tody What kind of bitrate do you get with the V6 on 24H 24p?
  • sandisk 30mb
    doing my usual pan and zoom test with 14-140 lens and af on... both 1080i/60 and 720p/60 failed with card write error within a few seconds. 24p great as usual.

24p did not span on either high or low settings.
  • @driftwood

The change between V2 and V6 for 24H, would it be anything that anyone could see? What's the advantage or disadvantage? I don't have the cam with me right now so I can't test. =[
  • @khoi no clear advantage except a test of higher buffer. The betas won't neceesariy improve things. I need feedback for all types of tests.
    @chauncy coud you describe your pan & zoom tests in lighting/subject matter detail? Could you post any mts files to me via dropbox?

Thanks
  • @driftwood

I did a few tests with the new Quantum v6. I was especially interested in the 24L setting which I tested with the 300% speedup for timelapsing purposes.
    I used a SanDisk 16 GB 30 MB/s card and I didn't get it to span. I'm deep formatting the card right now and tomorrow I'll test another one of those cards to see if it's a faulty card.
    Shouldn't the 24L setting span?
  • @driftwood

re Quantum V6 on SanDisk Extreme 30MB/s (8GB) / shooting Codec stress chart:
    24H: works fine. iFrames consistently at 790K in Streamparser
    24H ETC: card speed error after a few seconds
    24L: camera records without isses. Streamparser shows iFrames starting with 780K but dropped to around 550K after 40 frames
    24L ETC: the same as 24L
    FSH/50i: again the same: iFrames dropped to around 375K (only the first frame is 570K)
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions