Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @svart
    I just started trying out Quantum this past weekend but think I might be able to answer your question, at least to some extent. Quantum is currently a beta patch that @Driftwood is working on. It is mean to have the best all around performance. The new additions to it are that it has a lower "L" setting for spanning and longer record times. Also, a lot of time has been put in to developing MJPEG settings. These MJPEG settings are being used for anamorphic adapters so that no stretching is needed in post. Hoped that helped. If I am mistaken in any of my info or left anything out, someone please do correct me.
  • I need a lil help. So the Aquamotion V2 has been perfect for the cards i use. I use Class 10 200x, i dont know if it is as good as the Sandisk cards and what not but Aquamotion works perfect on them. Question is, will the Quantum work with my cards or is it just too much? Aquamotion H mode is perfect so I think i can draw back to that if Quantum's H mode is too much.
  • @stanlymanly2 if aquamotion V2 works fine with your card you should use it till something new comes out. I switched from Quantum v5 to Aquamotion V2 because it wouldn't span on my cards and i couldn't playback on my camera. Now Aquamotion is great and so far i don't have any problems with it. Maybe just try Quantum and you will see if it works for you or not.
  • I keep getting asked so here is why. For detailed description about AVC INTRA look at this link from Panasonic where they outline their case for INTRA v Long GOP. Quantum is INTRA on 1080p24 and 1080i50 plus 720p50.
    ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/PBTS/papers/WP_AVC-Intra.pdf
  • hello firstly thank you very much for all this work, I'm a bit of a noob so i apologise if i'm doing something silly. I have been playing around with quantum beta 5. i did a film in the snow which I'll post later and at least to my eyes was wonderful. I just shot some stuff today and three shots in particular seemed to have a lot of noise, i was hoping to get some advice, maybe I am doing something wrong.

settings were 160iso smooth -2-2 0 +2 and looking at camera histogram exposure looked ok..

thanks again and I'll post the other film in the next few days
  • @driftwood
    I tested Quantum 5 with 60i and 60P and had problems with both. 60P failed after 5 seconds or so on a 16GB Sandisk 30M card. 1080 60i suffers from mosquito noise. 24H and 24L both ran fine.
  • @Ralph_B Thanks for the report. A new version of both are in the pipeline. I'm liking the higher bitrate/short GOP 720p60 and 60i for another reason... It's got nothing to do with your excellent Long Gop versions. However, I have to remind you mosquito noise can surface not just because its short gop.
    Mosquito noise generally happens around high frequency parts of the image like hard to softer edging.
    This happens when the DCT transformation attempts to rebuild the image after compression - and it can't rebuild discarded bits. Its here that I'm looking more into Quantisation factors to improve things.

The link http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/technology/technology.pdf explains Panasonic's theory why "Intra prediction predicts within the limits of a single frame, and has an advantage over inter-frame prediction in preventing the deterioration of prediction accuracy even for volatile movement".
  • @mrsquirrell, are you sure that isn't ISO 1600? I get the same noise at the higher ISOs, with the same horizontal bands that you see in that video. It seems that not everyone has this problem, which makes me think some sensors perform significantly better than others. Also, I've noticed it more at extreme temperatures, very cold, or after the camera has been running a while. I'm going to try to acquire another GH2 soon to see if some of my problems aren't just due to the specific camera I have.
  • @mrsquirrell Check your ISOs - be wary of the sometime occuring iso bug which you can read about in other threads. Try and perfect your exposure.
  • @driftwood

Sorry to be a pain... being an ETC fan I'd like to ask: do the gains and advancements in your patches trickle down to ETC or am I only seeing things that I want to see? It's hard to really test that, but I feel like between seaQuake and Quantum V2 I did see a noise improvement with ETC mode on.

Right now the threshold is like 800 ISO in lowlit situations. 400 can even be too noisy, and 200 is a severely low level to work at even with fast Super 16mm lenses. Do you think your latest patch will help with the noise levels at 400 ISO?

Is there anything that can be done to tame or adjust the noise for specifically working with ETC mode? Like a patch that JUST helps with the noise levels?

My earlier question didn't pertain to noise, just ETC mode crop function and custom sizes.
  • The extra noise in ETC mode is inherent in the way it is generating output pixels from a smaller number of input pixels (that capture less light, since you are using an aperture that's too small for that focal length and resolution). Encoder patch settings won't change that. At best, better encoder settings will make the encoder represent that noise more accurately. It is a good thing to represent noise accurately, because that noise looks better than compression noise, and you can model the noise more accurately and remove it more precisely with something like Neat Video.
  • @driftwood
    I just want you to know that the mosquito noise is real and is an issue you need to be aware of. I shot the same 60i scene with Quantum 5 and Sanity, and the mosquito noise is only present in the Quantum version.
  • LOL
    @mrsquirrell
    There's no way that was ISO160.
    If it was, you'd better send it back.
    That's at least ISO1600 !

Check your settings!' Turn all that auto shit off.

• @balazer

Right, so in essence it will effect the image overall. Just not by changing it, but getting as close to uncompressed from the encoder as possible. That's what I wanted to know/hear. I just hope there's something closer to what the non ETC mode looks like.

The Super 16mm Superspeed Zeiss lenses are dying to be put to use on this feature... and I want to use them so bad.
  • @mrsquirrell
    What recording mode did you use; 24H, 24L, 1080i60 or 720p60?
  • @kholi, at this point Driftwood's developments for 1080/24p are fairly minor tweaks. All of his 146-Mbps patch settings (Reaquainted, Aquarius, Seaquake, Quantum) will deliver superb quality. Go ahead and use your Super-16 lenses. I'd love to see what you do with them. The additional noise in ETC mode is an unavoidable consequence of using a smaller format's lens.

If you haven't tried already, see what kind of coverage you get from your lenses with ETC mode off. You might be able to get away with more modest cropping in post processing, instead of using ETC mode. (with a loss of resolution, sure, but hopefully still better than 720p)
  • @balazer

I don't disagree that it is what it is, I should have done a proper a and B test before I moved from seaQuake but I'll probably do one when I get back to Los Angeles. Just hoping for more because I'm in love with the S16+ETC+Zeiss look. Already done the duty, though, also discovered a lot more about the camera and post that's very helpful for narrative filmmakers. Will post about it on the blog soon.

My S16 Zeiss Superspeed set, starting with the 5.9/T2, could all be used with a 160 percent blow up and slight re-frame, it's just not a smart way to work for an entire feature film and you're right, there's resolution loss which isn't super pretty (but sharper than Canon footage... how strange is that?) ETC just looks better no matter the noise.

I don't mind the noise that I get now. We took it to a 2K Finishing Theater and the footage, with a chroma to luma noise "conversion", looks pretty amazing to my eyes. It's a different look, which is sick to know that I can get from one camera that isn't a RED or EPIC.

Even shot some 2K Epic S16 with the same glass and compared to the GH2 footage in the same setting, damned close... but of course that's 2K. 3K and up will be a different story.

There's a decent amount of PL lens (S16 and S35) mess-around footage on my vimeo:
    -- just pacing the camera in the worst and unscripted situations so that I know what I'm getting into on the feature.
  • Thank you for all your replies. It was shot at 24p/24h. I have just checked settings and I had been messing around the night before and left on ex tele and 1600 hundred, thought it was strange how one day it could look so beautiful and the next not thanks for your help. I will be less of a muppet in future and check settings LOL.
  • @mrsquirrell

Dont' feel bad, one night I left it on 2x Zoom and was confused at how things changed. Haha. Thought I had broken the camera or something.
  • @Swiss_Boy yeah thanks for the reply. i tried quantum 2 and 5. just too much. so im gonna stick to aquamotion at 100mb's and it still looks amazing. maybe in the future when i get better cards ill do quantum. thanks again!
  • "I tested Quantum 5 with 60i and 60P and had problems with both. 60P failed after 5 seconds or so on a 16GB Sandisk 30M card. 1080 60i suffers from mosquito noise. 24H and 24L both ran fine."
    @Ralph_B
    @Driftwood
    Same issue here with 50i on the very same SD cards.
    Ralph's "Sanity V3" looks great! Indiscernible from Quantum V5 at 24H. GOP12, though.
    50i didn't work initially with Sanity V3 on my camera. I had to lower the FSH Bitrate to 36M. With this setting Sanity V3 outperforms Quantm V5 at FSH/50i.
  • @kholi there are funny blue snowballs all over your footage . . . oh wait . . .
  • Quantum 1080i and 720p requires further in-depth analysis. I need images, videos, settings. Proof of where it goes wrong. Is it constant, is it happening occasionally, etc... Thankyou.
    For the record here's a Quantum 720p60 video (as shown previously elsewhere) and my analysis of the picture does not show mosquito noise. I suggest it happens in varying conditions. NOT all the time.
  • @driftwood
    The mosquito noise I was refering to occurs only on Quantum 1080 60i.
  • @driftwood

I don't have any issues with 1080i. That seems to be stable. Don't know about noise. As I hardly use 1080i.

I only test with sandisk 30mb/sec

With 720p/60 it always gets the writing error in about 6-10 seconds. I did this at iso800, shutter 1/60, auto wb. As I shared before, I test with the 14-140 lens and I use it. Meaning I will zoom in and out with the af on. Normally I shoot leaves outside my window and then refocus and zoom on sheet music in my room. If it can survive 5 or 6 passes of that, then I consider it stable for the time being.

What I've done at the moment, just so I have a 720 option, is roll back the 720p/1080i setting to an earlier patch, Seaquake I think although I could be wrong, and pull some of the frame limits or buffer down a little as I think you suggested a few weeks ago.

I haven't analyzed the clips, so they many not be super good although they seem okay.

If it helps here are the settings(q5 for 24p, changed Seaquake settings for the rest) that work through my test:

Video Bitrate 24H=160000000
    Video Bitrate 24L=100000000
    Video Bitrate FSH/SH=88000000
    Video Bitrate FH/H=48000000
    Auto Quantizer for 1080 modes=4 - All to details
    Auto Quantizer for 720 modes=4 - All to details
    720p50 GOP Size=1
    720p60 GOP Size=3
    1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=1
    1080i60 GOP Size=3
    Encoder setting 4 720p=8
    Encoder setting 1 1080i/p=2