Personal View site logo
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaly >No. Use either camera aimed to screen (for remote) or HDMI to composite converter.

Sorry but it's not right. An HDMI to composite converter can't convert the GH2's HDMI out...
    I tried many and many converter but the picture was always black....It's an GH2's problem !

Please Vitaly activate composite during record or resolve HDMI out compatibility with converters ;)
    Best regards.
  • Hi everyone. I have GH2 in PAL region.
    Is it possible to shoot at 1080p25 after hacking?
    If not, how can I use footage from 5D mark II (25p) and GH2 (24p) in one film?
  • Ok I have a few dumb questions.

1. Looking at this video
    you can notice besides the flickering problem also another one: it looks like there are rigs of light (with different shades) on the wall.. is it possible to eliminate them?

2. After using ptool 3.63 and the suggested configuration, how can I choose to film in 25p?

Thank you
  • matte. i encountered the same problems.
    lpowell pointed me to Panasonic Facebook site for help.
  • Thank you @mdagohoy. I still can't find the answers. Did you refer to the ring problems? Is that a camera problem or related to the hacked firmware?

What about the 25p, is it possible with ptool 3.63 to use it?

Thanks
  • i hope i can be ofhelp but i'm still testing diff settings to isolate my problem

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/22756#Comment_22756

• (Moving question here since it's more appropriate)

Is there a way to hack the focus acceleration slope such that the speed at which we handle the focus ring doesn't matter? Turning 90 degree in one direction slowly then reverting to the initial position at a greater speed, do not put you back at the same focusing distance (which is normal with this acceleration behavior.)

This is a problem when wanting to control the focus from an external motor (putting a step motor to turn the focus ring at predefined distance for instance).

So, I'm wondering if it is possible to cancel this behavior, such that 'n' steps on the focus ring always produce the same update, at whatever speed we moved it.
  • Hello.
    I´m just testing my GH2 with hacks.
    Is it possible to set the GOP in 24H to 1 with 100Mbit for example and GOP to 12 in 24L with a bitrate of 44Mbit? Does the GOP settings change 24H and 24L at the same time? Is it not possible to set different GOPs to 24H and 24L?

Regards

MD
  • @sergio

The hack lets you shoot at 720p25, but not at 1080p25.

Shooting alongside a 1080p25 Canon, you have to either sacrifice resolution (i.e. shoot in 720p25) or shoot interlaced at 1080i50 and deinterlace in post. Probably better to shoot at 1080i50 on both... people generally don't notice quality so much as they notice changes in quality.
  • Nobody seems to have answered griplimited's question from a couple of days ago. I'm having the same problem: higher ISO settings are still greyed out on the camera despite using latest ptools and checking the relevant box (and of course installing new firmware onto GH2).

Is this an indication that the installation hasn't worked, or is there some other way to access the higher ISO settings?
  • What settings are you guys using on PTools v3.63 to include the 12800 ISO?
    I tried a few and not able to produce it. Or is this for testers option only?
  • @griplimited this is in the first couple of setting in PTool. Next to 30min removal and Pal/Ntsc. Right there. (its icon is an up arrow)
    If you are having any issues I would suggest that you tick this box ONLY then save the firmware- and upload to camera.

Good luck.
  • @alcomposer

Thanks buddy, kicking myself in the head right now.
  • I've hacked my GH2 with the 44mbps patch by cbrandin. I have a PNY Professional class 10 card 20mb/s and in 24L and in 24H mode, it will cut off recording after about 10 minutes. I've also tried a Transcend 16 gb class 10 also. Same thing.

From what I've read, the 32mbps is suppose to be stable and span in 24H. Is it my PNY sd card? Should I get a Sandisk Extreme 30mb/s card instead?
  • @smoke23

I have 3 Transcend 32gb Class 10 cards, I have stability up to 88mbps patch. I'm now steady on cbrandin's 44mbps for amount of time per card.

I'm looking to pick up 2 of the Sandisk Extreme 30mb/s cards for when I need more time.

I'd say try another card. The transcend gave me random speeds sometimes matching that of class 6. But you should be able to span.
  • @Sergio Set the 5D2 to NTSC and shoot 24p from that also. Problem solved.
  • Is there possibility to show 70% zebra or 70% hightlights?
    And is there peaking possibility?

(moved)
  • ** NEW ** 'AQuamotion v2' Stable INTRA patch across the board (bar 720p60 which is GOP3) that will span and record for ages on most type 10 cards. See patches thread.
  • If I want to go back to the original firmware and set the increment version to 10 on my first hack, do I put 10 in to hack it back to the original or do I put 1? I tried just to load GH2__V10.bin on my card however when I hit play, nothing happens.

Do you have to go back through ptools?

Thanks!
  • Hi, how do you select the higher iso settings in SeAQuake ? I see up to 12,800 but I can only select up to 3200 and the rest are greyed out... ?
  • @L1N3ARX Download the updated version with the provision of MAX ISO LIMIT REMOVAL = checked now ;-)
    Driftwood 'SeAQuake' - its INTRA all round apart from 720p60 (GOP3). All settings now with enchanced Encoder QP - setc.zip
    797B
  • Two suggestions for inclusions on the PTools download page ...

Can somebody please create a simple Excel table that shows comparison of hacks/patches and how they affect functions in different cameras? For instance, my head is swimming trying to work out basics of (a) original GH2 specs v. GH2 functions that have been successfully upgraded (b) whether recent patches are applicable to all video modes in the GH2 (b) which hacks are stable, in testing or in development(and by who?). The Version History page only goes part way to providing this info and cannot be easily skimmed and assimilated. The Beginners FAQ page (http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/25067#Comment_25067) helps a bit but many of the answers can be out-dated very quickly. The Excel document can be the central overview perhaps????

As a GH2 newcomer, I would also love to also see a Tutorial video walking us through installing the hack software. Basic stuff including definition of patches, GOP, AQ and other jargon! I am happy to collaborate on doing the Excel sheet but can't do the tute video.

Chris.Poynton@gmail.com Victoria, Australia
  • @cp_from_oz just to give you an idea of how fast things are moving here- @driftwood came out with 3 new settings today... all updates... that radially change quality of output and behavior. There is an online google doc documenting bit rates etc but guess what? This is already out of date. If you need any 1-1 help please PM me and I can help out. Other than that- go to the beginning of the PTool 3.63d topic and read the instructions.

Cheers, and good luck!
    Alex
  • @cp_from_oz
    I always advise to try first before making all this huge "tutorials" stuff.
    All patches are explained in PTool.
    All downloadable patches can be imported in two clicks and also have explanation and recommended cards.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions