Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @B3Guy
    Why is ANYONE having issues with .ini files? I download the files with Safari, the boot up PTools with Wine. Put the .ini's in that I want to use in the root of PTools, (put the ini's before launch is initiated) and away you go.

I have never had an issue with downloading ANY file off personal view...
  • Sometimes, if you're not logged in, you can't access the files (ini and embedded images) sometimes it's as simple as checking to see if you're logged in.
  • @shian Quite interested in you getting invoved on our skin tones test. See Art>skin tones showreel if youre in.
  • @driftwood

>>...1080p24H The highest average frames over all other patches around!...INTRA 1080p24L has been taken upto 100M for longer recordings with better quality...>>

First of all, many thanks for all your hard work! But let me ask you a question: Do you really see a difference between 160mbps(H) and 100mbps(L) in this patch regarding IQ? If so, is it possible that you upload a frame comparison where one can see the differences quite clearly? Thanks in advance...
  • @nic2011 Trust me the H setting is better, just do a streamparser test and you'll see ;-). After a few seconds the i frame size for the L setting will drop to around 2/3rds of the max of the H setting. But 'L' is great for longer recordings and perfect for most shots especially during daylight. ie It will cover most situations and is far superior to stock. If you're after highly detailed scenes and best quality, stick to H but of course, it costs you in storage size.
  • @Driftwood
    Just tried Quantum v5 on SanDisk 30mb/s HD Video cards. 24L - doesn't span for me and
    for my work I need this, so I'm jumping back to Qv4. Solid patch for me.
    Your attention to fine tuning these patches is amazing.
  • just checked Quantum V5 24 P H Mode only: doesn't span on Sandisk 64 GB SDXC.
  • IDK why everyone here suggests wine . . . I found it to be a PITA to get working (matter of fact, I couldn't get it running at all). VirtualBox just works.

Anyhow, my point was that a lot of folks just don't understand how this stuff works, because they've never had to plug in numbers, and they end up thinking it is really simple or sometimes think that PTools IS the hacked firmware . . . after walking throughout that part of the process a few times, I have a much deeper understanding of what eat hack is doing (not as deep an understanding as the hackers, for sure, but deeper than anybody who is just loading .ini files.)

Try it once or twice, its good for you (like vegetables)
  • @driftwood -- thanks for your continued work to both push the limits of the upper end while also getting a workable, spanning 100 mbps in L mode. When it comes together, and I'm sure it will, going to be a dynamite setup for anyone in the doc world.
  • I had problems trying to run it, too. I had to reinstall X11, but wine works just fine now.

• Quantum patch with the 25p and global shutter will be incredible I am sure
  • @driftwood. I shot a job last weekend with Quantum V2 on 24p L mode. Was happy with the results and it does span on all my cards.
    I'm a little confused on the v3,4, & V5 now. Seems the L mode is getting pumped up and I'm happy with the L mode of 64 to get spanning and more time per gigabyte. I changed the mjpeg settings to 2fps for time exposures so just looking at your settings for the rest. Haven't tested 30fps, but will one of these days on interlaced.
    If I'm happy with the H (154) and L (64) settings for 24p at 1080 on V 2, so which version should I be using / testing of your Quantum settings?

Thanks again for your tireless & exceptional work.

On a unrelated note, I see where you put your patch on P Bloom's gh2. He is off to do a camera test & decided to include his hacked GH2 with your settings. He is going to be testing against a 7D, prototype Canon C300, Sony F3, FS100, sony NEX5N, & Panasonic af101. Should be interesting as they will be shooting a fair amount without much light at some castle in France amongst other places. You and the hack may be getting some significant exposure depending on how the tests go. Hope you gave him some pointers on SDHC cards, etc....
  • Hi Dr driftwood and otherz^^.

Same than jfro. I like the option to have a balanced compromise in the L setting for long shot (under 50M like the FH mode that i use now), and a H killa setting (all that can eat the gh2 and my 'poor' SanDisk 30mb/s HD Video card).

@jfro you can go to the Quantum b4.
    Up to 64M for 24L (48M in FH) and 154M for 24H (88M in FSH)
  • @Etb, I just modified his V5 for my mjpeg settings and audio. I'm playing with it now. The 24p H and L settings (V5) seem to be the same. Driftwood mentioned slight tweeks in 24p H&L for quality but higher bit rates, so I'm guessing he wasn't takling about 24p H & L settings, ........but I am confused....
  • v5 is all about 720p60 and 1080i60 improvements.
  • I so wish this was available two months ago.
    @driftwood, i will absolutely use these in the future so thank you for the effort. i'll try some real world random test this weekend.
  • @driftwood
    Do the Quantum settings work with the 30mb/sec Sandisk or only the new 95mb/sec one? Also, what about Transcend 32GB... TerrAQuake? Going to shoot lots of stuff the coming 2 weeks. I think I will settle with TerrAQuake if the quality is not that bad compared to the newer settings. I want to buy the 95mb/sec but I wait for prices to come down. 200 EURO's is too much, 150 EURO is more like it for 64GB.
  • @sohus
    I have been able to record high bitrates 24H at 166mb/s and 24L at 100MB/s on both the Sandisk Extreme 30mb/s and Transcend 64gb SDXC class 10. As a matter of fact, I have been able to span at both of these high bitrates on Transcend 64gb SDXC card (less than $100).
  • @sohus quantum still works fine with 30mb/sec Sandisk -- all the talk of the new SDXC cards is just that they will span with driftwood's highest settings, the first cards to do that. If spanning is important but new cards are not in your budget, use Aquamotion 2, which gives you 100 mb/s I frame and will span on most class 10 cards. If spanning doesn't matter, just use your 30 mbps cards with driftwood's latest and greatest.
  • AQuamotion's 100M H setting is now on the Quantum L setting :-)
  • >>I have been able to record high bitrates 24H at 166mb/s and 24L at 100MB/s on the Sandisk Extreme 30mb/s >>

But it failed at Ex-Tele, 1080 80% and 720p60 with the Sandisk Extreme 30MB. So I changed some settings a lot more down:
    24H 96mb GOP3
    60pSH GOP15

Now everything works fine and the IQ and noise behavior is amazing...
  • @driftwood I have tried allot of these new patches but AQuamotion 100M -considering space file size vs quality...gives me amazing quality when graded through Color straight off Prores so its my personal favorite - no 5dtorgb nothing...just straight to Color... plus its super stable. I'm going to use it for the feature film I'm shooting next month....So props again...good Idea to put it on the Low of the Quantum. I have to re-install FCS because somehow I deleted all my master templates/plugins I use but after I get it up again I will share my grading tests from with AQuamotion with you all. Trying to get a nice Super16mm look.
  • @driftwood - just flashed your latest Quantum V5 patch.
    2560x1080p mjpeg is amazing!
    Vegas will import 2560x1080 but rendering was done in 1920x810 (values over 1920 are not accepted for mpeg4 in Vegas 10)
    Because of this squeeze the grain in the rendered cli[p is very fine even @ 3200 iso!! 800 and 1600 iso are so clean! Have a nice further december month!
  • @driftwood
    Your quantum v5 is very unstable for me at 720p. It stopped on all five clips ranging from 15-30 seconds using sandisk 30mb, but the clips definitely have more details. Going back to your stable aquamotion v2.
  • @tody thanks Tody for the report. Your views have been taken onboard.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions