Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
  • 533 Replies sorted by
  • @DrDave

The A7rii has great IQ and very good LL image in Super35. Try it for a day.
    If you are a filmmaker who want no IS, good LL and a bigger sensor, isn't the 6300 just better and cheaper?

Yea, the Sonys are very nice cameras with a nice initial IQ if you're just shooting and uploading... but like I was saying, my job-job is a VFX artist... I'm just too used to 10-bit or higher footage. And yea, the difference is important to me. Skin, for one, has no depth at 8-bit, IMO. It always looks plastic no matter what. So 4:2:0 8-bit footage is just a no-go, period. It will not be usable for any client work and my personal-projects are all VFX driven stuff. Got to have 4:2:2 10-bit, at least... which I why I'm so interested to get another DSLR again, now that the GH5/s actually shoots to a useable codec. Otherwise, I'll just have to take a bit of extra time and use a Blackmagic Ursa 4.6k or something. Maybe I'll just save a bit and hope the EVA1 drops in price... or convince my post-house to buy it... lol. Plus, the none of the Sony's do 60fps at 4k I believe, that's another deal breaker.

I really do, hope that Sony's include 60fps (or higher) at 4K and 4:2:2 10-bit (even to an external recorder) in the future models... I would definitely get one then.

• @endotoxic

I insist that panafriend should make two firmwares. 1 a complete implementations of actual.gha5s 2 a firmware without all temporal noise reduction so we can manage in post . And extra features for disable options in camera. If. This is a pro oriented product born from a consumer one. It is still consumer, but if it is amied to pros we should have proper manual control just like a pro camera.

Completely agree. There is not reason there shouldn't be an extra "off" setting to the in-body NR and Sharpness controls. Does the GH5s team have a twitter or something to get at them?

• There is not reason there shouldn't be an extra "off" setting to the in-body NR and Sharpness controls

Companies will never ever make full off setting for NR. As it means big marketing consequences, as people instantly realize how big role it plays.

Does the GH5s team have a twitter or something to get at them?

No such thing as GH5s team exist. Almost all developers are moved to next project after firmware release, actually most are moved after beta firmware.

• Here's a good example of the really-bad detail I'm talking about. This person seems like a perfectly fine shooter, so nothing against their skills... but the detail is absolutely horrendous. It looks like an old-school 5D mark2 or a cell-phone. Over-processed, everything looks like plastic, artifacts around every piece of dirt. Looks like blown-up 720p. Not sure if this is camera settings or bad-post workflow... but I've seen this look on allot of GH5/s (mostly GH5s) videos. It's even how those Nuemann-Films GH5 original-files looked... so I don't think it's the web entirely. It's not good.

Companies will never ever make full off setting for NR. As it means big marketing consequences, as people instantly realize how big role it plays.

Welp, that sucks...

• @bwhitz

Can be issue with your video card settings or monitor.

Note that by default all GPU drivers like to make accelerated videos to look "pretty".

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Nah... I'm watching EVA1 videos and they look great. I've watched on multiple monitors around office also... same look.

• @bwhitz

May be something personal? :-) It is lot of your upper brain involved in this.

Need to make real double blind test.

• The GH5 is insanely sharp if you want it to be. From what I've seen of the S, rumors of less detail are exaggerated. This whole line of conversation is odd. I thought people were always complaining that things are too sharp, these days.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

May be something personal? :-)

Yes, it is. I'm too used to Alexa, Red, or Varicam footage and now everything else looks like crap.

To be fair... here are some examples of what I'd consider to NOT have the horrible cell-phone-detail look. All viewed from the same computer, same monitor, all on Vimeo.

(and this is on GH5... which makes me think it's the settings, or GH5s is actually worse w/too much NR) I'll just have to rent one. Too many variables online. But I figured I'd post about it and get input either way.

Soft/organic... yet still highly detailed. No fringing or "crunch" around detailed areas...

• @bwhitz

Well, on my monitor, the detail doesn't look horrendous. In fact, at times it's quite sharp. I guess it might be an "eye of the beholder" phenomenon to some degree. One man's pixel is another man's poison. Plus, it's a very hazy day with lots of moisture in the atmosphere.

• @firstbase

Yes, it is very sharp. Like a cell-phone. My iphone is very sharp also. lol. It ruins all the detail though...

I'm just gonna have to rent and try it out.

• @bwhitz

You know that Alexa is actually much inferior in MTFs to your smartphone in good light, right?

May be your brain become so used to image made using rescaling and cheap debayer (yes, sorry, both BM and Alexa are forced to use FPGA with maximally simplified algorithms).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Sure. The Alexa is actually pretty old now. So is a simple Blackmagic 2.5k camera. But, the images don't look compressed from either of these cameras... the details aren't crunched-down and over-sharpened. I don't really care if something is technically done better... if it still has that cell-phoney, over-processed look, it's a no go!

• @bwhitz

But, the images don't look compressed from either of these cameras... the details aren't crunched-down and over-sharpened. I don't really care if something is technically done better... if it still has that cell-phoney, over- processed look, it's a no go!

This is why science exists instead of "I feel it" stuff. Because all this "look compressed" is from same opera as "definitely high end and airy heights" in audio.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I know, what I'm looking at. I look at footage all day. There is visible compression, "halos", and "crunch" around fine details on allot of this footage I'm looking at. "Science" is weird to bring up here... because there is also "science" going on that could explain what I'm seeing... somewhere in the pipe-line there is over-de-noising, or over-sharpening going on that ruins the natural image. The images are over-processed, that's also science. There is sceince as well as art to things... that's why there are directors and DPs... not just a technician that says... "well, scientifically speaking, your cell-phone is more advanced than the Alexa 65... so we're going to shoot Avengers 5 on the iphones we have laying around"

Here is even some more GH5 footage that does NOT have the crunched-processed look to it. The crunch is a very distinct look. It's easy to spot, but it's not in this video. The detail looks very natural here on the horse shots...

• There is visible compression, "halos", and "crunch" around fine details on allot of this footage I'm looking at. "Science" is weird to bring up here... because there is also "science" going on that could explain what I'm seeing... somewhere in the pipe-line there is over-de-noising, or over-sharpening going on that ruins the natural image. The images are over-processed, that's also science.

You can just look at MTFs to see any issue with halos or such. And this is proper way.

No such way as "natural image" exist. Each image is natural, even full negative with stripes and 300% green channel.

For now you want to push your personal taste as some benchmark.

• Some of the Sony cams output 4:2:2 over HDMI. It isn't 10 bit, but it grades well. I have to say, the GH5 is pretty clean as far as artefacts, haloing, etc. It's a good balance.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

For now you want to push your personal taste as some benchmark.

Yea, that's all I was saying. For the projects I'm working on the rest of the year... I wanted a smaller-DSLR camera to own, that has a similar high-detail, yet un-processed look to it. The same look you get from Red or similar camera. Very smooth, but very detailed. I'm not saying my bench-mark is what everyone should go by. And it looks like the GH5 IS capable of it from that horse video I posted. I'm just trying to figure out where in the pipe-line the "crunchy" image comes from (cause the horse guy avoided it) and find a similar GH5s video.

@DrDave

I have to say, the GH5 is pretty clean as far as artefacts, haloing, etc. It's a good balance.

Yes, I've seen a few videos that look very clean... thanks! Just hoping to see similar stuff from the GH5s now.

• Check out the wideangle comparison--

So, that is cool. But overall the GH5 picture is just a bit better.

• And if you are worried about crunch, this is really crunch from the 5s.

a6500 gh5s 2.jpg
    1012 x 534 - 171K
  • But I would be mainly using the 6300/6500 if the heating problem was a total non issue. I even thought of buying one and just drilling holes in it.

Drill just one hole through the sensor.

Overheating problem solved forever.

• @Ironfilm OK I will try it! Drilling now!

Looking at the truly weird log clip comparing the a7s ii with the GH5s I think we unfortunately have to ask the question, why?
    Why is the sky blue on the right and not on the left?
    Why is the Sony not graded properly?
    Why are the rocks orange on the left and not on the right?
    Since it's outdoors, in decent light, why wasn't the clip on the left made using the R series or the a6500?
    Why isn't the GH5 used, as well, to show precise difference between the two cameras in a typical, outdoor situation?
    And we know that the 6500 is going to outresolve the GH5s, so why isn't it there? Weird.
    Why were the clips filmed at two different times, with different cloud coverage?
    Why is the the building overexposed. thus affecting the color of the entire clip?

I mean, seriously. Anytime you have a non blue sky video of a blue sky, all it shows is that you don't know what you are doing.

• Yea, I'd have to say neither looks good in that comparison. GH5s is crunchy again... looks like Canon 7D detail. And the A7SII looks muddy.

• I guess I'm not a good pixel-peeper. To me the GH5S looks great