Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • deleted, missed a page ...
  • As I said I low level formatted my SanDisk 30 MB/s card and tried again if the Quantum v6 24L setting would span and it did.
  • @spacewig, trust your eyes. If it looks good to you, it is good. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. We should not all be chasing gophers.
  • @spacewig - My advice would be to use the H setting if you can, and to try to create a workflow around that. H is much, much nicer than L in my opinion, and if you ever want to grade your footage later, I think you'll really appreciate having the additional latitude. I use L for documentary work as @proaudio4 said, and H for just about anything else if I can.
  • @proaudio4
    Understood. But I can't help but feel I just lack the experience for now to see the difference. Given your name, I'll make the presumption that you'll understand the following analogy. Band wants to record drums for rock album. You could use the pres in your SSL 9K. Or you could roll out the sidecar of 1073's. You know there's a difference, and it's audible, but most people would never hear it. However, if you had to chose between running the kick or a bass through one 1073 you'd chose the kick and probably wouldn't even think about it if you were recording a casio keyboard through an SM58. The comparisons are strictly for the sake of illustration. I just thought that those in the know could impart their expertise by offering advice on when the gains made by the higher setting are worth the cost in bandwidth, when it is a consideration. (and if you own an SSL and some 1073's, well it's xmas all year round...)

@Strangways
    That's the most obvious solution but one that costs $200... I was hoping to stretch the one I have now and use the savings for other gear.
  • @spacewig If you pick up a second card, you can have one offloading to the computer while you shoot on the other, and keep rotating between them throughout the day.
  • @spacewig

You just answered you own question: "I would rather not record information that is imperceptible."

If you can not see the difference, you only need to satisfy yourself.

Driftwood's 24L setting is better than stock. You can't go wrong.
    Use the 24L for event and docs.
    Use 24H for higher production cuts where quality needs to be its best.

• Forgot to mention: I would be happy to do a few hours of testing but I do not know what conditions are best for this purpose. If someone could provide a general list of what would really put a strain on the patches I would definitely participate more actively in the development process.
  • @driftwood

OK, lets say I was shooting indoors with the only movement being one or two characters. If my default setting was 24L in your opinion when would it be advisable to switch to H? For master shots? and keep mediums, close-ups and OTS - where there would be less screen space for shadows - in L mode?

I hope I am not coming across as too persistent on this issue. I do have a Sandisk 64 SDXC card but when filming narrative material it is very easy to eat up 54 minutes. Due to the time necessary to dump the card's content onto a hard drive (and from what I've seen the 95MB/s 64GB Sandisk card will transfer at a top speed of 38MB/s on USB 3 = aprox 28mins when full) I would rather not record information that is imperceptible.

Thanks again for your time and awesome work :)
  • Well put driftwood
  • Nothing is clear cut yet as there is a lot of testing still to be done, the i frames in the H setting produce bigger picture sizes and in the lab graph better. To the human eye possibly not a lot. In the shadows you can lift more detail out in post.
  • @driftwood

Sorry if this has been answered before, I simply can't find the answer anywhere:

In what situation would there be no clear advantage of using the H setting rather than the L? Could you please provide a quick and dirty list of where the advantages of using H would be noticeable? i.e. shot of someone waterskiing on a bright summer day from the back of a boat, low light, etc. I'm just not clear on how to put the settings to most efficient use. Thanks in advance.
  • @towi 24L is deliberately set off to do that.
    Can someone trial some real world filming on 720 and 1080i. Ive managed daytime stuff for both with much longer recordings on bushes etc... than peope are reporting. Trying to find peak limits.
  • @driftwood

re Quantum V6 on SanDisk Extreme 30MB/s (8GB) / shooting Codec stress chart:
    24H: works fine. iFrames consistently at 790K in Streamparser
    24H ETC: card speed error after a few seconds
    24L: camera records without isses. Streamparser shows iFrames starting with 780K but dropped to around 550K after 40 frames
    24L ETC: the same as 24L
    FSH/50i: again the same: iFrames dropped to around 375K (only the first frame is 570K)
  • @driftwood

I did a few tests with the new Quantum v6. I was especially interested in the 24L setting which I tested with the 300% speedup for timelapsing purposes.
    I used a SanDisk 16 GB 30 MB/s card and I didn't get it to span. I'm deep formatting the card right now and tomorrow I'll test another one of those cards to see if it's a faulty card.
    Shouldn't the 24L setting span?
  • @khoi no clear advantage except a test of higher buffer. The betas won't neceesariy improve things. I need feedback for all types of tests.
    @chauncy coud you describe your pan & zoom tests in lighting/subject matter detail? Could you post any mts files to me via dropbox?

Thanks
  • @driftwood

The change between V2 and V6 for 24H, would it be anything that anyone could see? What's the advantage or disadvantage? I don't have the cam with me right now so I can't test. =[
  • sandisk 30mb
    doing my usual pan and zoom test with 14-140 lens and af on... both 1080i/60 and 720p/60 failed with card write error within a few seconds. 24p great as usual.

24p did not span on either high or low settings.
  • @tody What kind of bitrate do you get with the V6 on 24H 24p?
  • @ driftwood on quantum v6 bt- so far so good on 24h and 720/60p with sandisk 30mb.
  • A few clips from the show
  • @driftwood

Thanks a lot for your awesome work. I‘ve been following this forum since the release of ptools for gh2 and I really enjoy reading about all the technical aspects behind filmmaking. Great learning in this forum.

@all
    The attached movie is recorded with the quantum 2, 24H, ISO 640, Smooth -2,-2,0,-2
    Graded in FCPX.

• Apologies. I just mean there truly is a lot of junk on YouTube, not necessarily just camera stuff, but in general, there is a lot of pretty worthless stuff. Vimeo at least does not throw it up in a suggestion list alongside your video. in retrospect "imbecile" was too strong, sorry.

Yes, you can pull videos from YouTube, I know. But Vimeo will let you upload (and let us download) straight from camera .mts files, which will retain detail compared an mp4 ripped from YouTube.
  • Strange problem with hi-ISO. Maybe it is known bug, but I cannot find answer:
    Patch SpanMyBitchUp (or Aquamition2)
    1/ ISO3200, 24H
    recording short clip, then i push Play button. Everything is OK

2/ ISO6400-12800, 24H
    recording short clip, then i push Play button.
    Message "This motion image cannot be played".
    In this moment i cannot record any more. I must turn off-on GH2. Then I can play that clip or record new one.

Is it normal behaviour? I had no similar problems with CB44

• @driftwood

Thanks for your reply.
    Indeed, I have understood little by little, thanks to you. :-)
    Do you also think "AQ4 is not not necessarily the best absolutely"?
    Since 3GOP aims at stealing the show of Intra and Long GOP as you also know, especially exquisite balance is important.
    Thanks always!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions