Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood, can you please explain what you mean by PsF? I tested shooting with SeAQuake in 1080/60i, and it's regular old interlaced video: interlaced format video and interlaced encoding.

BTW, I have also had good luck with spanning under Aquamotion in 1080/30p. It's great. :)
  • GOP3illa
    176M

• @Driftwood Thanks for the new patch SeAQuake
    Testing it now =)
  • @paglez Read this about 60i/50i
    http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/psf8217s_missing_workflow_part_6_tepper_asks_the_camera_manufacturers8230/
    There are several ways to deal with PsF properly. The 1080i stuff has iPiPiP etc... the P frame is the unnecesary interlace incroporated into the file. To get the progressive content out of the wrapper you have to use a PsF application.
  • @Driftwood
    I shot a little video with 1080i SeAQuake settings. Videospec reports that it's a interlaced stream and Adobe Premiere also.
  • Thanks.. i ll try them and report back.
  • where can i find them (AQUAMOTION)?
  • @driftwood Awesome work with 'SeAQuake'. 24p looks absolutely fantastic. With 60i I find I get cleaner video with FSH set to 42kbps, FH set to 35kbps, the 60fps frame limit set to the original default and a GOP of 6 or more. I don't know if it will be possible to ever get good looking 60i GOP 1 out of the camera as the frame limit has to be set so low muddying the fine details. In your patch description what do you mean by 1080i60 INTRA PsF, is it recording 30p progressive video within a 60i container?
  • @JDN Good point mate ;-) @toxotis70 @spanfreaks Even though AQuamotion was made for EX TELE and 80% Slow mode it does work for spanning on normal settings.
  • @driftwood (and those who want spanning) AQUAMOTION spans fine in any situation you need spanning (eg, event photography, stand up interviews, etc). I've used it now for 7 stand up interviews, some which fill up the entire sd card (sandisk extreme 32 gig). So don't kill yourself making a new setting -- just tell people to use this one. That said, if you're going to improve on Aquamotion, can't wait!
  • Hi @Sohus Shouldn't take too long to get your GH2 back, one of my 3 broke a few weeks back - it was hacked to death of course, and had a few dead EVF pixels, but I had it back inside 8 days with no questions asked ;-) The engineer was saying that theyve had a few cases where 'accidental touching of buttons during firmware update or/and with not fully charged battery' cause most the breaks ;-)

Lenses: If you can afford it, the Voigtlander 0.95 thats great, FD adapter to Cannon FD 85mm 1.2 or 55mm 1.2 and I must say I'm mighty impressed with some of the old Olympus OM lenses - especially the fast ones - I love the 50mm Macro f2 (rare) the 35mm f2 (fairly rare), the 50mm 1.2 and 55mm 1.2 are also quite excellent (but rare and expensive). OM to m3/4 adapters are in good supply on ebay. Also with an EOS to m4/3 adaper I got my Cannon 70-200 2.8L working nicely.
    Finally, the Panny Asphericals:- 7-14mm wide is brilliant and the pancake 1.7 20mm. Of course there's many other great lenses out there.
  • @driftwood
    I really miss my GH2 now. Would love to test out your latest settings!

Which lenses do you recommend by the way? I have the 14-140 now and want to buy a new kit the coming months and I prefer to buy 2 - 3 versatile primes for a good price with smooth manual focussing.
  • @BenjaminDUPLAIX In particular try AVCCAM SD Card File Recovery for mac or pc. It will restore and rebuild the file structure and contents of the PRIVATE folder etc..
  • @chauncy Playback can magically come back sometimes. You have to remember this high bitrate INTRA setting can cause audio to stutter, video to act strabgely on camera or off SD card. Copy it over to a decent computer and its hard drive and youre good to go.
    This is using better macroblocking & qp techniques and the quality is definitely better - tested with Elecasrd Streameye ;-)
    Weve had stunning results down here at Driftwood studios. Gotta admit though, I prefer good manual lenses over Panny's 14-140. Dont get me wrong its a good lens if youre into auto focusiing but its problematic. Bring it back down to 6080880 in the frame limits for the 14-140 lens and test.
  • @driftwood
    I use 30mb/s genuine sandisk
    My tests are pretty tough but not anything you wouldn't encounter on a real world event capture. AF on, pans and zooms, move from bright outside to dim inside.

about 720/60p:

seaquake works with 20mm lens. Fails with 14-140. I lowered aq to 1 and 14-140 worked.

However if I recorded longer than about 30 sec with 14-140 it won't play back in the camera. First time that's happened! Less than 30 seconds and it played back in camera.
    both clips played back on computer and stream parser showed nothing odd.

• @BenjaminDUPLAIX To restore files etc... tools such as these can work;-
    https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/avc_download.htm
    Or, if the card is corrupted, file system repair on windows/mac, copy over your private folder to your hard disk, then reformat your card IN CAMERA and start again.
    Normally, a switch off, battery out, turn back on should enable recording again.
  • @driftwood I've just tested your last patch. And It worked for 3 minutes and crash the camera. Now, It doesn't
    want to record at all (Speed limit error), on my sandisk extreme pro 45MBps
  • Thanks... you are the man !

Any 64Gb sd card suitable for those patches ?
  • @chauncy thanks for the test. what sd card did you use? weve had no problems here with 30Mb/s and 45Mb/s cards with 720p60. Ive yet to test it on my 14-140s but it was fine on a variety of manual lenses and the 1.7 panny pancake.

Hint: Try taking down 60fps a thousand at a time on the frame limits until it works with your card with 720p60. You can play with AQ for 720p and make it = 1 too.
  • @Hallvalla Very nice grabs. :-)
    @toxotis70 Mate, you can't have it all!!!! This is an extremely hi quality patch that you won't get without the high bitrate. Learn to work with the spanning issue. If you want good video quality with spanning simply stick to the base firmware settings - they're good enough!

However, Just for the sake of spanfans, I will make a spanning version of GOP1 but the quality will be half that of 'SeAQuake' or 'AQuarius' etc... just so you know. I'll upload it tonight.
  • @driftwood

about seaquake
    the 24p is stable. I don't use any interlace setting because they are evil.

I realize 720/60p is by far the toughest to get working at higher bitrates. With seaquake, it fails on both sh an h quality settings. With 14-140 lens and slow zooms and pans, af on. Fails in about 5-6 seconds. I use only class 10 genuine sandisk.

Aquaris 2 was more stable for 720 as I recall.

What do you recommend to get 720 60 more stable?

I can raise gop and play with aq. I don't quite understand the frame buffers and frame limits.
  • In honor of AQuarius v2 - here are some screen grabs from the Monterey AQuarium. Ungraded. Very dark in there, most shots are 1000+ ISO @1.7 aperture. Can't wait to make some edits.

The jellyfish shots are included to show the smooth background gradations - no banding!
    01.png
    1880 x 1054 - 2M
    02.png
    1884 x 1060 - 2M
    03.png
    1883 x 1061 - 2M
    04.png
    1880 x 1056 - 3M
    06.png
    1884 x 1059 - 3M
  • It's what I was refering to, in my last post : The 4,29GB limit of these patches. It's a limitation of the FAT32 format. But the camera should jump to another file when the first one hit 4,29GB. It does when your are recording at 60mbps or less, but It crash when your are over 60mbps
  • Finally... i tried the latest Driftwood settings and in my 16 GB SD Sandisk extreme (30mb/sec) , 24p recording stopped after 3.50 minutes( 4.2 GB) .
    Is this normal ?
    Is there any solution ?
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions